How much are women able to carry?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I had this in mind but not knowing how to post this sort of thing or try to explain it I didn't . Also I didn't want to take things off at a tangent as I said. Thanks for telepathically knowing exactly what I wanted to say and doing it for me :) great minds think alike we are awesome! :)

Reactions: santaman2000

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Those that can, do......... :)

I met a very interesting lady a few years ago who was walking the old drove roads, and taking the best part of a year doing so. Pack pony for the weight, and a Jack Russel for company. Now that is the way to do it. I go out sometimes and get it all wrong, like taking a sack load of canned food and no tin opener, but I always have the ability to laugh at myself. Ask for advice on a forum and you're always going to get some bewildering replies, better to ask for "ideas".

Reactions: Nomad64

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Try it on a gravel road, with two buggered lower vertabrae, maybe 50 kilometers from the nearest village.
:)
Dumping a bike is never a picnic. Gravel is a real hassle, especially when embedded in your butt! Gorse bushes are not fun to land in either.... I've done that off roading. :) still at least we live to tell the tale which is always a good trick.

Reactions: santaman2000

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I met a very interesting lady a few years ago who was walking the old drove roads, and taking the best part of a year doing so. Pack pony for the weight, and a Jack Russel for company. Now that is the way to do it. I go out sometimes and get it all wrong, like taking a sack load of canned food and no tin opener, but I always have the ability to laugh at myself. Ask for advice on a forum and you're always going to get some bewildering replies, better to ask for "ideas".
Now that's the way to do things! I'd have loved to meet that lady! Always had a mad dream to do something like that with a donkey. Never did anything about it. Wish now I had. I struggle to walk more than a mile or two nowadays and suffer for it too so maybe I'd need two donkeys.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Yes as an illustration, not a thread hijack I will tell a little tale of my youth. When I first started riding a moped and wanted a bigger faster machine than a puch moped it was considered a bsa bantam would be plenty for me to handle. I knew it was still too small so I finaly got an mz 250. After I passed my test on it I wanted bigger again and a Honda 250 was promoted as the ideal machine which made no sense to me at all. I finaly settled on a susuki 380 but realy wanted a triumph 750 trident. After a year I got one much to everyones horror as it was thought it was much too big for me. I proved them all wrong. Even now there is a lot of shock when I tell someone who doesn't know me that I have a susuki intruder 800. Now I'll admit I do struggle a wee bit with it nowadays so I'm having a 750 yamaha virago sorted for this summer. A much smaller and lighter bike. What I'm trying to say is we have different limits at different times in our lives so there is no way you can make even a recommendation as only the person themselves knows what their limits are. Maybe that wasn't the best illustration but I'm sure you get the idea.

showing your age there Kiddo :)

Reactions: Woody girl

Mr Wolf

Jun 30, 2013
Nottinghamshire
The OP has on a number of occasions posted rather odd, open ended questions on this forum giving no clue as to whether there is a genuine purpose behind the query or it is posted out of idle curiousity
I don’t think the OP’s intentions are malicious.
Lots of things change over time, I guess the only way to find out is ask!
My views change over time, as does society and the perceived norm.
I really did not want to bring this up but the best example I can think of is heavy lifting at work.
My male staff albeit jokingly with serious undertones ask why they do the all the lifting and women with the same job title can’t and they are both paid the same.... I stick to the most up to date H&S advice to dig me out that hole because any other answer I give would offend either party.
Managing people is f insane in today’s workplace,with men, women, transgender and none gender specific..... I miss the simpler times where everything wasn’t treading on eggshells and a potential hate crime

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....Not a completely useless thread - I’ve been accused of being politically correct, which is a first!

:dancer:
Doubtful,it will be the last. Particularly if you should expand your circle of friends outside those who don’t recognize it due to their likeminded correctness.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Now that's the way to do things! I'd have loved to meet that lady! Always had a mad dream to do something like that with a donkey. Never did anything about it. Wish now I had. I struggle to walk more than a mile or two nowadays and suffer for it too so maybe I'd need two donkeys.
Do it now while you still can. Age gets us all in the end.

Reactions: Mr Wolf

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....It is highly unlikely that she would ever find her way onto BCUK but if she did, she would inevitably be given lots if helpful advice from keyboard experts....

Those that can, do......... :)
We agree on something; keyboard warriors are annoying. We also agree that those who can, do. Right up,until age dictates otherwise. We also pass it down to succeeding generations. My such endeavor is teaching as many of those skills as possible to my two grandsons. Teaching their mother, my daughter, as many as she could absorb was also a great joy.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It’s the idealists that you have to watch out for, the root cause of PC
We were all idealists once. Age and the accompanying life experiences bring a pragmatism. I don’t know what saddens me more: the unrealisticness of the ideals, or losing that youthful idealism.

Reactions: Mr Wolf

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Managing people is f insane in today’s workplace,with men, women, transgender and none gender specific..... I miss the simpler times where everything wasn’t treading on eggshells and a potential hate crime

I employ 4 females. It is very, very difficult.
I guard my tongue at all times, so I am not perceived saying anything ‘sexist’. Also, I am very afraid of accidentally touching them, which I have to do to convey a message I do not want the patient to see.

Plus, I can not treat a female patient without a chaperone. I can not adjust the bib, touch their hair, inform if I need to figitalky examine the neck area, or similar.

It is quite tiring, to have to concentrate to do a good job, plus not to do anything that can be seen or perceived as inappropiate.
It was easier as little as 10-15 years ago.

Only one thing is more difficult, and that is to remember all the passwords.
Rant over.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
If it was my opinion though, I am still fully in my right to have it,and express it.

I'm fully in favour of people expressing their opinions - it helps others identify them for what they are.
No one's challenging your rights and freedoms to express whatever opinions you want. You have full freedom of speech. What you don't have is freedom from repercussions. Expect to be called out on some of your opinions

I employ 4 females. It is very, very difficult.
I guard my tongue at all times, so I am not perceived saying anything ‘sexist’. Also, I am very afraid of accidentally touching them, which I have to do to convey a message I do not want the patient to see.

Plus, I can not treat a female patient without a chaperone. I can not adjust the bib, touch their hair, inform if I need to figitalky examine the neck area, or similar.

It is quite tiring, to have to concentrate to do a good job, plus not to do anything that can be seen or perceived as inappropiate.
It was easier as little as 10-15 years ago.

Only one thing is more difficult, and that is to remember all the passwords.
Rant over.

You're not the only one who works with females. I work in the NHS and my colleagues are predominantly female. And yet I don't seem to have problems navigating respect for them. Maybe you should stop seeing them as something different and try treating them as equals and then you might be a bit more comfortable around them and relax more. Instead you obviously see treating them with respect as a challenge.

Why not bring your sensitive counselling skills to the task?

There isn't too much difference between what our women can/could carry when I was a young man and we travelled more and owned less. Now we own more but carry less... .

My mother carried all the domestic stuff when we moved camps. Tents, bedding, clothing, food, pots/pans and the like. All carried on a tump line on forehead. Sometimes it looked like she was hid behind it. So could other women - if they were too old to carry that stuff they carried the children who could not walk. I'm only guessing but I'd figure they could nearly carry their own weight - and they could do that for many miles over long portages. But the men carried the canoes. In the old days, birch bark and/ cedar canvas until the 60's, through to 'glass, then plastics. They are somewhat cumbersome and awkward to carry. It was also always expected that the men carried all the hunting equipment and their own personal equipment. A modern canoe, such as my Nova Craft I think weights around 80lb I guess. My own gear a little less maybe. Makes no difference just harder work. My wife too could carry that and we all moved around retgular until the maybe some 35 years ago, when we were made to settle more and got 4X4 - but still there were no roads

So a woman can carry about the same weight as a man but not if you don't grow up getting used to it. When I did some guiding, very few women from other places in towns & cities could carry a canoe and few could carry more than small package.. All our women could canoe or camp equipment if needed.

Age don't matter much too either. My grandmother once followed us out on hunting trips until she was still going well into her 80's. Last year one of our old time hunters died and he could paddle all day, walk alday too. He could carry all his canoe and all his pack in one carry over portages which probably took about two hours to cross. His last winter trip was the year before he died. Like all his winter trips he did them alone and involved a trip up to the barren lands after the first snows and back again in spring. I don't how many miles or clicks but it took him six or seven days to travel with dog team. He died at 86. Now in Akieswiimiss, with ancestors. When we had preachers live with us my grandmother used to laugh when she saw the preacher's wife go off on trips with him and his wife just carried little bag and maybe nothing else. Grandmother used to joke that she could carry the women and the woman's equipment too!

So like Woody girl says women can carry as much as men. Our women can also handle an axe or chainsaw too as good as any man (some had missing fingers to prove it) and I have yet to see men folk from city or town cut and chop firewood as good as the older generation of our women.

Keep paddling and live longer - its hard work - but it sure beats dying..

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Doubtful,it will be the last. Particularly if you should expand your circle of friends outside those who don’t recognize it due to their likeminded correctness.

I’m intrigued as to which of my comments on this thread you regard as “PC” which seems to simply have become a term of abuse to be hurled at anyone you disagree with.

I have not at any point denied that on average men are bigger than women or that “a good big ‘un will usually beat a good little ‘un”, just that without a clear understanding of all the variables, offering anything other than very general advice in an individual case is pretty meaningless.

If it is “PC” to make selections on an objective assessment of individual abilities rather than general assumptions then I guess I am guilty but it works for me. As an example - if I was looking for a companion for a bracing 10 mile plus hike in the hills/mountains used in the UK Special Forces selection process and had to choose from three candidates, a couple being ex-military men in their late 50s or early 60s with approximately 25000 posts between them on an outdoors activity forum the other being a female 82 year old retired school teacher, which would I choose?

The woman managed a similar route last year and the year before so it is not unreasonable to assume that she would be up for it this year. In contrast, AFAIK none of the 25000 forum posts from the other candidates include any evidence of recent hillwalking experience the decision for me would be a no brainer plus a decent day out in the hills would be a more than acceptable substitute present for my mother’s 83rd birthday! ;)

This PC stuff is a minefield though - instead picking the objectively strongest (in the sense of best for the role rather than ability to bench press or deadlift), candidate or should I worry that I might be discriminating against the other candidates on the basis of some underlying physical or mental incapacity and in fact I should be making the proposed route shorter or easier (installing a handrail/stairlift?) to accommodate their “different” abilities.

Apologies if any of this seems “non-PC” but my circle of friends these days mostly consists of 70 plus year old hillfarmers who haven’t been on the PC course yet. FWIW, I have had the privilege of recently working with/learning from a couple of women (one in her 60s) who compete on equal terms with men in hedgelaying, drystone walling, sheepshearing both professionally and in competitions. I don’t judge someone’s ability to wield an axe, chainsaw etc. on the contents of their underwear! ;)

Actually perhaps you didn’t read my whole post. I did say that I was less athletic as a child and thus a bit less “manly” than most other teenage boys. That said, at least I did have the asthma as an excuse; what’s yours?

That men are inherently stronger physically than women is a reality of nature. If you believe nature or reality has changed in the last decades or the it’s different on different continents, you simply deluded yourself with political correctness.

Pretty sure I read every word of your post a couple of times but I’m still not sure what I’m supposed to need an excuse for. Sounds like you had an enjoyable and fulfilling childhood - FWIW when I turned 18 I saved up the airfare and flew to Australia and spent my late teenage backpacking and working as a farm labourer.

Australian shearing sheds and outback bars (think of the one in Crocodile Dundee but without the nice decor) are notorious for their strict rules on political correctness and inevitably having been exposed to all that snowflakery and sensitivity during my formative years some of it rubbed off on me! ;)

Anyway the sun is up, another cracking day in prospect - I’m off to “do”! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE