Polish poncho/laavu

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

madadam

May 1, 2013
Bristol Uk
Hi just had delivered a laavu from military mart. Brand new 1980 label in it.
Which way round should they be for a) poncho and b) tent please. There's images on web of people wearing with both the shoulder cape out and then images with the pocket flaps out.
Any help appreciated.
Adam

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

madadam

May 1, 2013
Bristol Uk
Thanks.
Haven't worn it in anger yet.
Any idea if it's waxed or not.
I may fabsil it anyway.
Never used so probably ok, but is nearly 40yrs old

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've only used mine a couple of times. Mine was not waxed, I don't think they should be, and I didn't bother to fabsil it and it was still perfectly water proof. Tested with a hose and had a light natural shower, but nothing inside was wet.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
( When using as a tent)

At the risk of provoking a furore (!?) as most are seen pitched inside out......the tent should be pitched with the shoulder flaps inside....for why would you pitch a tent by turning your coat inside out?:(
Also it means that there is some cordage from which to hang stuff?
Finally it means that the arm holes remain watertight....water can run in when pitched inside out..... and that will apply too, if wearing as a poncho...…...
I use my lightly modded lavvu(s) a lot...……...superb things, "I love the smell of (canvas) in the mornings!!"

ps...if wearing as a waterproof garment, definitely Fabsil, otherwise capillaric action will draw water through...…..

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
I've only used mine a couple of times. Mine was not waxed, I don't think they should be, and I didn't bother to fabsil it and it was still perfectly water proof. Tested with a hose and had a light natural shower, but nothing inside was wet.

Same here. Apparently it's a good idea to pitch them for a week or so to allow them to weather before using. I used mine often for a couple of years, single, and double, and didn't have any problems with leaks. Mind you, I always camp in wooded shaded areas for that extra bit of protection from the elements.

Reactions: Philster

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
I added some zips to mine, on the main length and on the arms.
It took a bit of work to get it to align so that the zips can be used to make a tent, or as two ponchos.

Looking at the way it is built, it lookes (from memory) that the shoulder flaps should be on the inside. In tent or poncho use.

I prefered to have the flap on the outside. So I did a bit of restiching, so that the arm holes would drain outside, in that configuration.
That also means that the buttons are on the inside of the zip, in case I want to use those as well. And I left the buttons in, as I don't want to be in trouble if a main zip fails.

I fabsil'ed mine too, just in case.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE