Looking for advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ChrisAsh

Apr 19, 2019
Cheshire
Hey everyone, hope everyone is well and getting out and about.

Well I've decided that I want to try my hand at an adventure. To this end I'm planning on hitting the Boreal forest, namely in either Sweden, Finland or Norway.

My plan is to have a 7/10 day adventure in late spring early summer next year (2020)

Does anybody have any experience in planning this type of trip, and any hints and tips.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
There are a fair few here that have done it around that time of year, stick around, they'll see this soon enough, sounds like a great trip, any thoughts on transport, car hire or a canoe adventure on the lakes ?

ChrisAsh

Apr 19, 2019
Cheshire
A canoe trip sounds like a great idea, however I'm so out of practice on that it's not funny, (we are taking over a decade on my last canoe experience, and a little bit longer since my last portage)

My plan at the moment is to fly into country, then public transport my way to the access point, finally hiking into final location.

ChrisAsh

Apr 19, 2019
Cheshire
I've only been a member of this forum for a short time, however my experience is vast, my foundation was in Canada as a child going out into the wild and learning traditional first nation skills (bow & drill, fire craft and maintenance, also listening to the stories) from my great uncle, at the age of 12 I moved to the UK and joined the scouts, further gain camping knowledge, knots, canoe and kayak qualifications. I'm self study in plant & tree id, and have also attended foraging course with wildfoods UK. At the age of 18 I went back to Canada for a trip out into algonquin Park with my cousin on a canoe trip, including portage for upto a mile.
Back in the UK at 20(my last canoe trip) in Scotland.

At 25 life took over and my outdoor living took a back burner until the age of 30 where I was able to pick things up again although only adhoc. At 34 I suffered a mental health issue and realised that I need to reset on a regular basis, now I'm recovering I want to make sure that I never go through that again I'm making sure that I have regular reset.

Reactions: bopdude and Janne

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
It seems you have enough skills to venture into a more natural nature!

I would suggest you look into paddling downstreams of the river Dalälven in central Sweden. You can either start upstreams on Västerdalälven, or Österdalälven, which go together into Dalälven, or start after the merger.
Rent a canoe, get a fishing permit, and have lots of fun!

The river(s) are slow flowing, very few portages.
Not total Scandi wilderness that far south, so you can resupply. Beautiful nature, lots of fish and other wildlife!

Reactions: Toddy

ChrisAsh

Apr 19, 2019
Cheshire
Thank you for your advice, I will definitely be adding that onto my list of ideas

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If you prefer lakes, there are some nice ones north of Kristianstad, west of Bromolla in southern Sweden.
More 'civilised'.
Not as much wildlife, and more people than in the previous recommendation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE