Wilderness gathering 2019

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Of course you're allowed to discuss it.
Might be slightly better placed in Out and About, but no issues over the thread.

I'm not going. I keep promising myself that I will, but it's an awful long way to travel for me. I have friends who go though, both as 'campers' and as demonstrators. They always have very positive things to say about the Gathering, so it's still on the 'I'd like to go' list.

M

Reactions: paulds and ScottE

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
Thanks
Wife has booked us whole event tickets for my birthday, have to say I’m quite excited.
We’re taking our camper, wondering if anyone has experience of the campervan field/site....and the whole event really!

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I used to demonstrate at the wilderness gathering. Forestknights ran the odd masterclass and Field Archery session.

I always enjoyed the event it was good to sit round a fire and chat to the other instructors etc.

Roger from Bison Bushcraft is the main organiser. The event has evolved since I was last there but plenty of folk say really good things about it.

I must get back there one of these days. Generally clashes with my other commitments.

Reactions: Toddy and ScottE

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've gone most years since it started. Two things I'd advise take plenty of food as site catering is limited and expensive and shops miles away, and also spending money as you will be tempted to buy lots of shiny things and goodies..!
I always camp in the wood which is limited to hammock and bivvy now as everyone wanted to camp with huge tents in the woods and it got overcrowded..
Live music in the evenings is great ..bring a chair and although there is a bar variety is limited so if you don't like cider or beer bring some you like.
It always have a great time and my grandkids did too the year they came.
There is a strict no dog policy as it is a working farm with bison among other things. Last year a day visitor brought a dog and left it in the car. It was a hot day and the dog was quickly in distress. He didn't stay long once word got round!
You can also take stuff to sell in the barn. You book it in and they sell it for you so you can carry on having a great time and you pick up unsold or your cash at the end of the day.
See you there!

Last edited:

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Every year it’s a favourite for me. If you need to resupply it’s only about four miles down the country lanes to Mere...

Reactions: ScottE

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Just thought I'd be cheeky and put this out there. Is anyone going from my area? Say roughly minehead Barnstaple Tiverton or exeter. I could realy use a lift as I no longer have a car and I'm willing to split the petrol costs 50/50 . Pm me if you are and we can make some plans. I will be hammock camping but would like to take my cast iron cookware which is impossible on a motorbike! I'm finding distance a problem on it too which means I'm exhausted when I arrive, and when I get home which spoils my enjoyment of the event. Here's hoping.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I went to about 6 or 7 wilderness gatherings . But I moved over to the alps and have not been since .
I miss them , they were great fun and lots of interesting people to chat with . I hope to make it back over some time to visit the show again

Clickhappy

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2016
Coventry
i will be going again, going to beworking the event but always fun in the evening around the camp, only missed a few been to most. Working with Dave Budd of this parish :) so come along and see his tools and demos. A great fun and relaxed event with a lot of knowledge there bit like to Moots, for the open and friendly people. :)
Taking your advice and getting me one of Dave's crook knives

Reactions: Dave Budd

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
it's just around the corner now! Well, I say that, but there is still the Moot between now an then, but for me as soon as one starts, my feet don't touch the ground again until the end of the Gathering.

It's always a fun a show to visit and to spend time at, whether just for the day to see who's out there and buy stuff, or for the whole weekend. If there for the weekend (and then some) you get to experience the evenings, where the musical entertainment, fluorescent cider and camp fires of interesting folk are to be found :D

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
it's like a distilled version of the bushcraft show I guess. There are still lots of trade stalls and schools showing their skills and courses, but not as many as the BS, there are also lots of demos and some paid for workshops to sign up for. Unless I've missed them (totally possible as I'm always working!), the WG doesn't have any talks and 'on stage' type displays/demos and no 'celebrities' to draw people in, which I expect keeps the cost down too. Maybe bushcraft show-lite for a more relaxed feel and community gathering; which would make it a stepping stone to the Moot as the full on social gathering with little trade activity.

There are basically three bushcraft gatherings: The BCUK Moot, The Wilderness Gathering and The Bushcraft Show. Each one is different and I would say compliment each other. I think if you wanted to go to just one, then any one will be good, though which is best will depend on why you are going. I think anybody going to all three will find something unique about each one and not be disappointed that they did. I go to all three now in a professional capacity and I enjoyed all for different reasons (beyond earning a living!), there are certainly familiar faces at all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE