Hybrid cars - expensive to maintain?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
We are renting a Toyota Rav4 hybrid since one week.
Brand new car. Feels good, looks good.
But.......

The petrol consumtion is just as high as on one of our ’normal’ cars!
Is it not supposed to be much lower and thus environment friendly?

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
The fuel consumption of hybrids is notoriously overstated, I know cos I have one. Also very much depends on your driving style and journey. For most they basically allow you a big car (mine is 2.5L petrol) but cheap 'road tax' and lower fuel bills. A 2.5l petrol should get what 30mpg, I get nearer 40 depending on the driving I do, less on motorways, more in towns due to it flicking on to battery in towns more. There is no doubt it is more environmentally friendly but more down to less pollution for equivalent engine size and less pollution in towns.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I drive the same way I always do. Yes, less tsxes, even in Norway I believe.
But if they drink the same amount, what is the point?
I expected much better!
It has the same fuel consumption as my wifes C250.

I only rented it because of this thread, to be honest. Summer time when I return, I will go for the same type of car I always rent, a Passat 2.0 Turbo Diesel.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
if you are doing long highpeed journeys (55mph+) then the diesel is the way to go. If you are pottering around town, the occasional 40mph journey then hybrid should win. I just like the shape of the car and equipemnt :D

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
A couple of 45+ mph one hour trips maybe three times so far, then a couple of approx 5-25 mph, maybe 10 minute each, every day.

Same as the last 20 years. No change in my agressivity, road layout and so on.

In fact, it was wife that pointed out the fuel use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE