Auger advice needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Hello everyone , I want to buy an auger for outdoor use , making tables and chairs in the bush , can experienced users tell me what to look for when buying one , maybe what makers are good , I am considering vintage of course , preferably with an eye to put a stick in it and use it , any advices are welcome

ChrisAsh

Apr 19, 2019
Cheshire
What you are looking for is called a scotch eyed auger
I'm not sure of makers too look out for, however I have seen a few available on ebay

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
I use one of these.
braceandbit.jpg

I got mine, and replacement auger bits at boot sales.

ChrisAsh

Apr 19, 2019
Cheshire
That is an auger bit, for use in a device in the above post, if you have the skills you could turn it into a scotch eyed (dave Canterbury has a video on his YouTube) by welding an eye onto it

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
That is an auger bit, for use in a device in the above post, if you have the skills you could turn it into a scotch eyed (dave Canterbury has a video on his YouTube) by welding an eye onto it

Yes I have seen that video but I decided to make something Lonnie from far north bushcraft and survival showed where he filed a plug to fit brace bits , so thats all figured now Im looking for a bit and saw this

ChrisAsh

Apr 19, 2019
Cheshire
No problem, your first post indicated that you were looking for a scotch eyed.
Other than that it looks like a well used auger you have found, £12 doesn't sound too bad, and might be worth the risk

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
No problem, your first post indicated that you were looking for a scotch eyed.
Other than that it looks like a well used auger you have found, £12 doesn't sound too bad, and might be worth the risk

I know I waanted a scotch eyed one but prices are so high.... prefer this was and I will spend half price nd can change bit sizes
I think I will buy this , the seller has good reputation, quick run with 1000 grit stone should do the job

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
I know I waanted a scotch eyed one but prices are so high.... prefer this was and I will spend half price nd can change bit sizes
I think I will buy this , the seller has good reputation, quick run with 1000 grit stone should do the job

You can get new ones from the likes of Tool Station, Screwfix, Machine Mart etc etc. Usually have hex ends, so they work fine in a hand brace.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE