Trying to get rid of a Wenonah Jensen 18 canoe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
My days of slogging down the miles of the DWR are, I think, now over. I've been lucky enough to do it twice but feel that, from now on, my paddling should be entirely pleasurable and not against the clock or other, far more efficient paddlers!

This means that I am now ready to part company with my Wenonah Jensen 18 Ultralight Kevlar canoe. The intention is to replace it with something a little more robust - and heavier - for paddling around the lochs, sea lochs and rivers in the north-west of Scotland. The question is: how best to sell it?

If anyone has any ideas about how to do this, I'd be incredibly grateful!

Richard

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
. The question is: how best to sell it?

If anyone has any ideas about how to do this, I'd be incredibly grateful!

Richard

I could suggest 'advertise it', however if you list it on Ebay IT WILL sell, you might not get what you think it is worth but it will sell (you can always put a 'minimum sales price' - reserve - on it).
You could even try a 'buy-it-now' and list it at the price you think it is worth.

Just an example :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Revenge-...160438?hash=item2f2f5e1f36:g:zQoAAOSwzTRcrbWF

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
What are the disadvantages of such a boat please?

Sitting in Germany and owning three Canadiers without enough time currently to use them I 'm not really a client for you.

But I am interested in thouse boats and thought about buying one later.

I am very surprised, that you want to change it. I thought it would be for flat water the definitely best option, like a Hilleberg Nallo 2 or Akto tent is the best Idea in most conditions.

firedfromthecircus

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2014
there
I have both bought and sold canoes through Song of the Paddle. Yes, you have to pay to be able to list items for sale, but it will be far less than the ebay fees on a boat like yours.
Another option is Facebook groups, but I would be reluctant to go that route due to the nature of the platform. Is there a DWR page?

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
What are the disadvantages of such a boat please?

Sitting in Germany and owning three Canadiers without enough time currently to use them I 'm not really a client for you.

But I am interested in thouse boats and thought about buying one later.

I am very surprised, that you want to change it. I thought it would be for flat water the definitely best option, like a Hilleberg Nallo 2 or Akto tent is the best Idea in most conditions.

The 'disadvantages' come, principally, from its extraordinary light weight. It tracks beautifully and is a dream on portages but the ultralight kevlar won't fare so well on the consistently rocky shores and landings in the Highlands. As you say, it is the perfect option on flat water but, in Scotland, the water is seldom that! On some of the bigger lochs, the wind can whip up the water in a fairly spectacular manner and so I am after a boat with a bit more 'heft' to it to keep it lower in the water and so more stable.

I have loved using it but feel that something a little more rugged will suit my purposes better. As a result, I am looking at either a Wenonah Champlain or a 17 as a replacement.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Ah I see!
Thank you for the information!

In Brandenburg and Mecklenburg, where I usually paddle around, we have the nicest sand you can imagine.
The whole area is a perfect playing ground!

Seriously: If you can't sell it in Britain, try to sell it to Berlin!
Paddlers own long cars, Berliners love to travel and usually they speak a better English than a lot of British people do!

To buy such a boat could be a reason for a journey to Britain.

rancid badger

It'll cost you £5 to join song of the paddle (or it did last time I coughed up my subs) and I've sold every boat I've owned (apart from my two current ones) and bought a couple of them too on there. ( Err...I think it's 5 canadians and a sit on top so far) Do some research and don't under price it, good brand, high spec boats in good condition hold their value amazingly.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I reckon SotP would be a good place for it. I like the things that I sell - gear or whatever - to go to good homes where they will be appreciated and well used. I know that eBay is good for a relatively quick sale but, thankfully, I'm in no tearing hurry, so SotP it is; and on here, of course!

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Are there any pictures of the boat (not one known to me?) Would a Charles River be of any interest (in excellent condition) for your purposes?

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Are there any pictures of the boat (not one known to me?) Would a Charles River be of any interest (in excellent condition) for your purposes?

I haven't taken any pictures yet because I'm embarrassed to say that I still haven't cleaned it off and waxed it yet. I will post pictures when it's ready - promise!

As for its replacement, I think I'm going to go for another Wenonah - the Prospector 16 - as I am familiar with how they run and so on and I like the quality of the build and finish. Thank you for the offer, though.

Reactions: Laurence Milton

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE