Hot footing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 29, 2019
Uk
As my bushcraft involves a lot of fire management I tend to use my walking clothing and boots. Have you any suggestions on what to wear so I can keep my good and usually expensive kit smoke free. Boots, need to be comfortable for all day wear, clothing fairly flame retardant,. Gloves I would like to find a pair I that could be used walking and heat proof enough for fire handling. Any suggestions ?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Most of my gear is specifically used for bushcraft. I have other gear for camping and/ or walking. If you are doing fires you just won't keep anything smoke free.
I don't wear expensive gear in the woods. It's asking to be damaged.
If you want flame retardant use wool jumpers or shirts. Gloves.... well walking gloves are just not suitable for working with fires. Just get yourself some army trousers and some comfy boots and a pair of work gloves. A ex army jacket and it's cheap and you are good to go. Realy it's silly to wear expensive gear . Why would you want to? You don't need to make a fashion statement!
I tend to use woodland cammo rather than army gear. It's mid range and meant for the job.

Reactions: Erbswurst
Aug 29, 2019
Uk
Cheers Woody, wooly jumpers and shirts. I feel itchy just thinking about them from my Army service. Yes I could wear army surplus, but the scouting association are not keen on leaders wearing camo clothing. Boots I could get away the an old pair of leather boots. Gloves still looking for something duel purpose.
I am a fully trained in handling fires. Just looking for better kit.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Keep an eye out for Austrian army surplus kit. Decent quality and they are one of the few armies that still wear plain olive green. Also German army moleskin trousers are great. You'll not find them surplus anymore but they are still available new, and still made to the same specs (if you get decent ones). Usually to be had for under £40. They are 100% cotton so good around fires and don't look too tactical. They don't dry particularly fast though.
As for gloves. I've no recommendations for dual purpose ones. I use leather work gloves around the fire and for rough work.
I can highly recommend Altberg army boots. The most comfortable boots I've ever used. Available with or without a waterproof membrane (I have the non waterproof version for better breathability and they've never let any water in) and they come in brown, so not so military looking.

Reactions: Erbswurst
Aug 29, 2019
Uk
Cheers Snufkin, will see what I can find on the net. Altberg boots are a good idea, I pass through Richmond when I go to Swaledale.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Ah . I had a picture of you in the woods on your own as you didn't say it was with scouts initially.
I'd still recommend a wool jumper over a long sleeve thick cotton shirt. I too hate the itchy feel and have very wool sensitive skin. Yes plain green or brown clothing would be more appropriate I guess. I live quite rurally so tend to wear more rural style clothing . A good green tweed coat for those chilly days (charity shop find) is my favourite for woodland autumnal and winter wanderings but I don't do fires in it! I'm sure you will find the right kit. What do the other leaders wear? Maybe they can recommend some gear.

Aug 29, 2019
Uk
I do wild camp when solo and use fires when safe. Will try some wooly jumpers and shirts over a good base layer. Fleece tops might be an option ? Above all I will be out there. February 2018 we han an interesting visiting the Scouts in New Zealand. They are not allowed any campfires :-( We made some Hobo stoves out there with large catering cans, but had to use them on a concrete car park.:emoji_joy:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
https://www.bw-laden.de/Bundeswehr/BW-Bekleidung/BW-Feldhemd.html?listtype=search&searchparam=Bw hemd

It's original Bundeswehr, old pattern, but new product. I recommend to choose it one size larger and to wear it over the thin Solognac fleece jacket if necessary.

That's what I use for hiking.

20% Polyester, 80% cotton.
Spark resistant and midges proof!

This shop delivers you for example Leo Koehler products too. A lot others do that as well, but only a few deliver the original shirt, that comes from another cutter. Most other shops offer miltec shirts in Bundeswehr stile , which are rubbish.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Decathlon offers Solognac hunting clothing in children sizes too.

A boy scout leader should notice that!
The stuff is cheap but very good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE