Mystery item identification?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
323C2820-F02A-496C-9C74-5D02A826EDA3.jpeg 5A166474-5364-4476-B90E-221CA9CF3170.jpeg

I bought this for 50p at a vintage fair today..
Its plastic, no visible name or writing/marking. The top plate is scratched in a radial pattern.
The knob at the bottom turns making the steel spines round the edge pop out or retract. When retracted the spines are flush with the edge.
I think its some kind of sewing kit device..
Any information would be gratefully received..

Last edited:

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Wouldn't the spikes put holes in the socks, as you were fixing the other holes, .....lol....you could be there forever.
Do the spikes hold their position half way out, I was thinking could it be for measuring the inside of a cylinder etc.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Wouldn't the spikes put holes in the socks, as you were fixing the other holes, .....lol....you could be there forever.
Do the spikes hold their position half way out, I was thinking could it be for measuring the inside of a cylinder etc.
Theres no measurement on it and while they hold in place they dont lock..

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
It's the key to the meaning of life, only we don't know what it means...................
its probably some part of a toy, 12 spikes each 30 degrees apart,
it is very intriguing,

Reactions: JohnC

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a daisy loom. Yarn is wrapped in a design across the disc and around each peg. Then the centre is stitched/knotted/woven, the pins are retracted and the daisy comes off tidily. It used to be used instead of crocheting them to make pram blankets and the like.

This is a posh brass version....

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
It's a daisy loom. Yarn is wrapped in a design across the disc and around each peg. Then the centre is stitched/knotted/woven, the pins are retracted and the daisy comes off tidily. It used to be used instead of crocheting them to make pram blankets and the like.

This is a posh brass version....

Spoilsport.......................lol.....................Research and Development Dept now closed.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
And when you start using it we are all looking forward to seeing the daisies you make, and we promise not to laugh................lol

Reactions: JohnC

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE