Overseas Nordmarka fishing advice please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
Myself and my wife are off on our first overseas wildcamping adventure in a couple of weeks time.
On advice we have booked flights to Oslo and are then taking the local train north to Nordmarka area.
We are hammocking and are reasonably competent with the correct gear. I have always been a fisherman, and as the area is full of unspoilt lakes it would seem rude not to have a go at the fishing. I have got a travel spinning rod and a handful of plugs and spinners to have a go. I need to get a fishing permit, but where would be the best place to pick one up in central Oslo? I will also want to pick up a bottle of Methylated spirits (rodsprit)? in Oslo.
I have also been told there will not be a problem carrying bushcraft knives and a saw in our main luggage. I hope this is correct.
Really looking forward to this now. Any advice would be appreciated.
Greg & Alison

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Check online where you can buy the permit, you buy them locally.

Plugs and lures I would buy in Norway, they are designed to attract the local fish!

No problem transporting sharps, axes, saws in checked luggage!

The only problem we sometimes encounter is that sometimes the security in UK do not allow travel rods as handheld luggage.

Petrol stations carry meths. Explain the use, and you can get pure alcohol. Used to put in the windscreen washer liquid container in the car.
Or DIY/builders stores.
I have problems with my Trangia alco burner function with the Meths I bought in a Norwegian outdoor store.
Weak yellow flame, fat soot.

Nordmarka is a very popular semi wild area, used by Oslo people as a relaxation area.

If this is the first time you visit nature in Scandinavia, please read the Right to Roam rules.
https://www.visitnorway.com/plan-your-trip/travel-tips-a-z/right-of-access/

If you sleep a day extra in the same place - nobody will object, but one rule that has to be followed is the ban on doing fires, from mid April to September, longer if it is dry.

Last edited:

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
Cheers.
I knew about open fires, but I will be using a bushbox when I want to cook.
The Meths is just for a morning brew.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
It is incredibly dry in southern Scandinavia, several firest fires rage there now.
Smaller than the huge ones in Sweden last year though ( do not want those ever again!)

An Alcohol burner is safer.

Do you plan to eat what you catch?

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
It is incredibly dry in southern Scandinavia, several firest fires rage there now.
Smaller than the huge ones in Sweden last year though ( do not want those ever again!)

An Alcohol burner is safer.

Do you plan to eat what you catch?

Taking plenty of dehydrated meals, but I will subsidise my diet if I catch anything worth knocking on the head.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
You should get plenty of perch.

Remove insides, fry in butter, sprinkle salt, and ENJOY!
:)

In lakes, fishing from the shore, I always get most fish by using a heavy weighted float/ plug, sliding line, Aberdeen hooks and earthworms.

I do not mind a bit of small fish bones, so I have eaten basically all species, as long as they are over 5 inches long. When hungry, smaller even.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The number of forest, moor and field fires have increased a lot. apparently the ground itself is very dry too now.
The Fire services say all those fires are caused by human action.

Some councils recommend that no fires at all, including smoking, are lit.

If you are on a lake shore, I would just soak the ground where the Trangia will sit and not worry too much, to be frank!

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
I am always mindful when lighting a fire, even in a bushbox.
Some people's stupidity is beyond belief!
Regarding the fishing permit, do you know central Oslo?
As soon as we get into town, I will be wanting to get the permit and meths as quickly as possible, then get underway.
Thanks

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Follow the link in post #7, click on the 'Freshwater fishing license for Oslo'

You might want to send them an email, easiest that way.

I know Oslo fairly well, but not where you can buy the permit. Scandinavia is hugely 'computerised' and you can buy the permit electronically from your mobile.
I am a dinosaur when it comes to these things, so sorry!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE