Folding knife suggestions ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Thank you for all the helpful suggestions. The one that appeals the most is the TBS Boar,
tbs-boar-folding-pocket-knife-curly-birch-perfect-every-day-carry-knife-mk-ii-mod-29736-p.jpg

I think I'll give it a go.
You'll not be disappointed. I generally carry one for most of my outdoorsy needs as it's a great little knife and not very "offensive" looking. And 90% of the time I'm out mooching or on overnighters I don't need a fixed blade. Their belt pouches are a good carry option too (with a bit of wet forming you get a nice tight fit). I've one with a firesteel loop that I've set up for neck carry.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Interesting but I'd prefer a single bladed boar with a convex or flat grind. I keep considering reprofiling one of mine.

No plans for a convex at present ... we'll wait it out :)

What is a convex scandi grind? It's been suggested that it can be reground with some skill. Does that just mean turning the edge round to remove a microbevel or does it mean knocking the shoulders off the main bevel?

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
No plans for a convex at present ... we'll wait it out :)

What is a convex scandi grind? It's been suggested that it can be reground with some skill. Does that just mean turning the edge round to remove a microbevel or does it mean knocking the shoulders off the main bevel?

Duncan (FGYT) puts what he calls a Flandi grind on his knives, kind of a cross between flat and scandi. It’s effective.

Reactions: Billy-o

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Guessing a high sabre grind with a convexed edge, perhaps? I'll have to have a hunt about for some pics of that ... Duncan is Dorset Woodland Blades?

Grinds can be so complex. I remember feeling generally put upon by the variousness of the world when I saw that my Fallkie F1 is flat ground at the spine, concave in the middle and convex at the edge

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Isn't scandivex just a really high sort of convex?
Never actually seen such a grind in the flesh though

I miss the convex edge on my falky F1. Just the edge mind, I wasn't keen on the blade shape or handle

Yes Duncan is Dorset woodland blades. I assume he's still making knives. Not seen him on here for a while and his website didn't seem to be as good last time I went on there

Reactions: Nice65 and Billy-o

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada

Is that like a spine to edge single convex arc? Like BRKT does on some pieces. Or more like a convex taken out of the billet flats to the edge, but from above the mid line of the blade? (Which, I suspect, BRKT also does :))

I feel this would be easier with paper and pencil :lol:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Firm believer in the convex grind, it’s my favourite both in use and to sharpen.

I sent a couple of Bark Rivers back to BRKT for spa treatment and both came back with a microbevel on them. I was pretty annoyed about that, no idea who couldn’t be bothered to take them to zero. BRKT do a superb convex grind, apart from a few of their knives with different grinds, the convex is their ‘thing’.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
... came back with a microbevel on them.

Oof! Goat got!

I loaned out a 5lb Plumb once that I'd spent an age getting its convex just so. Beaming oaf lumered back saying he'd put a proper edge on it with a grinder. There should be a way of revoking people's shed licenses

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Oof! Goat got!

I loaned a halfwit a 5lb Plumb once that I'd spent an age getting just so. Beaming oaf lumered back saying he'd put a proper edge on it with a grinder.

One of them was a Canadian Special. I’d chosen the Desert Ironwood and mosaic pins myself. It was one of only two in that run Canadians. Patience, mousemat, paste, more patience.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Pic? :)

That moose thing from TBS .. the outline of the convex blade very much reminds me of the EKA Nordic T8 and Swede 7 ... both of which are pretty great .. thought the T8 is gone now

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Never actually seen such a grind in the flesh though

I miss the convex edge on my falky F1. Just the edge mind, I wasn't keen on the blade shape or handle

Yes Duncan is Dorset woodland blades. I assume he's still making knives. Not seen him on here for a while and his website didn't seem to be as good last time I went on there

Scandivex is a relatively new term that someone has come out with but if using better decriptions of convex edges, a scandivex is a half height convex - think scandi grind but the angled bevels are rounded convex. A better choice in my opinion is a full height convex - from spine to edge as a continual curve. You can also go for a full flat grind with a convex secondary bevel.

With any harsh junction (full flat to secondary bevel or scandi grind) the depth of cutting / ease of cutting can be improved by knocking that corner transition off. (This is from testing we did on OMF forum some years back, not just guess work)

Converting a scandi TBS boar to a convex would be a relatively simple task.

Reactions: Nice65

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Scandivex is a relatively new term that someone has come out with but if using better decriptions of convex edges, a scandivex is a half height convex - think scandi grind but the angled bevels are rounded convex. A better choice in my opinion is a full height convex - from spine to edge as a continual curve. You can also go for a full flat grind with a convex secondary bevel.

With any harsh junction (full flat to secondary bevel or scandi grind) the depth of cutting / ease of cutting can be improved by knocking that corner transition off. (This is from testing we did on OMF forum some years back, not just guess work)

Converting a scandi TBS boar to a convex would be a relatively simple task.

Cheers stew that's a way better description. I know exactly what it is now.

And yep I've knocked the "shoulders" off of a couple of knives to improve cutting

Reactions: Stew

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
The Wildcat just appeared in my email inbox, and it’s a tidy little knife in its prototype form. Be nice if it stays one blade full convex and one scandi grind. The question will be, is the closed blade going to interfere in use?

2-F965499-DE0-E-45-A4-954-B-271-F8-B538-B0-F.jpg

0-DC18-ABB-74-EF-4-DCA-B807-927504-AC9422.jpg

Interesting that.

Seems such a shame but looks to me like the second blade will definitely negate the benefit of those good curves. Might still be comfy as plenty of multi blade ones are fine.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I don't know much about Michael May's work, though I have seen his name a couple fo times over the past few years.

https://michaelmayknives.com/shop.html

The knives are good-looking old classics made to order (perhaps?) and seemingly in C75 steel, which'll be eminently sharpenable with the right medium-ish hardness. Otter use it, and a number of other European regional makers (Issard, and I suspect Eye did and Opinel maybe too). It handles very well. Intended for maintenance by kitchen steel, it will come back to life after stropping on your jeans, literally. I have long, long wanted a properly tapering lambsfoot, and missed out on the one GEC recently made. Maybe this, then :)

Anyone know more?

Reactions: Snufkin and Nice65

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I have been putting off getting Tina pruner for years ... that might one have permanently put pay the itch

(Thinking about that BRKT Canadian, Rich, I went over to Grohmann and looked yet again at their Boat Knife ... serious option that:))

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
As a result of all the current knife furore I decided to only take a legal carry knife with me. Twice, and it's my own fault, I've narrowly avoided slashing the back of my fingers as a result of the blade closing on me whilst in use, so what are my options, extended tang ? I'm open to all suggestions. Usually I get there by process of elimination, but I have the feeling in this case it could end up being quite expensive.

Thanks in anticipation. :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_yum:

when I used the svord peasant I had issues with it someties being slack usually if it had dried out in my pocket after being wet. It really bugged me, that cheapo flimsy handle, and I couldnt be pestered to keep adjusting the brass screws. So I just kept a length of inner tube in my pocket and wrap it around the handle to prevent it closing in on my fingers when the knife was open for use. Then removed it afterwards. I don't know if that knife is still legal here, but I made it into a very useful and powerful trimming and carving knife by setting the blade into a longer stronger handle. I've never understood why svord paired such a superb blade with such a crappy handle...:rolleyes:

Reactions: Billy-o

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Wouldn't mind seeing how you did that conversion to a fixie, Mr Dazzler :)

Mind, I was just looking long and hard at their Thweitel carver ... though there is little chance of me not buying it pretty soon. Put a cedar handle on it maybe :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE