Can I preserve a Rabbit Skull somehow?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
We took the grandkids to our bit of woodland for the first time and they loved exploring, the oldest who is 5 was delighted to find a Rabbit skull, which we brought home, however it is quite fragile...is there any way I could preserve it so he could take it to school to share with class?

0sOkFB0.jpg

johntarmac

May 17, 2015
Herts
As a kid we used fibreglass resin to strengthen our school uniform straw boater hats. A few coats made them virtually indestructible.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Hope you know that skull was on its way to a barn dance, it couldn't get in as it had nobody to go with.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
It looks very clean already. Is the brain case empty? I don't see any obvious rodent damage.
It's is bone. Some last millions of years with no further treatment.
Degreasing with a solvent and some peroxide bleaching would make it a little more sterile in appearance.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Like RV says, Hydrogen Peroxide will clean and whiten the naturally yellow bone.

This sort of thing is what I mean with the resin.

07-DEC4-A5-109-D-4-ACC-A6-BD-27554272-F9-EC.jpg

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If it smells I would dig it in a corner of the garden in compost earth and keep the earth humid to clean it from meat.

Than I would brush it under the tap and put it on a stone in the garden that wind, rain and sun can clean the rest.

That can take half a year without any question or even more.

This epoxy block is a nice idea, but I wouldn't teach a child to use unnecessarily plastics.

I would put it on a bit smooth stuff in a transparent Ferrero sweets plastic box or something like that, close it with an elastic strap, and so the child can carry it carefully to school.

If it breaks, it breaks. Doesn't matter.

But bone doesn't break so fast.

After that opening I would watch out, where I can get skulls of other animals from so that it becomes a collection.

My brother had a whole cupboard full of this stuff and became a farmer after he studied veterinary medicine.

Real professional interests are awaked in this age. Such people become outstanding good in the end.

(But of course, you should do other interesting things with them too.)

Reactions: MrEd

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I see that the Dermestid beetles have already done a fine job of cleaning that skull.

That rabbit skeleton appears to be partially demineralized.
That's done with hot hydroxide. Resin perfusion has to be done before methacrylate embedment.
For student study, you're far better off with a dozen clean skulls than single demo specimens.
Does the school curriculum include the dissection of owl pellets? THAT holds their attention.

Start with heads from an abbatoir.
Quite a learning experience to process to degreased and bleached!
We had 300+ skulls in out laboratory collection, domestic livestock and wild life.
We had the luxury of asking the local fur trappers for all sorts of skulls.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Off course, if it's the single option to keep it, I would do that too.

It will be pretty cool on the writing desk!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE