Low Budget Full Tang Knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

z_bumbi

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2016
Linköping, Sweden
Low budget: Mora 511. Cheap, a lot of colors other than black. Sharp from the start and easy to shapen. It's not for heavy batoning and slashing.

Slight higher: hultafors ok4. Full lenght tang, 3,2 mm blade, sharp from the start, easy to sharpen. Can be used for batoning. The sheat has a built in loop for a firesteel.

Not longer low budget but cristmas is around the corner.
Sissipuukko: secure leather dangler sheat, sharp, the newer ones have a thinner blade (the older ones have different grind), comfy handle.
Jägaripuukko: secure leather dangler sheat, sharp, 4 mm blade with two different heat treatment so the blade can withstand a lot of abuse. If you break it you have done something very naughty with it.

Reactions: Janne

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
This has prompted me to look about but as I thought, there really isn’t anything about for a small budget.

There is the Cold Steel GI Tanto that is full tang, currently under £25 and the 1055 mid carbon steel appears to be well received but that is neither 4 inch blade nor probably the style that would “please” everybodys taste. It does make a stronger case for itself for someone willing to put the time in and modify it like a lot of people do.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
A green river / hunters dadley can be had for under £20 there full tang not stick and considering there history and the time of there use, it is one of the first wilderness knives so should be good for some thing :D

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I see there is some love for the Mora Garberg out there .. not quite to my taste and looks expensive for what it is, but a full tang apparently

Jun 28, 2013
gwynedd
Steel will ,real steel and schrade make quite a few full tang knives at bargain prices some with d2 steel .I myself have a manly patriot which i paid £45 direct from bulgaria d2 steel and kydex sheath

Feurio

Jul 15, 2019
Bavarian Alps
Are you aware that Mora offer a “heavy duty” version of the companion? Almost full tang, ridiculously cheap, easy to sharpen and pretty lightweight.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
What is the definition of 'full tang' ?

Rat tangs run all the way through but are not exposed top and bottom.
For me, a Full Tang means that the metal is exposed all around the handle.

Feurio

Jul 15, 2019
Bavarian Alps
What is the definition of 'full tang' ?

Rat tangs run all the way through but are not exposed top and bottom.
For me, a Full Tang means that the metal is exposed all around the handle.
and right you are. I just wanted to point out that the rat tang in the "heavy duty" version is almost as long as a full tang, and therefore will be robust enough for @Erbswurst.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The benefit of not having metal showing at the top is that if the handle is made from a nice cushioning polymer, it is also cushioned on the spine side.
Nicer to use hard!

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
An interesting point.

May be the Skandinavians are absolutely right with their traditional design.

It's incredible, how complicated it is to understand that simple tool...

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Different customs in using it.
And how to see it. A tool? An ornament? Collectible?

I think the rat tang was developed because people were dirt poor in Scandinavia, and steel was expensive.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I collected knives untill I organised a youth exchange with young Kossaks from Novosibirsk.

I think, the collection is well used and the Sibirian Kossaks nowadays are very well informed about Scandinavian knives.

;0)

Now a days I collect cheap knifes and compare them: Mora, Hultafors, Opinel, French fishing knifes like Flashmer.

The most expensive knife I own today is a simple but original Laguiole.

But usually I use a Victorinox Compact. For me the optimal trekking and traveling knife.

In the end I will end up with Victorinox folding nail scissors I guess.

;0)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
As someone that made knives from files at school (yes, believe it or not, we were shown how to make knives in metalwork when I was at school! - including heat treatment) I wouldn't dream of trying to buy a decent full tang knife at low cost. I'd buy a good blade blank (many for less than £20) and fit a handle.

I have rat-tail knives, partial tang knives …. but when I'm working in the wood and need a tool to do the job, it will always be a full-tang knife.

Reactions: Stew and Nice65

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
My point is, that I am interested in equipment for beginners, a self explaining plug and play solution for young people.

I buy and test cheap equipment to become able to write a beginners equipment list with inexpensive but long lasting equipment that is independent from special offers, help from others, national circumstances.

I look for stuff everybody can order in the internet and use it out of the box.

I can't recommend a 13 years old boy I met in a bushcraft forum he should make his own knife.
He will not own the tools and usually he will not be able to do that without help of adult persons.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I think the problem is the quality vs cost.
You can buy a cheap full tang Asian made knife off the internet, but you do not know the quality. Can be decent, or maybe not.
If it is not good, so bad steel, bad hardening, no edge retention, badly designed blade or handle, or a combination, then that cheap knife becomes very, very expensive.

I would never recommend a full tang knife for a youngster. He/she should be used to treat and use a knife properly.
If you use a knife but you need a full tang or you would break it, then you should have used a pry bar or an axe.
If you break the tip during extraction of a nail, it is not the knife that is badly de#igned with a tip that is to thin.
Yeah, did that this summer......

That is where brands designed like a classic Mora come in handy. The thin rat tail will teach you.
Most of my generation and older broke a Mora or two du4ing our early days.
Today they are much, much stronger, except the Classic which has the old fashioned tang design.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE