Really Useful Boxes.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody110

Mod
Mod
Mar 8, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire
Have got back from the moot a few days ago, and still wading through the randomly packed bags and boxes, I have been looking at streamlining my kit packing. I’m pricing up a few more Really Useful Boxes for kit, and just wondered if anyone has adapted a large one for use as kitchen storage. I’m not thinking of a chuck box, more of a storage unit for travel, as I have fold out units for the awning.

So if anyone has photos of what they have done, it would be much appreciated. If not, I will have to think for myself and post up some photos later.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Haven't adapted them, but have been using two of those boxes, a 35 and a 64, which I have used for transport and storage of food at the Moot for a number of years.

Are you thinking of storing food, kitchen implements, or both in the same box? The boxes do not seal, so over time things in cardboard can become damper, and if placed on the ground you do get earwigs making an appearance. Perhaps some sort of adhesive backed foam seal strip would solve those.

Will be interested to hear if anyone has done something creative. I had been thinking about making dividers for the 64L box, but I doubt I have packed it the same way twice and without a consistent kit divides would get in the way.

Woody110

Mod
Mod
Mar 8, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire
47C42410-28F7-466E-882B-A1FD9E58BE51.jpeg I did look at those with the fold down lid, unfortunately the factory shop where they make them is closed at the moment. They are about a 20 minute drive from my house!

I wasn’t thinking of using the big one for storing food, I have a selection of smaller ones for that, and once in camp they get emptied into kitchen cupboards, I’ve attached a photo of the moot kitchen.
It was more a transport and storage of cooking and eating equipment, however I really like the idea of the foam to seal the box, draft excluder would do the trick, just need to remember to open the box when at home, or drill a few holes in the lid, and stick a fine mesh over them.

Woody110

Mod
Mod
Mar 8, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire
For info this is an 84L box from Homebase for £20.
I have a selection of others for the back of the Landy, however I’ll be adding to them over time to help keep kit sorted and stowed I’m a orderly fashion. I’m sick of shopping bags for my kit.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
We use one for our kitchen box - not as big as that but packed to the brim. Actually just carried it downstairs for a sort and re-pack.

I use quite a few in the garage as well. What I like is that they have itdesigned so that they stack well together, including boxes of different sizes.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'm afraid I have fallen out with 'Really Useful Boxes' - they're great for the home/office environment but just too fragile for camping and trekking in the Landy. If the bases don't crack the handles do. I shifted over to Euro/ISO standard boxes from Solent Plastics some time ago (available elsewhere as well); they are much much stronger, come in a variety of sizes, lidded or open, and all stack locking into each other making it easy to make the load secure in the back of the vehicle.

A fraction of the price of the Wolf boxes often used for trekking but just as good IMHO

See:

https://www.solentplastics.co.uk/stacking-plastic-containers-boxes/

and:

https://www.solentplastics.co.uk/stacking-plastic-containers-boxes/hinged-lid-euro-containers/

as examples

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I have been using packing boxes for a while now. I went with wolf boxes, mainly because I already had one. Having a kitchen box really makes things easier to use. We use stuff from Solent Plastics at work and they are also very rugged.
68894939_10156647232778412_4560653848376508416_n.jpg

68595741_10156647232823412_2771760026396655616_n.jpg

Lots of tea towels cut down on the rattles too!

Louis

Woody110

Mod
Mod
Mar 8, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire
I'm afraid I have fallen out with 'Really Useful Boxes' - they're great for the home/office environment but just too fragile for camping and trekking in the Landy. If the bases don't crack the handles do. I shifted over to Euro/ISO standard boxes from Solent Plastics some time ago (available elsewhere as well); they are much much stronger, come in a variety of sizes, lidded or open, and all stack locking into each other making it easy to make the load secure in the back of the vehicle.

A fraction of the price of the Wolf boxes often used for trekking but just as good IMHO

See:

and:

https://www.solentplastics.co.uk/stacking-plastic-containers-boxes/hinged-lid-euro-containers/

as examples

I must admit, they are not the cheapest out there, and the ones who have said look good. Unfortunately I already have quite a few of the really useful boxes, I’ve been using them for years now and never had an issue.
I’ll have to stick with them though as I can’t mix boxes, it just won’t look right.

Woody110

Mod
Mod
Mar 8, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire
I have been using packing boxes for a while now. I went with wolf boxes, mainly because I already had one. Having a kitchen box really makes things easier to use. We use stuff from Solent Plastics at work and they are also very rugged.
68894939_10156647232778412_4560653848376508416_n.jpg

68595741_10156647232823412_2771760026396655616_n.jpg

Lots of tea towels cut down on the rattles too!

Louis
What’s that on the back of the drivers seat?

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
What’s that on the back of the drivers seat?
I had the guys at British Tactical http://www.britishtactical.com/ make up a MOLLE panel of an appropriate size means i can custom build a seat back organiser. I can switch it around onto the front of the passenger seat for handy stowage if i am on my own. I have some other pics of it on my Instagram (wildgoattravels)

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK

See:

and:

as examples

Not used the Solent plastics stuff but will take a look, next time I need something like that.

IME, the RUBs are OK for domestic use and for occasional expeditioning but like you, I have found them a bit too fragile for long term use but TBH, I’d probably take them over the wolf boxes which are a bit small, (unless they have improved since I last looked at them), have flimsy catches and despite being marketed specifically to Expeditionise your Landy, are not dust proof - the back of a Defender is a magnet for dust and sand. The ammo box image appeals to some people but there are better solutions.

IMHO the “gold standard” for expedition storage is the aluminium Zarges box, light, strong, available in a vast array of sizes, stackable and fitted with an o ring to make them water and dust proof and (to a degree), vermin proof. The downside, the eye watering cost of them new! I was lucky to get 8 of these for £30 a pop at a Landy show many years ago and built a storage system for my 110 around them.

https://www.zargescases.co.uk/product/k470-aluminium-case-60l-2/

They do occasionally come up for sale on the Bay of E etc (esp the half sized medical kit ones) but people seem to have cottoned on to their value and I have never seen them for the price I paid since.

I ended up removing the middle row of seats and fitting a box either side of a fridge. They can still be used as a somewhat uncomfortable seat for short journeys but probably not recommended on the road in the U.K.

After three and a half years of near constant bouncing around in the back of a 110 they are a bit scuffed and scratched but functionally as good as new.

A great solution if money is no object (and people do spend silly amounts of money on expedition and off-road accessories) or you get lucky - and no I’m not interested in selling!

Another lucky find I made (which again I’ve not seen since) were some heavy duty fibreglass suitcases about half the size of the Zarges boxes and which originally contained the sights for a Milan antitank missile, complete with lens cloths and brushes. Similar to this one but smaller, in mint condition and only a tenner.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ex-Milit...344735?hash=item2f30eda99f:g:S-cAAOSwA2Fc4oFt

Stripped of the foam padding and painted in some less “warry” colours to conceal their origins they made excellent storage boxes for heavy spare parts etc. Highly recommended if they turn up for sensible money.

To misquote Dirty Harry, “Everyone has an opinion” ;) I hope the OP finds something that works for them! :)

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Over the years I've used everthing from Ikea bags, vacuum bags, cheapo plastic boxes and old wicker baskets to organise my car camping kit in such a way that it also packs nicely into the car. They've all come and gone due to breakages.

I've since decided to make my own boxes out of plywood which gives me the luxury of customising them to my own spec. I'm also very interested in constructing a dedicated kitchen/chuck box. Should make a fun project in the shed!

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Over the years I've used everthing from Ikea bags, vacuum bags, cheapo plastic boxes and old wicker baskets to organise my car camping kit in such a way that it also packs nicely into the car. They've all come and gone due to breakages.

I've since decided to make my own boxes out of plywood which gives me the luxury of customising them to my own spec. I'm also very interested in constructing a dedicated kitchen/chuck box. Should make a fun project in the shed!

Always great to make your own custom stuff, just bear in mind, to get the same strength and rigidity from plywood as you would from plastic, fibreglass or aluminium, you will end up with a lot more weight.

Shouldn’t be an issue just for a kitchen box but I’ve seen quite a few people come a cropper using plywood to kit out campers or expedition 4x4s without taking account of the weight! :)

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I had the guys at British Tactical http://www.britishtactical.com/ make up a MOLLE panel of an appropriate size means i can custom build a seat back organiser. I can switch it around onto the front of the passenger seat for handy stowage if i am on my own. I have some other pics of it on my Instagram (wildgoattravels)

You can get some similar ones they knock out from China - e.g. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_4,searchweb201603_52 more available if you search in aliexpress (or similar) for 'Molle Seat'. Plenty of Molle pouches then available if you need them on the web (inc ebay)

I bought a couple, and have them permanently riveted to the back of the bulkhead (behind the front row seats) in the SWB land rover.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE