Time to say Goodbye_from Abbe!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
fred gordon said:
Abbe,
it disappoints me that you feel you have to go. All to often these days we seem prepared to let the wise elders fall by the wayside. Why are we on this website? For me its primarily to learn about and to discuss Bushcraft so that I can try to master skills that, in many instances, are all but forgotten. It pains me that someone with your obvious knowledge and skills feels he has to go. What does that tell us? It tells me that something seems to be wrong for we really can't afford to let such a good humoured and knowledable practicing Bushcrafters go. Lets face it, we need guys like yourself to show us the way. Good luck and I will be visiting your website.

DITTO! good luck mate.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Abbe Osram said:
I got Threads censored which had to do with hunting brown bears, skinning foxes, weapons and ammo and several others. Anyhow, I thought I will not give up so easily so I stayed on.

Today again, I got a post censored, simply being cut out. I don’t understand why I was not asked before, got an explanation from the moderators, or simply got a chance to understand why?

Well, we heard it again and again that you moderators don’t need to ask, that the forum is not a democracy etc etc. Ok, I accept that but what I don’t accept is that you cut my post while you keep the political slander against fur handling in the Thread about the baker tent, while you cut out my answer to that green nit wit, talking about stuff he doesn’t have a clue about. [/QUOTE

Alright then, perhaps this post may come across as a bit inflamatory but here goes anyway...

Recently I have noticed that the word r i f l e is included by the swear filter, now aparently this is because some people cannot browse the forums while at work as the company firewall doesn't like the word?

Am I missing something here?
Thats pathetic.
If their company firewall doesn't like it thats tough for them and no reason to effectivly ban a relatively innocuous word and perhaps the work shy gits will browse at home?

Some people on here go hunting, deal with it as its a matter of fact and dare I say it, perhaps even a part of "bushcraft" as opposed to "herbacious bordercraft" that most of us in the UK (myself included) practice cos it's not as if many of us are miles away from civilization is it?

Not much of a rant but there must be a point in there somewhere.

Regards scott.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Abbe I'm sorry that you feel you need to leave. I've learnt a lot from your posts, wit and style, even when I've read them at work! I wish you the best for the future.

I'll be checking in on your site every now and then so make sure you let us know how your cabin building goes.

Peace.

Pib

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Sorry to hear this Abbe. I hope that, in time, you will feel able to return.

I know from your writings that you are very much tuned into the 'connectedness' that many of us feel when outdoors. Hunting is one part of this.

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
Best wishes for the future Abbe - your depth of knowledge and stories/examples have been an inspiration to me as a relatively new member. :)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
demographic said:
Alright then, perhaps this post may come across as a bit inflamatory but here goes anyway...

Recently I have noticed that the word r i f l e is included by the swear filter, now aparently this is because some people cannot browse the forums while at work as the company firewall doesn't like the word?

Am I missing something here?
Thats pathetic.
If their company firewall doesn't like it thats tough for them and no reason to effectivly ban a relatively innocuous word and perhaps the work shy gits will browse at home?

Some people on here go hunting, deal with it as its a matter of fact and dare I say it, perhaps even a part of "bushcraft" as opposed to "herbacious bordercraft" that most of us in the UK (myself included) practice cos it's not as if many of us are miles away from civilization is it?

Not much of a rant but there must be a point in there somewhere.

Regards scott.

Err, what are you on about Scott?

Rifle is definitely not in the swear filter and never has been. The reason that some threads get moderated is because the gun discussion goes beyond hunting etc into the guns themselves and then some one jumps on with a comment like…”if you had to spot a human from breaking into your house what gun would you use.”

The whole place gets put into a classification and that doesn’t just stop it getting into the work place but educational establishments as well. It’s a balance not just between appropriate content but people being able to see it as well.

Back to the pathetic though, I’m afraid you’re mistaken about the filter and I do agree with you that for some it’s a part of bushcraft. I go out and catch stuff for food, that’s hunting.

I hope that explains it a bit more fully. I was deliberating on how to address your post but thought that pulling into a new thread would be overkill.

I hope that Abbe reconsiders about leaving the forum as I think he’s a great guy and a great member of the site who puts in a lot and stands by what he believes. I’m looking at how things are moderated and considering all the angles I can see and I’ve taken on board what people have said, including your comments above.

Abbe, don’t stay away too long. ;)

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Tony said:
Err, what are you on about Scott?

Rifle is definitely not in the swear filter and never has been. The reason that some threads get moderated is because the gun discussion goes beyond hunting etc into the guns themselves and then some one jumps on with a comment like…”if you had to spot a human from breaking into your house what gun would you use.”

The whole place gets put into a classification and that doesn’t just stop it getting into the work place but educational establishments as well. It’s a balance not just between appropriate content but people being able to see it as well.

Back to the pathetic though, I’m afraid you’re mistaken about the filter and I do agree with you that for some it’s a part of bushcraft. I go out and catch stuff for food, that’s hunting.

I hope that explains it a bit more fully. I was deliberating on how to address your post but thought that pulling into a new thread would be overkill.

I hope that Abbe reconsiders about leaving the forum as I think he’s a great guy and a great member of the site who puts in a lot and stands by what he believes. I’m looking at how things are moderated and considering all the angles I can see and I’ve taken on board what people have said, including your comments above.

Abbe, don’t stay away too long. ;)
Oh, oops

Just seemed that everytime someone mentioned the word rifle it got blanked out, I (wrongly) took that to mean that it was done by the swear filter.

Sorry, my mistake.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
C_Claycomb said:
Abbe, don't go over something that minor. You make good posts. (SNIP) However I don't see that there is a need to burn your bridges and go for good.

Clearly it wasn't something minor to Abbe...more like the straw that broke the camel's back.

Abbe also may not "need" to burn his bridges but again, clearly believes he has too.
I also have issues with how this site has been moderated over the last year or so...Abbe has the courage of his convictions to stand up and put his money were his mouth is and I applude him for that. If he didn't do it so pulicly then nothing would change. As more and more oldtimers leave maybe sooner or later certain elements of the MoD team (it's not all of them by a long shot) will start to learn that they can't do exactly what they want without some form of repercussions or maybe they will be pulled into line by the site's admin.

Abbe, good luck my friend this place will be the worse for not having you here. You and I have been mates for a fair while now and sooner or later I WILL get over there to see you :)
Take it easy bud,

Bam. :confused:

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
bambodoggy said:
Clearly it wasn't something minor to Abbe...more like the straw that broke the camel's back.

Abbe also may not "need" to burn his bridges but again, clearly believes he has too.
I also have issues with how this site has been moderated over the last year or so...Abbe has the courage of his convictions to stand up and put his money were his mouth is and I applude him for that. If he didn't do it so pulicly then nothing would change. As more and more oldtimers leave maybe sooner or later certain elements of the MoD team (it's not all of them by a long shot) will start to learn that they can't do exactly what they want without some form of repercussions or maybe they will be pulled into line by the site's admin.

Bam. :confused:

I'm not one to moan but I must agree with Bam.

Something must be wrong to hack off a balanced,sensible character like Abbe.
He has always been balanced and courteous in his posts and in his discussions on sensitive issues.

I have been modded once or twice,with good reason,and have had a PM to explain why.Has this practice been abandoned?

I can see that when dealing with numpties who obviously have an agenda,it would be a waste of time and effort.However,with a member of good standing,who has earned the respect of the majority of us,it would be good form to take the time to explain why the posts were being pulled/edited.

Hopefully the team can find it's old form and get this great forum back on the rails.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Abbe Osram said:
I got Threads censored which had to do with hunting brown bears, skinning foxes, weapons and ammo and several others. Anyhow, I thought I will not give up so easily so I stayed on. QUOTE]

This probably has a great deal to do with why discussion of “kit” is so prevalent, as I for one now simply do not bother posting stuff that in concerned with the hunting/killing of fauna; something that for me, and STRONGLY suggested elsewhere, is inextricably linked to what many do in the bush here in the UK.

I will miss your contributions as I love the way you simply ”tell it as it is” and with no ulterior motive that at least I can detect. In fact your decision to part-company with this site has again shamed me for not taking the same action in the matter of a certain thread that was most certainly posted with a motive and dealt with that single piece of kit that game should fear most.

All the best and please do stick around at least until this thread is locked!

Cheers

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Hey Abbe

You will be missed - your posts have been some of the best on here but I understand your decision mate.

Look after yourself and enjoy your bushcraft.

Chris :)

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I too will greatly miss your contributions, Abbe. You're one of the best. :)

Remember, you can always come back... ;) :)

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
"Neither Abbe nor Nigel got an explanation by PM because it says in the moderators note left in place of the removed post "

I had a quick look and can find no sign of these moderators notes - is it possible that they are only visible to moderators? :confused:

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
I can't see the removed posts either - post #56 is by Toddy, then post #57 is from longshot. There's nothing between and no mention of the removed posts.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Oh dear.
:eek: I was afraid that that might be the case, but only picked up on it yesterday when Abbe said there had been no explanation :(

I knew that I couldn't see notations about posts being deleted if I wasn't logged in, but I didn't have a non-moderator account handy to check whether they were visible to members or not. :banghead:

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Abbe,

Sorry to see you go, I've enjoyed your posts and have always found them informative. Good luck in the future.

Brian

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE