Puuko Knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
I still have my first Puukko, a jisakki Javenpaa that i bought after i first got into this over 15 years ago. I've tried to supercede it with more modern blades, such as an Enzo Trapper and a making my own woodlore style. My good lady now has the puukko but it is still the best knife i ever used and still looks like new. Thanks to this thread i've even found out thier website again, now, wheres that credit card gone :angelic2: ?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
What surprised me is that flint is not slippery, even wet with raw meat juices.

In other words, you cut yourself badly??
:)

I eonder, if you cut into bone using a flint knife, will it chip?
I do not fancy getting tiny ultra sharp flint flakes cutting my body from the inside.

Having a bad case of Diverticulosis, that is the last thing I need.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Not strictly traditional but my favorite crossover of modern and traditional.
d20885affaabf9fea2cc278fb6cf58b7.jpg

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk
Well, where is the modern bit?
I see a beautiful handle, a traditional Swedish blade.....

That combo, you have created a fantastic knife. Better and more beautiful than most custom made, fancy schmancy steel ones, at a fraction of the cost.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
No, I have not cut myself yet. Flint is so sharp, you learn so fast, never let your hands get in the way.
My experiences are usually breaking down large bison roasts for other preparations.
As you can expect, it is wet and messy but cold. Unlike field dressing a whole animal.
In any case, a swish in water cleans the flint for another attack on a front quarter!

Since 2001, I have eaten 6-7 bison. 2-year olds weigh about a ton, a side is about 200kg, bone in.

Perhaps cutting up grouse, geese, ducks, chickens and fish is easier to imagine.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I've gone all over the place with blades but find my go to has become a little Mora 510 I picked up on here some time ago. It's a nice around slicer.

I like a heavier blade for bigger tasks up to a point but wouldn't go back to thick blades.

Andy

Reactions: Robson Valley

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
No, no, I am not negative towards you!
I just pointed out that as the maker lives in a country where wages are less than half, the product, as excellent as it is, should be much cheaper.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE