Bow draw strength adjustment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Today in my local gun shop I've seen a nice recurve bow with detachable limbs. The draw is 30 lbs. That's a tad too much for me. I'm sure I read somewhere that you can adjust the draw strength on this sort of bow. I can't find where I saw it or remember any details of how to do it. Am I right about this or am I imagining things. I only need to go down 5lbs to 25lbs. Is it worth me buying it?
The whole caboodle is only £165. I think it's a bargain but no use to me if I can't shoot it cos I'm wobbling about. Advice please. Thanks.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I’m assuming they are carbon or at least glass limbs.

I make a lot of bows but it’s not something I’d take on.

£165 for a second hand recurve is quite a lot so I would expect it to be a decent make. You could probably purchase lighte4 limbs for the riser if you think it’s worth the expense.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
There are some recurves that you can adjust the weight by a few lbs, but they will have that info written on the limbs. Generally speaking the only way to do it is to swap the limbs for a new set (or 2nd hand set). If there is a lot of stuff with the bow (arrows, sight, case, etc) then t might be worth buying it and getting a spare set of limbs whilst you build up the muscles. 30lb isn't much in a recurve, so you might well find that it will only be a few months before you've done that or that your technique has improved to accommodate.

Reactions: Woody girl

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Have a look online, I just had a look at Aardvark and they do sell the limbs separately so you could replace them to reduce the pull required, but then they do a starter kit for under £200 too.

Sent using Tapatalk

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Yes everything comes with it but only two arrows. I can get more easily enough.
I have found my muscle strength is decreasing due to various problems with my health. I have a 30lb recurve with fixed limbs and I'm struggling a bit with it now as I don't shoot regularly any more so can't keep my muscles in trim :( . Also it's a pain to take anywhere as I don't have a car so I thought a take down might be a better option. I am downsizing things in many ways.. smaller motorcycle (down to a 750cc) for instance. ...... I blame old age :) :)

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Check if they are bolt on or ILF limbs before you buy anything. You can’t adjust the poundage of a recurve apart from changing the limbs. When the limbs say for example “68”-30lbs” it is referring to the size of the riser you are pairing with them.
If you buy new medium limbs at 22lbs that will fit your riser you should be ok. Will need a string to match too.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Thanks will give that one a miss then. I'll pop over to quicks in Honiton and buy a decent new one. I can try it out on the range to make sure I can shoot it properly too. It's going to be a bit cheaper there anyway as I usualy have a good haggle and get bits thrown in. I got a free spare string and stringer and arm guard and plastic belt quiver when I got my black bear. Handy being female and able to flirt shamelessly sometimes... either that or they wanted to get rid of me ASAP :) :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Be sure to save a good portion of your budget for arrows. Providing the bow is stable and you are able to comfortably draw it then good arrows will make up for a large proportion of your accuracy.

Reactions: santaman2000

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I have lots of arrows including some handmade ones I hope to bring to the moot to sell. They are made by a longbow expert about 20 yrs ago but I've forgotten who it was. Barely been used as they were used to scene set when I did Celtic living history. They were made to shoot seriously though. Been in store for years but they've cleaned up nicely. Properly fletched with real feathers.

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Arrows need to match the bow to be accurate though. Using various different lengths and spines with one bow will throw them all over the place lol. Quicks will put you right though ;-)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Yeah. That's why I want to sell the handmade ones. They don't match my bow at all. But they may be ok for someone else. It's a crime to just throw them out.
I always buy six new arrows to start off with when I get a new bow. The black bear is my third bow. Cheap and cheerful. Good reviews and fine for someone who shoots infrequently.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE