Formatting a SD

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Used a new Micro SD in my camera.

On putting it in my computer I am told it needs formatting...which will erase my data.

Some of my pictures can be retaken...but not others.

What can I do?

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
if it is a new SD card it has to be formatted for the camera to use it, it has no data on it, so you cant lose any.
the pictures in your camera should be on the SD you are replacing or in your cameras memory,so should be safe
It will automatically warn you that Data will be lost if you format it, as it doesn't know it's actually new, it just thinks it's a SD card that can be formatted and may have data on it..

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Did you take the SD card out of the camera and it into the computer? Maybe try plugging the camera (with the SD) into the computer using a USB cable?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Before you do anything put the SD card back in the camera and check if there are images on it. If there are, but your PC isn't seeing them then it doesn't recognise the formatting for some reason. Do as mousey says and download any images using a cable connected to the camera.

If you can't see any images when the card is in the camera then I'm afraid there aren't any on it. Format the SD in the camera (it should be a menu option), take a few test images then try putting the card back in the PC. It should now see the files on the SD card. My camera manufacturer recommends downloading via cable rather than putting the SD car in a PC

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Where did you buy the SD card from? Every one I've bought from eBay has been counterfeit which will mean you've probably lost a lot of your photos, I'm afraid. Even a nerd like me well acquainted with the Linux command line struggled to get anything off it

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
The pictures are on the card, they came up when I put it in the PC...But they wont transer to the PC files.

I have no lead.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Used a new Micro SD in my camera.

On putting it in my computer I am told it needs formatting...which will erase my data.

Some of my pictures can be retaken...but not others.

What can I do?

The pictures are on the card, they came up when I put it in the PC...But they wont transer to the PC files.

I have no lead.

Puzzling.

If I've understood correctly, you can see the pictures on the SD card when you put that SD card in your computer.

Am doing copying.

The odd thing is, it did transfer a few of the pics...

And when you try to copy the pictures from the SD card (in the computer) to the hard disc (also in the computer), some of the pictures copy, but not all of them.

Now, I've had what might be a similar problem. I put an SD card into my computer, selected all the images, and tried to copy them all to my NAS. A few were copied, but then I started getting error messages (I don't remember exactly what, but it was something like "device or resource is busy").

I suspect that either the SD card reader or the wireless link to the NAS was too slow (or both were). When I copied the files first of all to the internal drive of the computer and then moved them to the NAS, it worked fine.

What I suggest, is that you try copying a few of the pictures which did not transfer in your previous attempts, but copy them over one at a time. If that works, then try two at a time; and if that works, try four at a time. Each time it works, double the number of pictures you try to copy, until you get failures again. Then go back to the number that worked.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Still sounds like a corrupted/counterfeit SD card - may well show all the pictures and could well have enough space to have saved thumbnails of them, but doesn't mean that all the data is saved. Slow or non-existent copying is one of the symptoms, I'm afraid.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
It would be helpful to know how you connected the SD to your PC, eg. a Reader, cable, slot eg.
If you check the properties of the SD card does it match the memory you think the SD is.
Sounds like a corrupted SD, what camera are you using with the SD card, and in what format are the pictures saved, some cameras save as large files and not all are compatible with PC's, eg raw files, you may have to tell your PC (software) to accept the files.

Do you have the cameras PC software for loading pictures from the camera?, always best to use the proper software designed for the camera.
There are programs that can be used to rescue corrupted data from memory devices, but should only be used as a last resort.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE