Planning Lightening my load

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
That ok I never advocated it instead of a sleeping mat but in addition under a mat. But someone who was maybe just browsing the site might have taken you at your word, and as this idea is tried and tested and works and costs less than a Starbucks coffee..... need I say more?:)

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Would it not work better on top of the mat?
As the mat insulates both ways, and both for heat and cold.

Weirdly enough, the oldfashioned closed cell mat works well if layd on top of snow, if you sleep in a down sleeping bag ( I have never tried a synthetic s. bag in sub zero temps in winter).
No windscreen thingies needed, imo.
Just another thing to lose.

Apr 29, 2017
London
Hi. A lightweight basha/tarp with bungees/ cord makes instant shelter, which makes all the difference when it rains. Gives you admin/workspace too.

Reactions: Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Hi. A lightweight basha/tarp with bungees/ cord makes instant shelter, which makes all the difference when it rains. Gives you admin/workspace too.
That's what the jerven bag is for. It's very versatile.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
As now seems a good time to update this thread, I put my gear together with the intention of an overnighter this weekend. For a number of reasons, that didn't happen, but on Saturday I went for a long walk with it (4hrs) to see how it felt. My gosh! Hardly noticed it on my back. Brilliant. I had everything that I needed for 24 hours. Less my head torch, I couldn't find it.....

1 = Down sleeping bag with snugpak SF bivi bag.
2 = Eurohike 20 ltr rucksack.
3 = Jetboil. (I will swap for a wood stove if the environment allows it, saving a bit of space and weight).
4 = Sawyer squeeze water filter.
5 = First Aid Kit.
6 = Nalgene bottle 1 ltr, tatonka metal cup and a metal spoon.
7 = Jerven Original.
8 = food. 1 multi grain boil meal, A home prepared breakfast (oats, nuts, milk powder), a trail mix and some coffee sachets.
9 = 3/4 inflatable roll mat. Army surplus.
10 = Thermal top and trousers for sleeping, a Merino wool hat and gloves.

My intent as originally said, was to go as light as possible with my existing gear and not to go out and spend a fortune on new 'ultra light' or lighter weight stuff. I have too much gear already and I simply cannot afford it. Space is very limited in my van as well and anything I have has to be in there or stored in a garage belonging to a family member. Anyways, my walk shows me that I can have everything I need for an overnighter, in comfort at a much lighter weight that I have previously always carried. When I over night with it I will do a trip report if people are interested to see how I get on?
2c262c3d279102a469eb69c858d4235a.jpg

Reactions: Janne

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
You will find that once you have added a knife and a bit more food, you are good for several days hiking.

I think your list is an excellent ’base pack’, only needs tiny additions for longer hikes.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
You will find that once you have added a knife and a bit more food, you are good for several days hiking.

I think your list is an excellent ’base pack’, only needs tiny additions for longer hikes.
Oops... my pocket items aren't in the pic. I have a Rangergrip 78. Some paracord, a bic lighter. And sometimes my pipe and tobacco.

66jj99

Dec 22, 2011
Bristol
Loose the jetboil / woodstove.

Add a firesteel, (just a bit of steel when you get confident to spark from that.)

Knife?

Add a fixed blade knife. Always!

Split and cut a bow drill set - bootlace for bow-cord.

You now have at least three ways to start a fire.

A fire will warm your whole body if needed. - directly, or via the ground or heated stones etc.

You then are not relying on a heavy sleeping bag.

With your focus on skill building, kit reduction will come naturally.

Plus, you have the knowledge to cope when things go pear shaped.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Loose the jetboil / woodstove.

Add a firesteel, (just a bit of steel when you get confident to spark from that.)

Knife?

Add a fixed blade knife. Always!

Split and cut a bow drill set - bootlace for bow-cord.

A fire will warm your whole body if needed. - directly, or via the ground or heated stones etc.

You then are not relying on a heavy sleeping bag.

With your focus on skill building, kit reduction will come naturally.

Plus, you have the knowledge to cope when things go pear shaped.
I have a fire steel. I have a fixed blade knife. And a Laplander saw. And an axe. I know how to make fire with a bow drill set. But all of that wasn't the purpose of going light weight my friend. I don't want to go primitive.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Are those mutually exclusive posistions then?
Of course not. But let me reply to your earlier post directly, so that you can understand the actual reason for going lightweight.....

Loose the jetboil / woodstove. No I don't want to.

Add a firesteel, (just a bit of steel when you get confident to spark from that.) I've got one. But with a jet boil I won't need it. And IF it does fail, I carry a bic lighter in my pocket. And IF the lighter fails, I'll light a fire with friction. And IF that fails I'll go to sleep in my sleeping bag.

Knife? In my pocket.

Add a fixed blade knife. Always! Not always. Dependant on my requirements. I won't require a fixed blade all the time.

Split and cut a bow drill set - bootlace for bow-cord. I carry a hank of cord in my pocket.

A fire will warm your whole body if needed. - directly, or via the ground or heated stones etc. IF I need it. I don't need a fire throughout the night. I have a sleeping bag.

You then are not relying on a heavy sleeping bag. I'd rather carry my sleeping bag than attempt to improvise one from nature. I have a down sleeping bag. 1.2kg. It's excellent.

With your focus on skill building, kit reduction will come naturally. I have enough of a skill set to know what is essential and what is a nice-to-have. I can survive with nothing over night if I wanted to. How much of reduction would be enough?

Plus, you have the knowledge to cope when things go pear shaped. I plan sufficiently enough for it not to go pear shaped. And I don't take a risks. I make calculations placed on common sense.

66jj99

Dec 22, 2011
Bristol
It seems then youy understand all the available kit choices, your personal skillset, and you've nailed down quite precise expectations from your one night away too.

That's great. Sounds like your good to go.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Nice. I haven’t seen a Juergen before. Sounds like you’re going to have a great trip!
It's one of my most expensive items I've ever brought for the outdoors. But worth every penny. I've had it for years now and it carries with it the smell of wood smoke. It's a very versatile item. If you like I can send you a load of pictures of different set ups?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
It's one of my most expensive items I've ever brought for the outdoors. But worth every penny. I've had it for years now and it carries with it the smell of wood smoke. It's a very versatile item. If you like I can send you a load of pictures of different set ups?

Just start a new thread on here jerven bag threads always generate interest

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE