Cordage for tarps?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi Everyone!

I have always used Type III 550 paracord for the ridge-line and guy-lines for my tarps.

I now use silnylon tarps. So most of the packable weight is the cordage. I am thinking of switching to 95 paracord (with reflective tracers) to reduce my pack weight.

My question: Is the 100 lb. tensile strength of the 95 paracord sufficient to withstand reasonably strong winds? I camp in northern California. Winds can vary between (~12 - 25 kph) in my home region. In the Sierra, winds can be a bit stronger when the weather turns foul. I would like to be able to handle around 35 kph gusts.

Thanks for your thoughts.

- Woodsorrel

Thanks, MrEd!

Last week I found dyneema cord (specifically aimed at tarps and tents). It was very expensive. But after reading your reply I searched again and found boating supply stores near me that carry it at more reasonable rates. So, I'll check it out. Thanks!

- Woodsorrel

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
I use 3mm dyneema and have no issue in the UK

I agree with the above.
You can find different colours on Fleebay at a "reasonable price" although more expensive than paracord...

The price outweighs the benefits as its much lighter more compact and waterproof..

Reactions: woodsorrel

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Having just got a 4x 4 tarp (dd) I need to get some ridgeline cordage for it. I have a 10 metre hank of parracord which I intend to use which I got from mountain ware house. I know it's not the best but it will have to do for this season. My question is.. is this long enough? I have a 3x3 and I have no idea how long the ridge line is on that but it has always seemed to be enough. This may seem a silly question , but I don't wish to get caught out when I use it with my hammock. So far I have only used the 4x4 as a plowpoint shelter so didn't need a ridge line .

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Having just got a 4x 4 tarp (dd) I need to get some ridgeline cordage for it. I have a 10 metre hank of parracord which I intend to use which I got from mountain ware house. I know it's not the best but it will have to do for this season. My question is.. is this long enough? I have a 3x3 and I have no idea how long the ridge line is on that but it has always seemed to be enough. This may seem a silly question , but I don't wish to get caught out when I use it with my hammock. So far I have only used the 4x4 as a plowpoint shelter so didn't need a ridge line .

10m should be more than enough.

4m for your tarp, that leaves 3m for each end to secure to whatever you’re attaching it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Thanks guys. I hoped it would be enough, but I'm the sort of person who, if something is gonna go pear shaped, it will! Despite all the double checking and prepping :( my trip the other week being a prime example.. sort out a sheltered site, back to a chest heigh wall.... go to sleep all fine.... wake up with a hoolie blowing and my tarp halfway down the field!! :) )

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
For ridgeline I use dyneema I got it in pink so I won't lose it when I drop it on the floor. [and my boys won't nick it as it's pink and not cool!]
[https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-55...hash=item465f4797bc:m:mu3MxDND2mqDP7TxWVeAQdA]

For guylines I use Marlow throwline
[https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marlow-E...701079?hash=item521b8f66d7:g:9DQAAOSwESdcwds5]

I use a continuous ridgeline [with the tarp slung underneath] I think it's about 10m which is plenty, could possible do with less, but you know...
Also you don't want your trees too far apart as that means you need long suspension for your hammock.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I have used a hennessy Explorer de lux for most of my hammocking life so everything was one package. As it was a gift from someone who had used it all I had to do was tie it to a couple of trees and I was set. Now I have the dd set up separate tarp hammock and under quilt. So I'm still learning to set it up properly . Hence not being sure how much length of ridgeline I needed.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I have used a hennessy Explorer de lux for most of my hammocking life so everything was one package. As it was a gift from someone who had used it all I had to do was tie it to a couple of trees and I was set. Now I have the dd set up separate tarp hammock and under quilt. So I'm still learning to set it up properly . Hence not being sure how much length of ridgeline I needed.

get double what you think you need, as you can always find uses for it.
I carry 2 ridgelines as sometimes i pitch my tarp with 2 ridglines, and i know i always have spare for lashing or whatever

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
get double what you think you need, as you can always find uses for it.
I carry 2 ridgelines as sometimes i pitch my tarp with 2 ridglines, and i know i always have spare for lashing or whatever

I have two 10 metre lengths of parracord which I got from mountain warehouse ( buy one get one free. )Good advice to have extra as I'm not too sure of its quality.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I have two 10 metre lengths of parracord which I got from mountain warehouse ( buy one get one free. )Good advice to have extra as I'm not too sure of its quality.

I suspect it will be fine, just keep the extra length in on ‘length’ and it will be fine, shove it in your pack and it’s always there.

Spare bootlaces, lashing, cordage, shelter building, splinting etc and extending your ridgeline if you need :)

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Seems the darn thing is usually 15cm short of what you need.
Carry a 10m piece and a 10m spare?

These skyhooks are another handy option for that

i.php

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I knew there was a reason I have always been using a tent...
:)

Ah, but there's nothing like waking up to the full vista from your sleeping bag/hammock with frost on your hair on a nice clear spring morning :)

I don't get too fussed about what 'cord' I'm using as long as it's strong enough. I don't do 'stealth' camping these days so tend to use something as bright as possible for the guys 'cos I'm fed up of tripping over them in the dark.

Remember woodsorrel that the ridge line can be under quite a load depending how you pitch your tarp - all a function of the angle to the horizontal and all that.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Have you 'tarp Aficionados" thought about using a braid fishing line?

Take three lengths of - say - 150lb strength- and braid it. Thin, light, strong. 450 lb.
And the braiding will give it bit of stretchiness.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE