Anyone From Lancashire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

paulds

Sep 28, 2016
Manchester
I’m not really feeling like travelling far tbh. I’m just back from a walk around Haigh Hall in Wigan. Lots of places to explore there for a day. Big fire would be out of the question, but a small Kelly kettle/stove would be fine. A few saplings to harvest for whittling projects too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just had a look at Haigh Hall, looks like a large estate. Do they have many rangers checking the woods? I'm always concerned with taking sharps into such areas

HeatherS

Apr 22, 2012
Horwich
Nope-the council is out of money! As far as I understand the law, it’s ok to take knives. It’s the fire which you need landowners permission for.

Reactions: paulds

paulds

Sep 28, 2016
Manchester
Fair enough, I take it the estate is vast enough that you can disappear far enough into the woods that you can avoid ill informed members of the public who might phone the police when they see you cutting down saplings?

HeatherS

Apr 22, 2012
Horwich
Went today and harvested a small sycamore sapling. Saw two people in the whole time I was there, so don’t think there’s anything to worry about! Found some old hazel stands too, that could be good to harvest. Shall we pencil in a date? I can do weekend after next.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Civil matter I've been told (by a wood owner who had live trees cut down for fire wood by somebody known to her). Very hard to do anything about it even if you got caught. Although ethically you are probably on a sticky wicket.

Reactions: mikehill

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just been through my first dbs check carried out through scouts. The person who does all that paperwork in our local group said the check is organisation specific in that they won't accept dbs checks carried out by another organisation and others would still need to repeat the check for their organisations. Not sure if 100% accurate but she has been doing dbs paperwork for a few years for scouts and other places (also something in a school but can't remember what).

My partner has had a few short term contracts of up to 2 years (most a few months at a time) and each one has needed a new enhanced dbs check. Potentially working with vulnerable adults and young children level of checks. Scouts won't accept it despite it being higher level I believe.

If you need dbs for a meet I suspect there's a few without such a check in attendees. Whilst I bet there's a few interested who are involved with volunteering for scouts or child groups it's not everyone.

HeatherS

Apr 22, 2012
Horwich
Is it legal to “harvest saplings” on others land ? I thought even taking fallen wood was a case for asking permission.

Yeah, you’re probably right. But it’s a vast estate and the landowner is the council, so has very little interest in it. If you’re not comfortable with harvesting wood, you could bring your own along? Or just focus on different sskills like shelter building and knots?

HeatherS

Apr 22, 2012
Horwich
Just been through my first dbs check carried out through scouts. The person who does all that paperwork in our local group said the check is organisation specific in that they won't accept dbs checks carried out by another organisation and others would still need to repeat the check for their organisations. Not sure if 100% accurate but she has been doing dbs paperwork for a few years for scouts and other places (also something in a school but can't remember what).

My partner has had a few short term contracts of up to 2 years (most a few months at a time) and each one has needed a new enhanced dbs check. Potentially working with vulnerable adults and young children level of checks. Scouts won't accept it despite it being higher level I believe.

If you need dbs for a meet I suspect there's a few without such a check in attendees. Whilst I bet there's a few interested who are involved with volunteering for scouts or child groups it's not everyone.

I also do DBS as part of my job working with kids. The certificates are transferable, but it depends on the job description and the level. Eg an enhanced DBS for a teacher should be accepted by scouts. But a dbs listing a job as an accountant wouldn’t be accepted. (The police only disclose crimes relevant to the role given)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I also do DBS as part of my job working with kids. The certificates are transferable, but it depends on the job description and the level. Eg an enhanced DBS for a teacher should be accepted by scouts. But a dbs listing a job as an accountant wouldn’t be accepted. (The police only disclose crimes relevant to the role given)

Scouts don't accept a dbs by anyone else. They have their internal procedures and it's their policy not to deviate. They have their own software for the dbs check. I asked about transferring dbs checks.

I know of a researcher who has done projects with elderly, army and pre-schools. Each had their own enhanced dbs checks. Each check was deeper than most checks and not one was transferable. That person had to also do a new one for scouts.

It does seem daft that not all organisations accept the dbs checks carried out in other, similar organisations or ones with the same requirements for dbs. Perhaps that's not universal but it's the case in the ones I know about.

HeatherS

Apr 22, 2012
Horwich
How about we do next Saturday (7th), 2pm. Meet at the Hall lane entrance to Haigh Hall, by the Lodge House.

HeatherS

Apr 22, 2012
Horwich
Sure. What time is better for you? I can’t remember where you’re travelling from.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE