Folding bucksaw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
hi all

I'm in the market for a wooden folding bucksaw. These seem to be non-existent here in Belgium. I've made a few myself with sticks but I want one for more permanent use (the now discontinued Woodlore
bucksaw is kind of what I'm looking for). Any suggestions are well appreciated.

Thanks
Ruud

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Believe the guy that made the Woodlore bucksaws passed last year.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Ruud, you're a woodworker: make one yourself! :rolleyes:

I've never made a bucksaw, on account of me not being American, but I've made a frame or bowsaw on occasion. Not of the folding variety, but they do collapse into a bundle of bits. I've got one in stock at the moment, but it's a biggy at something like 450 or 550mm blade :D

Reactions: EffyGent

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
if you have the tools, have a go at making one yourself. There are plenty of tutorials about (inc on here somewhere i believe). Buy the saw blade you want to use and go from there. Beech wood or oak are best as they are very hard wearing, and you have the bonus of personalising it to your tastes, hand size etc.

Woodcutter2

Forager
Jul 31, 2011
Conyer, Kent
www.tpknives.com
Hi Ruud
I made a few of these in Ash wood, it has natural flex in its grain and is immensely strong and not so prone to cracking under high tension as Oak can be.

IMG-0161.jpg

It is also lighter in weight in your pack

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I have the Dustrude one, Ruud. It is about 78CAD at the moment. But they must be cheaper than that somewhere. I wouldn't have paid that or anything like it. Anyway, it is very good. Light and able. I have heard of others being mentioned as superior but I can't recall their names now. I'll post if I do :)

I put a Bahco blade in it. Better. And I have used that with just a bent branch as a handle in the past

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE