Mors style Bushtool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
My mother gave me my 50th Birthday present early so rather than blow it on lots of small things I got a couple of Knife blanks from Bernie Graland and a square foot of 4mm veg tan. The blades arrived yesterday AM and I fettled them and today I cut some scales from a piece of seasoned Yew. I'd just enough 6mm brass tube and rod for the pins and enough 15 min epoxy to get them assembled.

Anyroad I finished the Woodsman B&T, which is near enough to a Korchanski inspired Bushtool as I could get with the money available. Not perfect but fine for a user. Its had a couple of hours in the linseed oil and I put it back in to do 24hrs.

ZiyFKpu.jpg

5kIMHqi.jpg

I'll do the sheath when the other blade is finished. That's a Robin Woodcarver full tang.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers folks.

Got the Woodcarvers handle shaped and it has had a couple of hours in the oil bath, its back in now.

JAcOMLt.jpg

gZmgf44.jpg

The handles quite chunky and fits my hand lovely. you can't see it in the pic but it bulges out a lot in the centre and tapers down quite a lot towards the butt.

Will do the sheaths when the linseeds cured or whatever it does.

ATB

Tom

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
It is a nice knife for sure but it is not Mors style because it is fulltang
Hence not a true Scandi style knife, but well adopted for the new fashion of battoning wood.

Evolution of Scandi / Mors ?
:)

As you know for sure, Mr Kochanski based his design on the utilitarian Mora knife design of old

Last edited:

z_bumbi

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2016
Linköping, Sweden
There is knives from Scandinavia with full tang with the same bladeform so I doesen't realy gets why that small detail mathers?

And batoning wood with a knife isn't something that haven't been done before...

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Definite overtones of skookum about it.
If Garcia had have given mors one like this I'm sure he'd have been happy.
The man is less fussy about his knives than most of us are. Can't see him quibbling over a description either

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Traditionally they were stick tang. Steel was expensive.
And a full tang is more difficult to be made by a blacksmith.

Of course, I am talking tradition of a century ago. But kept by most blade makers in scandinavia to present times. Morakniv, and the other makers of trad Mora style knives still do versions of stick tangs

The batoning became more of a standard practice in late 60’s or so?

When I was a member in the Scout movement in late 60’s we were taught not to baton but to use a wedge and axe.
Stick tang knives with a wooden handle ( think Mora Classic) do not like to be batoned.

But you are right, such a detail does not matter, specially one that might improve the function of the knife!

No doubt that is why Kochinsky change the classic stick tang design to a full tang.

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Oh Bernies definitely still trading, made and got to me the two blade blanks in about 5 days from herself ordering.

I've been a bit busy so only started making the sheaths today..

eZN88Zb.jpg

The metal work is well oiled and wrapped in cling film. When the leathers dry ( 4mm veg tan ) I'll unclamp them,.glue and trim the edges with the 3mm spacer that's between them ( Small modelers planes normally used on balsa do a great job reducing the thickness of leather) and stitch them up with waxed 1mm linen thread. If there's plenty of space I may use some copper rivets and washers as well. I've quite a large double boiler loaded with beeswax so I'll dip them in that and give them a good soak with the blades in situ. I've allowed for some shrinkage. I'm not quite sure how best to fit the belt loops to the brass rings.

I did deviate from the Mors ideal ( and the Skookum I'd have liked if I had the money and the patience waiting for it) In not having a flat plate for hammering on the pommel. The lack of same had been the deal breaker when I first considered getting a blade from Bernie way back when. However I can't actually see a situation where I'd ever use it, would be paranoid about using a hammer with a big metal spike pointing towards my face and finally all my favourite knives have well rounded butt ends that don't dig into my podgy hands.

ATB

Tom

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Not got time tonight to get them waxed but I've finished the leather working part. Not my best work ever, I need to get back into practice, but the hot bees wax and some work with a bone slicker will cover up a multitude of sins!

EfrYD5l.jpg

I'll replace the paracord with leather thong. The lower sheath I'll be using with a 2.25" belt hence the huge loop.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Got them hot wax dipped this AM ( and made a couple more No. 10 sized candles since the wax was liquid anyway ) and have been pulling the knives out periodically to stretch the leather so the fit doesnt get too tight with the shrinkage as the wax cures.

pUMvo4m.jpg

IyIAPgY.jpg

Ok not perfect but I'm happy with them and after a few days use I'll forget the bodged bits and they will be banged up anyway.

Anyroad, Cheers!

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE