The complete book of self sufficiency AKA Convo on Copyright law

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
the 70-ies 80-ies edition, still superb, lots of positive inspiration

LINK REMOVED DUE TO COPYRIGHT.

have fun friends

I’m a big fan of John Seymour and his works which (if my limited understanding of copyright law is correct), are protected until 2074 (seventy years after his death) - so perhaps we should respect him and just buy the book.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Complete-Book-Self-Sufficiency-Realists/dp/0241352460/ref=sr_1_1?crid=OKRT1VWZHMZP&keywords=john+seymour+the+complete+book+of+self+sufficiency&qid=1553090981&s=books&sprefix=John+sey,stripbooks,179&sr=1-1

Also recommended is this more recent work by smallholding shepherding guru Tim Tyne and his Mrs.

https://www.allotment-garden.org/bo...ving/viable-self-sufficiency-by-tim-dot-tyne/

Edit: typo and more info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mr Morris777

Mr Morris777

Mar 2, 2019
Westland
I’m a big fan of John Seymour and his works which (if my limited understanding of copyright law is correct), are protected until 2074 (seventy years after his death) - so perhaps we should respect him and just buy the book.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Complete-Book-Self-Sufficiency-Realists/dp/0241352460/ref=sr_1_1?crid=OKRT1VWZHMZP&keywords=john+seymour+the+complete+book+of+self+sufficiency&qid=1553090981&s=books&sprefix=John+sey,stripbooks,179&sr=1-1

Also recommended is this more recent work by smallholding shepherding guru Tim Tyne and his Mrs.

https://www.allotment-garden.org/bo...ving/viable-self-sufficiency-by-tim-dot-tyne/

Edit: typo and more info.

I got the Original book!!
I guess he will sell more books if one really sees this pdf, people want it in the shelf.
At the moment the latest edition is in the stores.
But if this post here is a problem, delete it. It is only a link to a link, not my upload.
I don't think the respected man was fond of alot of money, but his goal would have been to see his vision implemented in alot more places….this was the time before PC.
sharing and caring, especially in this day and age where major food shortage can be 3 days away.
Honour the man, get some stuff done, if possible

Last edited:
Reactions: Fadcode

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I haven't read this book so are not sure of the meaning of the contents, however if this book was written with the intention of educating or instructing people to do certain things, then it is possible that no copyright law has been broken, as education and instruction matter is normally outside the copyright laws, unless the articles are done for commercial gain, and providing that the author is properly acknowledged.

I am not sure about it being transcribed into a pdf file, but even the national Library are now converting their books to be read online, as well as art, etc.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
I haven't read this book so are not sure of the meaning of the contents, however if this book was written with the intention of educating or instructing people to do certain things, then it is possible that no copyright law has been broken, as education and instruction matter is normally outside the copyright laws, unless the articles are done for commercial gain, and providing that the author is properly acknowledged.

I am not sure about it being transcribed into a pdf file, but even the national Library are now converting their books to be read online, as well as art, etc.

The limited exemptions from the basic law against copying and publishing copyrighted material are set out on the HMG website linked below.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/exceptions-to-copyright

A summary of the penalties for copying and distributing copyrighted materials under the the Trade Marks Act 1994 are on the link below.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...perty-offences/intellectual-property-offences

I have no experience of copyright law issues (and will certainly defer to you or anyone else who has) but my basic understanding is that providing links to “knock off” copies of copyrighted books via an internet forum potentially leaves the person who controls the forum liable to penalties which include 3-10 years in prison and and unlimited fine.

Putting this into a bushcrafting context, putting a pdf of an old edition of a still copyrighted self-sufficiency guide book on line is a bit like standing outside a venue where RM is doing a talk and signing copies of his latest book and handing out free photocopies/CD Roms/memory sticks (pick the level of tech that works for you!) containing copies of the previous edition. Although no profit will be made, inevitably people may prefer the freebie to spending their hard earned on the latest edition that RM will have invested time, effort and money in producing.

Other forums I am a member of are (rightly or wrongly) paranoid about this issue and warn members against providing links to (even out of print) technical manuals etc. and act swiftly to remove any that are posted by well meaning members ignorant of the legal position.

As said previously, I am a huge fan of JS and if people want to promote his works, perhaps sim0ly linking to somewhere that his books can be bought would be a better way of doing it without exposing anyone to potential copyright infringement issues.

If Tony and the other admins/mods have had proper advice which contradicts my understanding of the way copyright works online and/or are happy with what in the great scheme of things is a theoretical rather than real risk I’ll just wind my neck in. :)

Reactions: Sundowner

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I live near the place he ran courses at in West Wales.
A now departed friend of mine lived there for a while and told tales of "self sufficiency" there that included malnutrition and living off the course fees only as the farming was so poor...
I only have her word for it though!
I also own the original book.

Mr Morris777

Mar 2, 2019
Westland
Tony and the admin deceide, that being said.
sometimes the end justifies the means
A massive storm will hit our Nations within 20 years.
Just be brave and fearlesss, for the sake of earth, mankind our children

Mr Morris777

Mar 2, 2019
Westland
I live near the place he ran courses at in West Wales.
A now departed friend of mine lived there for a while and told tales of "self sufficiency" there that included malnutrition and living off the course fees only as the farming was so poor...
I only have her word for it though!
I also own the original book.

thus a brave man, going to harder times (he looks ok on the fotos!), leaving this temporarily comfort but being honest and wise, teaching, promoting and preaching
working for the greater cause, being a servant to the Eternal Law.
thanks for sharing those pastimes!
I know people in the big citys with huges rents, the prefer a branded jacket over food, Thus they eat primarily peanutbutter sandwitches. Malnutrition. Debt over health care and eduction.
I don't think they wrote a book.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I saw this yesterday and was concerned about the copyright issue. I didn't have time to follow up on it then, but now that I do, Nomad64 is quite right. Link removed.

Site policy is that we don't provide a platform for sharing pirate material, or circumventing copyright. It is a slippery slope to get on morally and even more so legally.

If one wants an inexpensive copy, Abe Books is a good place to look.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-sea...book-of-self-sufficiency/author/seymour-john/

Chris

Last edited:

Mr Morris777

Mar 2, 2019
Westland
I saw this yesterday and was concerned about the copyright issue. I didn't have time to follow up on it then, but now that I do, Nomad64 is quite right. Link removed.

Site policy is that we don't provide a platform for sharing pirate material, or circumventing copyright.

Chris
fair enough!

Buy local nice prices book, it's awesome for people who have some interest in it!!

Last edited:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I find it mildly amusing there's a link to Amazon . com for a self-sufficency book.;) It's cheaper at many independent retailers.

We've got a copy from a charity shop, always worth looking. It's a fun book, more of an inspiration IMHO than an in depth how-to.

Mr Morris777

Mar 2, 2019
Westland
I find it mildly amusing there's a link to Amazon . com for a self-sufficency book.;) It's cheaper at many independent retailers.

We've got a copy from a charity shop, always worth looking. It's a fun book, more of an inspiration IMHO than an in depth how-to.
you are totally right . I never bought anything there, I even dont have a Creditcard. But I don't want to be a hassle to too many here!
Not much left, but those left support them.
Better look whats in the local neighbourhood
Mine was a gift. They will probably fly out of the charity shops, wanted prints.
We have a national site where all small bookshops are united. That was a nice idea.

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The saddest thing I suppose is no matter how many second hand books are bought, it is of no benefit to the author,or his/her heirs.

Same goes for anything that is bought second hand. Books, clothes, tools, cars. I do get what you mean..., but I think it only seems a pity when the originator isn't a big company, or isn't wildly successful. I doubt that you are really bothered that J.K. Rowling doesn't get money when people sell her books second hand ;)

Mr Morris777 said:
In the south of europe alot of people have to make meets end, even buying a book is not an option.
Then a scanned .pdf is just fine, right? sharing is caring.
It seems like you are pushing something here. Please don't. This is not the place to have this debate.

Chris

Reactions: Nomad64

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Food, shelter, clothing. The three basic needs of the temperate zone.
Focus on food security and methods of preservation, the rest will come along.
I predict that clean water will become problematical first.
No, I won'r share any of the classic texts that I own.

Mr Morris777

Mar 2, 2019
Westland
Same goes for anything that is bought second hand. Books, clothes, tools, cars. I do get what you mean..., but I think it only seems a pity when the originator isn't a big company, or isn't wildly successful. I doubt that you are really bothered that J.K. Rowling doesn't get money when people sell her books second hand ;)

It seems like you are pushing something here. Please don't. This is not the place to have this debate.

Chris
understood, I will respect that

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Going back to the book, it's been years since I've looked at mine and as I've become much more self sufficient it'll be fun to go back through the book. Just picking it up tonight I notice it has only a couple of pages on keeping bees. Now we keep bees we've got several books purely on bee keeping and even they don't cover everything.

Reactions: Toddy

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I bought mine in the charity shop, I actually bought another book for 50 pence, Lofty Wisemans SAS Survival, and the lady gave me this one for free, so really I got it for nothing, I like the illustrations in it, but like most books of this genre each topic is only briefly covered, but it is an interesting read all the same.
The problem with copyright law is it is quite vague, I often go onto YT to watch some of the old shows, Hogans Heroes, Lucy, Beverly Hillbillies to name a few, now I know films have strong copyrights on them, but should I be watching these shows for free,?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE