Sleep mat for a painful back

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
I bought myself an Exped Synmat 9 L/W (wide/long). The internal pump is a bit feeble for the amount of air it needs

My DownMat 7M takes 78 pumps from 'rolled up' to max inflation.

You are supposed to wait a couple of minutes from un-rolling to allow the foam in the pump to expand - I didn't so maybe it could be a few pumps less.

norfolknun

Mar 10, 2013
Norfolk
Ok , I know a lot of people like myself have back problems. I have taken to hammocks to solve this and keep camping.
I am planning to do a wild coastal camp but there will be no trees to hang from which means a tent or tarp tent is the option. Normaly I use a double air bed for floor dwelling. But that was when I had a car and help to carry all the kit. This time it is to be a very lightweight camp set up as I will be using local buses and a 5km trundle to the area I want to be in. Airbeds are heavy and bulky and I need another option. I have several mats and experiments on the floor at home have shown I need at least three of them to be moderately comfortable. I don't want to lug 3 mats around and to be honest it makes the bag too heavy and bulky which defeats the whole object.
Can anyone fellow sufferers recommend a suitable mat that is not wildly expensive?. I need padding rather than insulation

For many years with a bad back I used the thickest mat sold by Airac, nicknamed ''Fat Airac''. It was fine
Unfortunately , early in May, I fell through a roof and fractured my neck and spine.
I have tried the Fat Airac for a couple of long afternoons on the dining room floor and it is almost, almost, as comfortable as my bed.
I think it inflates to just about 3 inches.

My only concern is that after a days walking the back will be in a painful condition anyway.

I really wish you well.....the accident I hope will not be a life changer for me (even at 69)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Oh my gosh that sounds horrific! I hope you are on the mend now. Take it slow and don't rush to do things. Bodies are slower to heal the older you get. Be kind to yourself.
Hope that you mend successfully and quickly non the less.
I have got used to being in constant pain but it doesn't make life easy. I'm stubborn and often have to be told that I don't look good and to slow down or stop. I take the advise because if others are noticing then I'm close to burn out.. left to myself I overdo things and end up laid up for days while the sun is shiny and I get very very frustrated :) make sure to let others help even if you feel you don't need it as it saves energy for further down the line.
My last trip was a day longer than planned as I overdid things and had to rest up for a day to be able to get home!
Anyway good luck and keep on bushcrafting... gently!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
For many years with a bad back I used the thickest mat sold by Airac, nicknamed ''Fat Airac''. It was fine
Unfortunately , early in May, I fell through a roof and fractured my neck and spine.
I have tried the Fat Airac for a couple of long afternoons on the dining room floor and it is almost, almost, as comfortable as my bed.
I think it inflates to just about 3 inches.

My only concern is that after a days walking the back will be in a painful condition anyway.

I really wish you well.....the accident I hope will not be a life changer for me (even at 69)

Possibly you mean the Fat Airic by Alpkit? Alpkit don’t sell that model anymore, but the Dozer is similar.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Possibly you mean the Fat Airic by Alpkit? Alpkit don’t sell that model anymore, but the Dozer is similar.
Unfortunately sold out at the moment. I went to order one after reading your post.:emoji_disappointed:

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
This is sideways and will probably come across as useless and irritiating, especially if you have suffered for years with a back and have heard it all before. I know how you feel.

I go through periods during the year when I have to sit all day and, time was, I invariably got a bad back during those weeks/months; one consequence being a rotten kip generally and aching on a sleeping mat. This is on top of the generally battered and torn condition of my corpse. One can't deny that a good, light inflatable mat helps. I like the Thermarest Neo Air, even if it is a bit noisy.

But, over time I have found that targeted exercise works ... For me, 30 mins on the elliptical machine in the gym, dead lifts, a variety of air squats and weighted squats (single and double leg), pliés, glute bridges and other related exercises that tighten your bum and core seem to nail the problem, along with stretches for hip flexors, calves. And, should you ever get a chance to have someone practice myofascial release massage on you, do be sure and take the opportunity :)

Fact is that hiking with a bag on uneven terrain is unusual exercise, even if it doesn't appear arduous at the time, and our bodies (tuned to bowling along on even pavement) can expect to hurt afterwards. I guess my point is that one needs to train a bit as we approach our golden decrepitude. (Personally, I get quite anxious around November that I haven't done anything to toughen up my legs. Skiing and snowshoeing - there's nothing else to do here - can be fierce on you, leading not just to crashes but torn or sprained ligaments just through the exercise itself, and it isn't as if these are pursuits that provide in themselves sufficient exercise to strengthen in the areas you need it. Backpacking is the same)

The exercises I mention all work to straighten out my gait too .. which gives my knees and ankles less of a pummelling and leaves them less sore. Misalignments from the leg joints have an effect on your back, and anything you can do to regularize your gait will help.

Seriously, look at Pacerpole: not just for their hiking poles but also information on walking mechanics, the back and shoulder girdle and techniques of walking and posture to minimize irregularity. Contact them. Heather Rhodes is kind and helpful people.

You might also look at packs which arrange the weight around your hips ... Kifaru used to make something called the TailGunner, and do a Hellcat now. They are not that cheap, but you'll get the idea by looking at them ... also packing so that the weightier stuff is low in the bag helps so that your back muscles (esp the Erector Spinae etc) aren't continually struggling to balance the weight higher up; which tires the body, making it take the burden inefficiently elsewhere and which leads to pain. It really is worth doing a little research to find out which muscles attach to where and the kind and location of pain they produce if they are not doing their job. It helps, if nothing else, by getting you to think about gait, posture and mechanics.

Of course, yoga does help. Work your way into it. Find a beginners class if you haven't done it before, and don't get put off if your first, second or even third instructor is a bit of an idiot. Persevere and find another. There are plenty of good ones out there. You don't have to go bounding around twanging your underluggage to get the benefits and it will help you with your horizontal life.

As I said, none of this is of much use if your bad back is coming from mechanical degeneration in bones, tendons, discs etc. and can be pretty irritating to hear about .. .again :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Unfortunately sold out at the moment. I went to order one after reading your post.:emoji_disappointed:

That's the one.

Yes I am eyeing up The Dozer

On pre-order at £53 Deeks.:)

I’ve no idea on longevity of the Alpkit mats in use and can’t comment personally if the worst happens, a leak. I’ve had one, I think it was called a Wide Boy, but it was quite a few years ago and I did a direct comparison with a Multimat in similar spec. Obviously the worst that can happen is doing exactly what I did. I mounted the Alpkit on top of my rucksack and went out to a usual quiet spot, scrabbling up chalk and getting caught up on bramble and thorny stuff to get to my clearing and camp. I now know to pack one of the most essential pieces of kit centrally in my bag surrounded by everything else, it was a very uncomfortable night on a flat mat where I couldn’t find the leak to fix it with the (essential) rubber cement.

Of the two, at the time, the Multimat had a denser foam and offered an ‘ok’ sleep when deflated. Tested by my scientific elbow leaning, the Alpkit was a pancake, the MM much more cushioned. This was years ago, maybe 2008 or before, and Alpkit were just getting known for their excellent work ethic and response to customer feedback. I’m absolutely sure the foam density was addressed, and should a 7.5cm mat deflate, you’ll still be reasonably comfortable for a night.

Alpkit are that good that when my old Gamma headtorch busts yet another battery pack plastic lug, they still replace the battery cover. And for what it’s worth, the old Wide Boy served as excellent hammock insulation for years after I got fed up with patching it and is still in service now.

Multimat are that good that when I phoned the main office and asked about possible punctures if my Jack Russell scrabbled all over it, the guy said his two Jack Russells hadn’t burst his. :D

Grief, I’m almost talking myself into one. :lmao:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If you experience increased back problems after waking up outside, take one Arcoxia 90 and a muscle relaxant type Valium 1mg the night before.
( fantastic painkiller, Arcoxia, and a really good muscle relaxer, Valium.)
Of course, a GP needs to prescribe.
I do that, and take those also before flying.

In my case, cold makes it worse, so I make sure my lower back and knee are warm.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I get where you’re coming from 100%, that combination would be highly effective. You’re way off topic again, recommending drugs when the Woody Girl has asked for sleep mat recommendations.

Arcoxia is Etoricoxib here and only prescribed when Ibuprofen is ineffective, or Naproxen proves too aggressive on the stomach. It’s considered a powerful anti-inflammatory and I was chastised for taking it after hip surgery due to it being so highly effective. I was advised that under the circumstances (scarily massive swelling and bruising), some inflammation was a good thing to cushion the damaged area. I’d been prescribed it pre-surgery and assumed it was ok to take it post. It’s highly unlikely a GP would prescribe it for someone wanting to go camping, and the OP makes no mention other than advice on sleep mats and isn’t asking for pharmaceutical solutions.

Valium is highly controlled, like all benzodiazepines are in the UK. Both these drugs would very likely be refused under the circumstances, especially Valium. It’s honestly easier to get Codeine or even Oramorph for exceptionally bad pain in this country and even that involves multiple visits to a GP after a trial period where the pain still isn’t being effectively treated. It’s crazy really, and I think for general back pain, Billy-o makes a good point with his post. I’ve been partly carrying a painful leg for a few years and it’s thrown a few things out of whack, I have neck, back and shoulder pain. My understanding, having seen a physio several times, is that the situation is improved by awareness of posture, reflexing lazy muscle groups, and building supporting muscle, tendon strength and stamina through prescribed exercise.

Drugs are for acute, crippling, or long term pain. A comfortable sleep mat is for a comfortable sleep away from home, and that was the OP request for information.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I get where you’re coming from 100%, that combination would be highly effective. You’re way off topic again, recommending drugs when the Woody Girl has asked for sleep mat recommendations.

Arcoxia is Etoricoxib here and only prescribed when Ibuprofen is ineffective, or Naproxen proves too aggressive on the stomach. It’s considered a powerful anti-inflammatory and I was chastised for taking it after hip surgery due to it being so highly effective. I was advised that under the circumstances (scarily massive swelling and bruising), some inflammation was a good thing to cushion the damaged area. I’d been prescribed it pre-surgery and assumed it was ok to take it post. It’s highly unlikely a GP would prescribe it for someone wanting to go camping, and the OP makes no mention other than advice on sleep mats and isn’t asking for pharmaceutical solutions.

Valium is highly controlled, like all benzodiazepines are in the UK. Both these drugs would very likely be refused under the circumstances, especially Valium. It’s honestly easier to get Codeine or even Oramorph for exceptionally bad pain in this country and even that involves multiple visits to a GP after a trial period where the pain still isn’t being effectively treated. It’s crazy really, and I think for general back pain, Billy-o makes a good point with his post. I’ve been partly carrying a painful leg for a few years and it’s thrown a few things out of whack, I have neck, back and shoulder pain. My understanding, having seen a physio several times, is that the situation is improved by awareness of posture, reflexing lazy muscle groups, and building supporting muscle, tendon strength and stamina through prescribed exercise.

Drugs are for acute, crippling, or long term pain. A comfortable sleep mat is for a comfortable sleep away from home, and that was the OP request for information.
I had to look arcoxia up. Apparently it’s not approved for use here at all.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I think I know a bit more than you do about ( legal) pharmacology after almost 4 decades in the medical area.

Sometimes premedication helps tremendously if you are going to do, for your body, unusual activity, Woody Girl. A mild dose of pain meds, a mild dose of muscle relaxant can make a huge difference not only during the night, but also for your wellbeing the next day.

It does for me, be it sitting in a aircraft seats for two days, or sleeping in nature.
I recommend you visit your GP, as I recommended earlier, and have a chat with him/her.

Arcoxia is not yet approved in the US, it will be soon. Different ways to approve pharmacologicals between Europe and the US.
Same with treatments.
In an ideal world we would cooperate in research, testing and approval worldwide, it would be safer, and cheaper for the patient!

Valium is one of the controlled drugs yes.

Woody Girl asks about a sleeping mat that is very light, but can work for her back problems.
Maybe you know the answer? Enlighten us!

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You did say that you were prescribed it pre surgery. Apparently Janne’s recommending th same thing (pre pain causing event) and only after consulting a Dr for a ”possible” prescription. Also if I read The OP correctly this is becoming a chronic issue (long term as you put it)

A Dr might say no. Then again, he might approve it. Either way the OP is no worse for trying.
......I was chastised for taking it after hip surgery due to it being so highly effective. I was advised that under the circumstances (scarily massive swelling and bruising), some inflammation was a good thing to cushion the damaged area. I’d been prescribed it pre-surgery and assumed it was ok to take it post.......
......Drugs are for acute, crippling, or long term pain.....

......Sometimes premedication helps tremendously if you are going to do, for your body, unusual activity, Woody Girl. A mild dose of pain meds, a mild dose of muscle relaxant can make a huge difference not only during the night, but also for your wellbeing the next day.......
I recommend you visit your GP, as I recommended earlier, and have a chat with him/her........

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I get that, and no disrespect to the guy, but a dentist is prescribing quite a powerful drug combination to a person whose condition he hasn’t examined, or is qualified to do so.

Fact is, the OP wants sleeping mat recommendations, as is common on a bushcraft forum, not medical advice, however well intended.

Reactions: Kepis

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I am not prescribing, I am suggesting a combination of drugs commonly used in premedication of back problems.

And yes, as I have a medical degree, I can prescribe those.
Can and in fact, do every week.

To go back to the sleeping system, I have used a blow up Coleman plastic matress, one of those cheapo camping things. Works very well, very comfortable, but is heavy, so only used it indoors on the floor or in the garden.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I get that, and no disrespect to the guy, but a dentist is prescribing quite a powerful drug combination to a person whose condition he hasn’t examined, or is qualified to do so.

Fact is, the OP wants sleeping mat recommendations, as is common on a bushcraft forum, not medical advice, however well intended.
I took it he was suggesting the OP ask her Dr about it.
I am not prescribing, I am suggesting a combination of drugs commonly used in premedication of back problems.

And yes, as I have a medical degree, I can prescribe those.
Can and in fact, do every week......
No offense but there’a world of difference between a dental degree and a medical degree. Yes, I know you can prescribe pain killers and rightfully so. That said, a dental degree doesn’t qualify you to diagnose back problems as such. I defer to your advise she consult her doctor though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE