A Woodcarving Gift

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Hi, a member of BCUK contacted me in 2017 to ask a favour and commissioned a carving, well the blank of wood finally arrived 2 days ago! (nothing to do with the postal service) I completed it yesterday with its final coat of stain and preservative, I also added a bit of clear quartz into a natural third eye for good measure. unfortunately I am not able to give any more details for the carvings intended purpose … I will leave that to the recipient. ;)

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
unfortunately I am not able to give any more details for the carvings intended purpose … I will leave that to the recipient. ;)

Steve, that's a wonderful carving.

Just to give some background to this I'm the one who messaged Steve to ask if he'd take this commision on. The wood came from the memorial tree that was planted in honor of Drewdunrespect who sadly passed away 6 years ago. He made a big impact to a lot of folks both on the forum as well as at the Bushmoot and his loss is still felt by everyone who knew him.

Sadly the tree that was planted didn't flourish and the decision was made in 2017 to take it down and a number of members took sections to do something with and the items would be auctioned in 2018 to raise money. I was one of the lucky people who got a section and I knew Steve would be the ideal person to do a carving to honour Drew. Unfortunately it's taken me a bit longer to get the blank to him to work his magic on it but I can safely say the wait is clearly worth it and he really has done Drew proud and to quote him it's 'ausome' :)

The carving will be at the Bushmoot this year and will be auctioned as originally agreed to raise money in Drew's name for the Fistula Society.

I haven't asked Tony this bit but I'm sure he won't object so if you can't make it to the Bushmoot but want a chance to bid on the carving I am more than happy to take private commission bids which I will pass on to Phil (aka Chef/ Midnighthound) who runs the charity auction.

Once again thank you Steve for your patience and your wonderful carving skills, you've done a grand job goodjob :thankyou:

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
There's been an update with regards the carving.

Basically Jean, Drews mum, messaged me to thank me for what we're doing in his memory. She then went on to say that the family would love to have the carving and could I please bid on her behalf. She did give me a limit but also said if someone was determined to have it she would let them do so as she knew how much Drew meant to folks.

Bidding on it for Jean only for someone else to outbid the family didn't sit easily with me and after discussing it with a couple people, who also agreed with my thoughts, I have made the decision to pull the carving from the Moot auction. Instead I have told Jean we want to gift it to Drews family because it would mean so much to her and her family to have it.

As you can well guess she was really happy to hear that :)

So for those of you who might have planned on bidding for it I'm sorry to say you won't be able to because it's on it's way to Drews family. That doesn't mean to say you won't be able to bid on something else in aid of Drews charity during the Moot as Chef will no doubt be having plenty of items for the auction. :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Ok, the story goes on... :)

As you know Steve, aka Woodspirits, carved the original woodspirit which we have gifted to Drews family felt that in doing that Drews charity as well as folks on the forum have lost out by not having something to bid on at the moot.

So he has very kindly donated a new carving of a Woodwitch which will be auctioned off at the moot for Drews charity :)

Here she is in all her glory

48127285616_2210b62961_c.jpg

Steve says she's carved in Ash and is 17" high by about 2.5"

Thank you Steve your generosity in all this is really appreciated by not just myself but Drews family and Drews charity which will benefit from it.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Such a lovely outcome from a passing of a friend.

I didn't know Drew, and I've not been on the forum long, but it warms my heart when people come together like this.

There's something very poignant about the 2 deaths; the person and the tree. The memorial tree being carved after it's death, as any bushcrafter would want, not just firewood, and the family having some of that tree made into something beautiful, and charity benefiting to boot.

Tastefully and respectfully handled, with honour. Well done.

Reactions: woodspirits
I knew drew, and spent many a night under a tarp with him at Brockwell woods.

So lets say a bit about Drew....

From the off he has highly annoying in many respects.
his field admin skills was almost none existent, he had kit everywhere.
Unfortunately he was the but of many jokes.
He used the worlds warmest sleeping bag, If my memory serves me correct it was the Sungpack RE.

Drew was everyone's friend.
He always wore that trademark cowboy hat.
He was great with Kids and made a great impression on my then 6 year old daughter.
I never heard him say a bad word about anyone.
Hes the only person I've known that I could honestly say he didn't have a malice bone in his body.

As a testament to his character, the church that gave him the great send off was packed to the brim, there were even people outside that couldn't get inside. Personally given his young age that speaks volumes.

I was proud to have known him, It was such a shame he left this world at such a young age.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE