What would you keep in yours ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chomp

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2018
Round the back skivving
Politics aside, Petrochemicals made other valid points: you are on a small overpopulated island (even without the government, neighbors and others should be close by to help) There are few natural disasters which might disrupt normal routines for very long. I suspect his comment a roll of £5 notes being something to have was made a bit sarcastically but having cash is really good advise —- during power outages plastic cards won’t work.

Even if you believe in governmental aid and have an effective system for getting it, it still won’t be instantaneous or complete.
****Possible scenarios?
- Evacuate from your home due to flooding
****Likely immediate government responses?
- Set up shelters and feeding stations along with emergency care

Even with immediate shelter and food needs taken care of you still will need to have special meds (emergency shelters can’t predict all possible needs and keep that large a stock) ways to entertain your kids, care for your pets, and possibly specialty foods (my daughter’s a celiac and most mass supplies foods are things she can’t have)

Cash is universal, I keep 20 quid in my bag, a tenner of one's and a tenner of 50p's incase I need to get a bag of crisps from a sports hall vending machine, an exact fare bus journey, a shop not having any change..... whatever. I like to keep at least 50 quid in my wallet too. While on the subject of cash, I like to keep a good few hundred in the house for similar reasons, its handy having cash to fill the fuel tank or whatever, it sometimes gets raided to pay for takeaways too. :shameful:

Reactions: santaman2000

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I was taught by war seasoned parents to imagine the various scenarios that can happen, and think clearly what is the best course of action. Different countries - different scenarios.

Here, our largest risk is a bad hurricane with severe flooding, followed by civil unrest.

I am always surprised how slowly and badly states respond.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
To be honest my go bag is sat under my bed. It's a small suitcase with wheels. It is micro packed for a week away from home in a shelter of some sort if I ever have to be evacuated or i have a house fire and have to leave in a hurry... no more. But it does contain a one season bag and a camping pillow. Other than that it has photocopys of important paperwork . NHS number licence insurance passport etc plus copies of family members photos. Toiletries pyjamas spare undies socks and toiletries shirt jeans jumper and trainers.plus some cash. And some chocolate. Though I have to keep replacing that for some reason!

The chocolate is obviously a perishable item hence the need to rotate it on a regular basis.....
Good skills

Chomp

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2018
Round the back skivving
Not sarcastic that, 5ers as i aint expecting change in the zombie apocalypse!

(I suppose its just a case of the boy who cried wolf)

Its why I have change, you never know when you'll need the small denominations. Maybe just the tight Jock in me but I'd be raging if I ended up having to pay a £1.25 bus trip with a fiver, it would be bad enough having to write off 25p. :cry:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not sarcastic that, 5ers as i aint expecting change in the zombie apocalypse!

(I suppose its just a case of the boy who cried wolf)
Yeah, your realistic scenarios aren’t very numerous. I’m not even sure how likely a flood such as I referenced is over there.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Many houses in UK ( and rest of Europe)are built on flood plains close to badly maintained rivers.

Indeed floods are becoming more common, then there’s fire endangering your property, smoke from nearby fire, gas leak and there’s still plenty of unexploded ordinance buried in the uk. All of the above could mean you being asked to evacuate, albeit for a short time.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Devon had a flood just earlier this week at Ottery st Mary. Waist high water some reports said. Roads closed and houses flooded out.
Yes flood and fire are us most common scenarios for disaster. Though I have experienced a tiny earthquake a few years ago and small (in comparison to the US )tornadoes do happen now and again. But though damage to roofs can happen it's not usualy a life and death event.
A nuclear accident could be a big problem as I've just been learning about hinckley points new build. If this place had an
"event" bristol would need to be evacuated and they would have less than an hour to do it. Scary thought!

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
As a year round motorbike rider in a place that gets bad winters I always make sure I've got plenty of cigarettes and a couple of lighters :cool:

That's a joke.....but also true lol
In winter I figure I'm already dressed for the worst weather but I'll often carry a lightweight poncho and a hat for extra weather protection if I have to walk away from a breakdown.
My spanners are wrapped in a long oily rag that I can poke into the petrol tank that should get a fire going in the unlikely event that I decide to wait it out till morning....in fairness I have known near whiteout conditions before.
But I'm never more than a couple of miles from a farmhouse or village so maybe if I hurt my leg or sommat

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Many houses in UK ( and rest of Europe)are built on flood plains close to badly maintained rivers.
If i lived some where that s
Yeah, your realistic scenarios aren’t very numerous. I’m not even sure how likely a flood such as I referenced is over there.

To be honest in birmingham the most extreme events where an f3 tornado, a 4.8 earthquake and 5 inches of rain in 90 minutes, quite remarkable, but only some damage and flash flooding. The only real grab bag situations are industrial calamity evacuations, fires chemicals etc. Definatley the treasured possessions, maybe a folding chair, sun hat warm clothes, small sleeping bad and mat as ive seen the pictures of leisure centres, Ear plugs. Possibly pouch. Underwear and socks, lots 9f sock!

In my zombie bag goes, shotgun shells, forearm armour neck armour and armoured gloves as they are very likely to try biting you there, , machette, lots of antibiutic injections. Lighter for lighting zombies on fire with. Camoflage paint, trip wire and bells for early aalert, perhaps a bit of c4, definatley rope and snare material.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
That's far too much for a zombie apocalypse bag. All you need is a zombie Halloween costume from tescos and some fake blood and you could blend in and grey man it to safety :) :) :)

Reactions: petrochemicals

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
That's far too much for a zombie apocalypse bag. All you need is a zombie Halloween costume from tescos and some fake blood and you could blend in and grey man it to safety :) :) :)

No way WG, and it’s true cos I saw it on the telly. The humans had to cover themselves in zombie stinky body parts to stagger amongst the hoards. And then it started raining. :eek2:

Have you read this, brilliant book from Max Brooks, author of World War Z? It’s actual facts. ;)

https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-gb/...B1Ysewr-Ynnxhik7vnFH1_jH3O4jT7RRoCUeMQAvD_BwE

Apologies Deeks, for the OT.

Chomp

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2018
Round the back skivving
Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
For my own immediate bag, as intended for the thread, I’d have.

2x 500ml sealed bottles of water.
Antibacterial gel.
2x packs tissues.
4x ibuprofen, paracetamol, Piriton and 4 days of my own meds.
A multi tool with scissors, or SAK.
A small first aid kit.
Cash.
Phone.
Torch with usb charge port.
Powerbank and leads to charge and discharge to phone, torch etc.
Spare socks, pants, t-shirt.
A waterproof, like a pack away Snugpack smock.
A very warm layer or a couple of similar options.
Cereal bars, nuts, dried fruit, and high carb bar type stuff.
Favourite sugary sweets or chocolate.
Relevant documentation relating to house, car, life, etc.

And string :D

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Actually we are cut off by flooding regularly and houses nearer the rivers are often flooded or at risk of flood damage.

The grab bag is more about having important documents, small irreplaceable things and enough stuff to last you a few days in one place in case you have to leave your house with very short notice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE