Cloak Wearers - Step Forward

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
It's the stuff that apj1974's clergyman's cloak should be made from.

It is!

I agree with you about the length etc. the clergy cloak wouldn't be too practical around a camp fire, its more of a standing around in very cold or windy places type of cloak. I would say that the wool is more than showerproof.

Also a useful feature on the clergy cloak is a pair of "handles" on the inside front which you can hold it closed with or pass a belt through.

I remember an old policeman telling me it was a sad day they scrapped the cloak as it meant the copper could no longer stand on street corner with his hands in pockets!

Last edited:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
The hood is deep enough to come right round to within two inches of the front facings

Try to cut the hood so that there is no seam over the top of your head. This way there are no shoulder or head seams to let rain through and no shoulder seams to rub under a pack.
To free your arms entirely both fronts are thrown backwards over your shoulders.........think Roman squaddie or knight in armour style :D
cheers,
Toddy

Arrgghhh and confusion reigned.....

Mary,
I really like the idea of a Birrus Britanicus, & I was going to pick your brains at the moot but I'm having trouble visualising these points.....

A hood deep enough to come within 2" of the front facings.... is that a measurement over the top of your head? and which bit is the "facings"?

No seam over the top of your head.... Does that mean the seam runs around the hood in a similar line to a collar - or have I got that wrong as well?

Freeing your arms by throwing the front over the shoulders.... in looking at your photo, you'd either have a whole bundle of fabric around your throat, or you'd have to push the entire front up over your head, while leaving the neckline fastened - not sure I've grasped this idea either.

Feel free to ignore the queries, as I'm sure it will all become apparent within a few short minutes at the moot - and once I've got it, no doubt I'll fiddle with the idea until I come up with a pattern for me.

Cheers again

Ogri the trog

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I understood these (and I may be as wrong as you Pete) as
Front facings no idea but perhaps the hood should be deep enough to cover the face sticking out a bit.
Seams - often hoods are made with 2 seams down each side, just above the ear line
As I understand it, there is a full length split down the front so each half can be thrown independantly over the shoulder

I'm probably wrong too mind

Mark

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
For those unable to sew on a button without pricking their fingers.......http://ew-trading.com/shop/baggage-trayne-historical-clothing-c-2_46/wool-cloak-p-138

I have one and it works. It is an army blanket, shaped to fit and with a hood sewn on. It keeps me warm and doubles as a sleep blanket.

I also have a poncho which, being lighter, is great for the warmer months. Feels great to wear as well.

The only problem is, you look a bit silly, larpy, Scotiish widows-like in them.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I don't mind having a tinker, but £20 for a cut up army blanket - sheesh!
Got mine for £4.....
IMG_3735.jpg

ATB

Ogri the trog

Reactions: Toddy

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Somewhere in my kit cupboard I've got a US Navy cloak/poncho in size extra large. Quite a heavy material, decidedly waterproof, and very comforatble, but the thing I noticed was how warm it was. It trapped so much air around me that it was warmer than any coat I've ever had. Nearly ankle length, too. Hood a bit big, and doesn't stay up in a breeze. Must get that adjusted....

I once wore it up on a local hillside, and sat reading a book. One of those summer showers came over, so I wrapped up in it, pulled the hood down over my eyes, and waited it out. An hour or so later, still perfectly dry, I was woken up by the dog of the local farmer who had spotted me and come to see if I was ok! Embarassing, but impressive that I could be comfortable enough to fall asleep in it in the rain.

Its a bit too heavy for most uses nowadays, and doesn't pack particularly small either. I did get some velcro tabs mounted on the front edges so I could seal it up in bad weather. Then it becomes a big dark blue cone with a hood on top. Not stylish at all, but it works.

Must get it out and see about getting some more use out of it...

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Well, I got my cape out, and all i can say is, it is interesting how the memory plays tricks. The thing turns out to be no more than mid calf length, lightweight, packs small, and not as waterproof as I remember! Then again, I haven't worn the thing in over 10 years, and I now remember that I had sprayed it with a proofing spray, which has clearly worn off. I wore it the other night in a heavy downpour whilst walking the dog. Great kit test.

Brilliant item though. I've put SWMBO on to making a few adjustments to it (I can sew, but she is much better, faster, and neater than me), mainly involving removing the hood, which is inadequate because it doesn't give any protection to the face. I usually wear a Tilley hat anyway. The material can be used to put pockets in it, and adding a few hook and eye loops will give it a better seal when closed. Folded, it will fit in a pouch on my hip, and will make a brilliant summer shower protecter and improvised bivi/basha/windbreak. This is going to become a standard bit of summer kit for me.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
My mum made me a cloak a few years ago, not sure if it still fits but I remember wearing it at festivals - never thought to wear it outdoors! It could probably do with some waterproofing though.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I was only thinking the other day that I should try a wool cloak as an alternative to a blanket

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
OK, I was rereading this older thread the other day;-

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41138&highlight=elves

And one of the things that it seemed to underline and speculate upon was that to travel light a cloak or poncho of some fashion would be a step in the right direction.

So , does anyone use a cloak or poncho on a regular basis for its material merits and not its artistic ones? ie its carried for its actual physical benefit and not a 'look'?

I would like to see photos or hear more from 'unconvential' equipment users and how those items merit inclusion within their kit.

I can understand how Army poncho's are a useful bit of kit for wearing , setting up as a tarp , using to gather material i just wonder how many other uses wool cloaks or ponchos can be utilized for ?

Has anyone sussed out how to access an old thread link on this new forum ?
Pretty please ?

M

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I did a thread about making this a while back but here's my Birrus based on the pattern kindly supplied by Mary, any deviation from that was my own fault!

LVwdf5D.jpg

umHbcOS.jpg

its been treated with lanolin a couple more times since it was made so is slightly darker in colour now. the linings flax linen and the outer is heavy shirt weight pure wool we got cheap from the small mill that's next to the National Wool Museum of Wales. Since it seams i'm a masochist it was completely hand sewn with heavy linen thread.

EBDpvUh.jpg

since it was a bit bulky to carry I made a strap to go with, the brass buckles were made from a carboot thick ashtray.

EnQePp5.jpg

Mainly used it for sitting around a fire with the bottom three toggles undone and the tails at the front thrown over the shoulders or for having a nap under with the bottom of the front opening pinned shut with a sharpened twig ( since the bone pin kept getting lost. )

ATB

Tom

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Made a tunic and lukha from a merino blanket of late

I have a thick wool blanket, will measure for a cloak

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
I love it when treads are resurrected. I’m never sure if I should add, or leave it be.
The wool Latin American poncho
Is favored by Cody Lundin. I have one. There are warmer options, but for a quickly donned, additional sleep kit layer they are fantastico!
That’s Mexican for fantastic. The end tassels serve as wicks in wet weather and break the sound of one flapping about much like the wingtip feathers on predator birds.
Not that they do, heavy wool drapes so nicely.
Naval boat coats are available via some reenactor sources and a lady on Etsy USA makes a USN version as worn by FDR sitting next to Churchill and Putin’s mentor at Yalta.
My poncho is treasured for its ‘grab it and go’ versatility 364 days of the year. Cinco de Mayo is a unofficial holiday in California. But
To many fool Gringos dress up like Pancho Via, get drunk on cervecas
Or tequila and offend our Latin companeros. So I don’t. But every other day it brings a smile to a recent immigrante when coupled with Spanglish.

JB101

Feb 18, 2020
Watford
In a similar vein is the zeltbahn & could be used as a pattern for a wool or similar version .
I recall that the storage pouch some came in could be used as a hood if needed.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE