Anyone own a Zafira tourer?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Just wondering if there's anyone on here that owns a Zifira Tourer, our Big Ssangyong Rodius is getting to the end of its life so we're looking at a smaller 7 seater that's affordable and more economic and the Zafira keeps popping up as an option.
We'll have 5 of us most of the time and the need for 7 seats now and then.

I'm interested in opinion form those that have experience of them...

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
No idea about the Tourer.

My Dad has a Zafira...its very comfy to drive and you can get loads in. I have no idea how many people...we dont have that many in the family...But its a good mini van.

I would love one of my own but I could not justify the cost.

If you get one, make sure it has a respectable engine...the smaller ones are gutless. 1.8 at the least.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The older models were good. Boss at work used his for long journeys. Left his Mercedes at home because the Zaf was nicer to drive.

We looked for one but when we got our current car the Zaf had a premium because they were so popular. A bit like the focus when I got my old Astra. 5 year old car was £500-1000 more for the focus and later on Zaf over the alternative we looked at.

Right now I don't think they're as well regarded. There's plenty on offer secondhand. I think he setting on fire issue put a downer on them for me. Have they resolved the issue fully? Can you be sure any Zaf sold now is safe from this danger?

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
No idea about the Zafira, but, like yourself, I need a big 7 seater.
So I got a Ford Galaxy. If I'm out by myself, i.e.,driving back home to the continent, I just throw an inflatable double mattress into the back as everything folds down totally flat.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I had an old zafira the missus quite liked it. Visiblility was good out the front as the pillar didn't get in the way for me when looking out the forward corner. Quite Liked the seating arrangement being able to fold then slide the three seats forward and the two rear ones folding flat, positive that the seats stay with the car. Now I have an old VW Sharan [same as ford Galaxy and seat Abraham - same factory different badges] where the seats physical lift out, gives even more room, but you have to have somewhere to put the seats when removed from the car, they are not small [or particularly light either] and when your remove five they take up a fair amount of space in your house or garage. But with all the seat out you have a small van, gets a standard double mattress laid flat in the back, easily accommodates a full size fridge and a double size cooker :) [both went kaput around xmas so having a van like car came in handy]

Can't remember what engine the zafira had, was quick enough as far as I can remember but my Sharan has a fair bit of power [1.9 TDI] as seems to be built for sitting at 70 on the motorway [not that I do that at all - I live in country road area] the Sharan can tow reasonably but is a bit thirsty when towing a heavy load.

Zafira 2 rearmost seats are small, as an adulkt I wouldn't be happy on a long journey. Sharan [old] has 7 full size seat / leg room.

Zafira MPG was reasonable, as good as anything else I've had. All my cars have been the older models. don't know about the newer versions. Newer Galaxy seems smaller than the old one from seeing them on the street.

Sep 11, 2014
Maidstone, KENT
300K on a '52' plate with 2.0l diesel.
Average 37mpg
Good - design of rear 2 seats - fold flat,
Bad - design of middle bench seat - vacate & move to access rear seats.

Apart from Turbo, original engine still running, gearbox failed at 315K

however, never ending problems with an EGR sensor, an engine management light, & limp mode (!)......

Reactions: grip

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Wifey is on her second Zafira. I think of it as a Swiss Army Knife car. None of it's abilities are class leaders, but it is a Jack of all trades. Great to be able to take a couple of the kids friends along on a trip or offer lifts to the pub. And then again you can stuff furniture in the back like a van.
Driving wise it is quite sprightly, with continental style steering (precise and responsive, not connected with elastic). Ours have both been 1.6 petrol engines and while you won't win races, they keep up with the crowd.
Problems we had with the old one (06 plate) included wiring issues in the doors, starter coils going and the windscreen wiper linkage falling off.
They often get used as taxis, so make sure you know the history.

Z

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
I personally wouldn't have one, always seem to want repairing, be wary the newer seat /VW? Ford stuff needs adblue which is £12? A can
If it was me I would be looking for a Toyota

grip

Forager
Nov 30, 2009
here and there
I have one with a eml gremlin ive had the throttle body off and cleaned that the maf off and cleaned that the inlet manifold off and cleaned that to
no avail mine is the 1.6 petrol and as said earlier its gutless mine might be a isolated case but i think these motors have a poor rep for eml problems a newer one might have these problems ironed out not sure on that.
That said a very practical family car in all respects and until recently served us well.

Thorgrim

Dec 12, 2015
London
I know you are asking about a zafira but we run VW Sharan's and Seat Alhambra's at work and they are fantastic.
I have 14 of these cars in our fleet and all we do is change tyres and do the brakes at every other service.
Has the best seating, rear leg room, side sliding door and luggage space.
Trim levels are lower than the other car brands however.

The add blue is not expensive and a fill will last some 5000 miles.

Higher cost than a zafira but better resale value so works out similar over time.

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
For some reason Opels have never been rated very highly.
A VW yes.
I don't think the modern VW are as reliable as the make used to be, i know a few T5 owners have had problems. It's more the scene that keeps them going I think.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I think it is the electronics?

It seems that the vast majority of my car problems ( LR Defenders excluded) are electronics related.
The last one, just before X-mas, was a faulty tyrepressure sensor on my C-class...

I get the feeling that most cars are more short lived than in the past, have substandard paintwork, and need larger displacement engines than in the past.
Maybe I am just getting old and grumpy.

Reactions: moocher

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
I think it is the electronics?

It seems that the vast majority of my car problems ( LR Defenders excluded) are electronics related.
The last one, just before X-mas, was a faulty tyrepressure sensor on my C-class...

I get the feeling that most cars are more short lived than in the past, have substandard paintwork, and need larger displacement engines than in the past.
Maybe I am just getting old and grumpy.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The car industry is modern day highway robbery.
Designed to break. Designed not to be repaired, but replaced.
Built used substandard materials.

I just had to replace the headers and full exhaust ( two sides) on my MB C AMG. Rust. model year 2011
The cost for OEM parts, landed, would be close to USD 20 000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Found an Italian company that did a S/s exhaust, with full (-er) flow headers, fully polished, landed USD 7000.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Thanks for all the feedback and the reviews in use, very valuble

one of the attractive things about the zifira was the better MPG, we've had bigger MPV's and i've looked at affordable bigger MPV's that are available now and they're a fair bit less to the gallon. I love my Rodius but with just 5 of us now instead of 7 it feels like we need to be more prudent. It's a mixture of affordability, MPG and space, the zifira's we're looking at will save me up to £200/month

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE