Looking for a Rucksack...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
Now I know I have posted up a thread a couple of mo this ago looking for a new Rucksack, and to be honest I still cant make up my mind.

Currently I own a 75L ARC'TERYX Bag.

I try to get out for a two or a three nights at least once a month..

Looking at LBT and Mystery Ranch with a few others. I like burgens with a full access entry design ie. not from the top only. I like some sort of front opening device so that I can not only see everything I'm carrying, but get to stuff right at the bottom without taking everything out first...

However most companies rate there three day bags in there collection at 30L capacity.

Who on here can get a Sleeping Bag, Bivvi Bag, Rollmat, Basha (pegs bungees paracord) Cooking Equipment, 3 days of Rations and Brew Kit, Waterbottles, Water Purification, Spair Clothes, a Waterproof Jacket, Fleece... (and all the other small odds and sods like a Torch, Fire Lighting Kit, First Aid Kit, Knife, Saw, Radio. etc etc

Into a 30L bag ?
In the Army I had to struggle getting everything into 100L

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
I don't pack much in the way of clothes for a '2 nighter' (3 days) and just 8 meals (food wise).
I make up my 'brew-bags' with a teaspoon of powdered milk, a tea bag and 2x sweetener tablets (I'm diabetic) and put into a tiny self-seal poly bag.
The sleeping bag is pretty bulky (but my very small packaged Down bag is in my big-pack) a smaller bag would allow (say) a fleece to be added..

This all fits in my 25 litre 'day-sack' Total weight 10kgs (22.5lbs)

Rucksack (Inc Whistle and Bottle Strap)
Rain Cover
Cloud-Up2 (Frome) 2-Man Tent (C/W Footprint)
Hikenture Inflatable Mattress (Inc Bag)
Vango sleeping bag (28cm x 22cm)
Titanium Frying Pan, Cooking Pot & Contents (Holds - washing up liquid, sponge scourer, 2x lighters, T-spoon, Aluminium foil, & can opener)
Stove & Gas Cartridge
300ml Insulated Mug & Lid
2-Day Ration Bag (A) (~ 2000Kcal per day)
2x Pack Dextro Energy Tablets
8x 'Brew Bags (Tea, Milk Powder, Sweeteners) Inside Mug
Poncho
Pants & Socks
Wash Kit
1st Aid Kit
Roll Zinc Oxide Tape (10mts x 2.5cm)
Folding Trowel (Inc Toilet Paper)
30,000 Ma Solar Power Bank (recharge phone, headlight etc)
Headlight
Torch
USB Light
"Bits & Bobs" (Knife, 2x Zip Pullers, 2x Spring Grips, 2mts Para Cord)
Charger Leads
500ml Bottle Water (x 2)
Water Filter Pump-Kit & Contents

Reactions: shaneh

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I can do a -5*c hammock overnighter in 15ltr bag.
35ltr easy weekender assuming I can resupply water

But folks like me who will post on this thread are usually gonna ultra light types who've spent god knows how much and how long refining kit

So are you saying you want a 100ltr bag?
I would think only folks like kifaru mystery ranch etc will have weired and wonderful opening designs in big packs like that

On the smaller side camelbak tri zips come up on eBay now and then. Can't remember the capacity but I'm sure it's more than 30ltrs

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
Who on earth needs spare clothes for a couple of days out?!

I personally take clothes wise...

Spair pair of Socks, Underwear and a T-shirt.

I have a Zoot Suit and an pair of Arctic Socks
Which I use for warmth and instead of a sleeping bag liner.

For winter or very cold weather I take a pair of Ronhill trousers and a long sleeved shirt and use them as part of a layered system if needed...

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Ditch the radio and other electronics.
Roll the sleeping bag into a hard thin s@usage, then roll that into your tent/tarp, roll that into your undermat.
Place in a water protective bag. Strap to backpack. Outside.

What is a brew kit? Do you really need more than one water bottle? Why a saw?

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I have 4 main packing options, depending on what I'm doing and the weather conditions. I also consider my clothing as part of my packing system so items such as cuts kit, cordage, and compass are stored on my person. My packs are:

Bergans Langevann hip pack (11ltr). This is for day hikes all year. If the weather is bad, I'll be wearing my waterproofs and possibly a lighter mid layer as well. If it's summer and the weather is good I won't pack warmer layers or waterproofs.

Eurohike rucksack (20ltr). For a quick over nighter in the warmer months or a day hike in mountains. By strapping a tarp and waterproofs to the outside, I can save some considerable space internally and still be super comfortable.

HM supplies Ronum rucksack (55ltr). Brought at a car boot. It's camo but I don't mind that so much. I modified it by removing the side pocket zips an adding two extra outer pouches. The main pack is 45ltr and cavernous with outer pockets about 3ltrs each. There's a slim lid pocket. I can get enough gear in this for a week easy, including food but assuming I can reach water.

Snugpak sabre 45 with army side pouches. (65ltr). For winter or trips over a week. I can get everything I need in here. Assuming food resupply every week.

I hasten to add that none of these packs suit the OPs main requirement of being accessible from top, front or bottom. But all of them are under 100ltr and I can pack to be comfortable whatever the terrain or weather conditions are. My gear list remains very much the same where ever/what ever, the only items that may change are types of layers. For example in the summer woods a flannel or wool shirt would do as a warm layer, but in the Highlands of Scotland in winter? A primaloft/Pertex hooded jacket is more suitable!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Reactions: shaneh and Janne

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
Ditch the radio and other electronics.
Roll the sleeping bag into a hard thin s@usage, then roll that into your tent/tarp, roll that into your undermat.
Place in a water protective bag. Strap to backpack. Outside.

What is a brew kit? Do you really need more than one water bottle? Why a saw?

Brew Kit = Tea or coffee, sugar powdered milk.

I carry 2 black army water bottles 1L each.
I have a mill bank bag, and water purication tablets. Also an MSR water filter. I find that if you only carry one water bottle, at some point you will have NO water! And your always trying to source water or having to walk back and forth to you main water supply more than once a day.

Radio for contact with the outside world mainly listening to the news.

I have a Laplander handheld saw, I have a titanium wood stove and use wood that need to be of a curtain size. For its size and weight it's better than an axe. Also setting up camp a small saw is handy.

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
I can do a -5*c hammock overnighter in 15ltr bag.
35ltr easy weekender assuming I can resupply water

But folks like me who will post on this thread are usually gonna ultra light types who've spent god knows how much and how long refining kit

So are you saying you want a 100ltr bag?
I would think only folks like kifaru mystery ranch etc will have weired and wonderful opening designs in big packs like that

On the smaller side camelbak tri zips come up on eBay now and then. Can't remember the capacity but I'm sure it's more than 30ltrs

100L is too much. back in the days, I remember being a radio operator and having my own webbing 100l bergen (full of crap) clansman 320 radio with an ancillary bag, Roll of Don10 and an extensive Med Kit.

I have learnt that the more you carry the more it weighs...

I'm at 75L would probably like to realistically reduce it to 50L

Reactions: Van-Wild

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Brew Kit = Tea or coffee, sugar powdered milk.

I carry 2 black army water bottles 1L each.
I have a mill bank bag, and water purication tablets. Also an MSR water filter. I find that if you only carry one water bottle, at some point you will have NO water! And your always trying to source water or having to walk back and forth to you main water supply more than once a day.

Radio for contact with the outside world mainly listening to the news.

I have a Laplander handheld saw, I have a titanium wood stove and use wood that need to be of a curtain size. For its size and weight it's better than an axe. Also setting up camp a small saw is handy.

Can you carry the water bottles strapped outside the backpack?

I find that many smaller backpacks today have a myriad of straps crisscrossing the bag, but not enough large pockets or elasticated heavy mesh pockets.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
100L is too much. back in the days, I remember being a radio operator and having my own webbing 100l bergen (full of crap) clansman 320 radio with an ancillary bag, Roll of Don10 and an extensive Med Kit.

Would a top opening plus bottom access zip do you? (Berghaus vulcan style)
If so check out wisport packs. Ive got one of their 45ltr packs and it's a pretty roomy 45ltr. Well made too without being as heavy as issue kit

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK

If you would like to reduce to circa 55ltr, have you considered a medium alice pack? I have one which I got in a trade here. Without the frame it is light enough but very robust. Again, mine is camo, Malaysian pattern and looks cool. (Not that that matters much I suppose ). With the frame it could bare some considerable if compact weight. With 3 pockets on the outside, maybe this could balance with your preference for multiple entry?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
="shaneh, post: 1909603, member: 12581"
I have a Zoot Suit
Come again?

Zoot suit.
Red-Wine.jpg

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
A Zoot Suit is a parachute material made jacket and trousers, normally used by soldiers in the jungle as night clothes, under cover (tarp or in Hammock) this suit is a lightweight 'dry set' of clean clothing (They are also very quick drying) the same wet clothes from the day before are put on for day / work / combat wear...

Red isn't my colour.
Lol

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
A Zoot Suit is a parachute material made jacket and trousers, normally used by soldiers in the jungle as night clothes, under cover (tarp or in Hammock) this suit is a lightweight 'dry set' of clean clothing (They are also very quick drying) the same wet clothes from the day before are put on for day / work / combat wear...

That is the official version?
:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE