Long tailed tits, great spotted woodpecker and a starling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Yesterday, I was playing with the camera I got a few days ago, with lenses from my old 35mm film camera (Canon 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6, Tamron 80-210mm f/4.5-5.6, Bower 500mm catadioptric manual focus and fixed aperture) on it, to see how it would do.

The colours look pale and washed out; maybe the shots were overexposed, and then processed in-camera to give these washed out JPEG images. I mildly tweaked them in Gimp to sharpen them a bit and to improve the contrast.

This starling has figured out that he can stand in the centre of the feeder and peck at what is at his feet. The magpies haven't figured that out yet, and try to hand upside down (and they fail).
starling-01.jpg

This male great spotted woodpecker was jogging up and down the tree, occasionally coming to the feeder for a peck at the fat balls
great-spotted-woodpecker-02.jpg

great-spotted-woodpecker-01.jpg

But the most frequent visitors are tits. This day, mostly a pair of long-tailed tits, and a few other species that didn't manage to snap.
long-tailed-tit-02.jpg

long-tailed-tit-01.jpg

The camera was about 14.5 metres away from the tree, manually focussed; AV mode with the aperture as wide as possible, leaving the camera to set the ISO and shutter speed... Blustery wind was shaking the feeder around, and some gusts gave the tripod a bit of a shake, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE