Gorka 3 Russian Army Mountain Suit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
CAD39C32-800E-420B-9BB1-BFF965600A50.jpeg I thought I’d just write a quick review of the Gorka 3 Russian army mountain suit by Bars. These suits have become readily available on eBay and take about a week to arrive from Russia. Average price seems to be around £60, which is not bad for a pair of trousers and a jacket. They are made from a hard wearing cotton canvas material with stress areas covered in brown synthetic material. They have a large spacious cut (I’ll come on to sizing in a sec), adequate pockets and the jacket can be chinched up at the bottom and round the hood as well as having a partially elasticated waist. The trousers come with a pair of braces that button on (or off, depending on your preference), good pockets and wide belt loops. They have elasticated ankles and a band of elastic around the back of the calf. Personally I found the elasticated ankle a bit annoying and cut the elastic out, but whatever. All in all this is a great set of outdoor clothing at a reasonable price. Several other variants are available including an overhead smock version. They are designated by different numbers.
A note on sizing. Sizing is mad and further complicated by the fact that these things shrink significantly in hight/length when washed. As a rule the jacket and trousers are oversized, certainly in the waist/chest dimensions. You can easily afford to err on the smaller size of whatever you are and still be totally fine. However hight is a different matter. I’d go I size or two higher that you are because that jackets are shortish and shrink a bit in length and the trousers are just a law unto themselves, but because if the braces option and heavily elasticatedwaist, have a very wide marigin for each size. (Again err on the smaller side waist wise). I’m hoping I can add a picture but if not just check them out online if interested.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I've been looking at theses meself, unsure as to press the button at the moment.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Damn that's an excellent price. What's the fit like?
I'm 6'0" 44" chest 34" waist and I went for the large long. The jacket is a good fit (they are supposed to be baggy) arm length is fine. The trousers are great around the waist (they sit high up, not around your hips) but could do with being an inch longer in the leg. They sit just at the top of my Altberg warrior boots but if I was wearing some mid length boots I'd get a bit of a gap. Next time I'll go for the extra long length, and there will definitely be a next time as they are good quality for the money and not so expensive as to worry about trashing them.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I'm 6'0" 44" chest 34" waist and I went for the large long. The jacket is a good fit (they are supposed to be baggy) arm length is fine. The trousers are great around the waist (they sit high up, not around your hips) but could do with being an inch longer in the leg. They sit just at the top of my Altberg warrior boots but if I was wearing some mid length boots I'd get a bit of a gap. Next time I'll go for the extra long length, and there will definitely be a next time as they are good quality for the money and not so expensive as to worry about trashing them.
Same height as myself, 48 chest and 36 waist, quite often I have problems with sleeves being a little too long and trouser legs too, never bought any Russian kit before either. Now with so much stuff being made in China label sizes are all over the place don't you find, labels are seemingly meaningless now? I can be anything from XL to XXXL so offing online is often a lottery sadly. Craghopper stuff is now particularly bad in my opinion, they seem to make stuff for folk with pipe cleaner arms.
Anyway, thank you for that reply, much appreciated, one more thing if it's not too much of a pain in the arris and a whole lot of trouble for you could post a few pics?

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Same height as myself, 48 chest and 36 waist, quite often I have problems with sleeves being a little too long and trouser legs too, never bought any Russian kit before either. Now with so much stuff being made in China label sizes are all over the place don't you find, labels are seemingly meaningless now? I can be anything from XL to XXXL so offing online is often a lottery sadly. Craghopper stuff is now particularly bad in my opinion, they seem to make stuff for folk with pipe cleaner arms.
Anyway, thank you for that reply, much appreciated, one more thing if it's not too much of a pain in the arris and a whole lot of trouble for you could post a few pics?
Sorry I don't have a camera at the moment (or a smart phone). The chap who runs the site speaks English I believe, might be worth an email if you have any queries, I'm sure he could sort you the appropriate size. They also seem to have discounted express delivery at the moment too. I just ordered a gorka 4 in large extra long.
It would be nice if they sold the trousers as a separate item as I'll wear them far more than the jacket over the warmer months.

Reactions: CLEM

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I own a Bars gorka 3
Got it off ebay, jacket, trousers, suspenders and a hat for £70.

Love it, owned it for over a year. Excellent shell layer. Always wear it if im doing outdoorsy stuff like camping, hunting or hiking.
I really like the the tick trap in the trousers and the suspenders.
Fabric's good quality, thick enough, keeps worst of the weather out.
Tough stuff too and the poly or polycotton reinforcements are really dirt and water resistant, the only wear on mine apart from never being washed, is some slightly scuffed parts on the jacket from when i came off my motorbike one day lol

If you wear the suspenders i recommend using high leg boots as they sit pretty high up. But I think that's a good thing my self, the trouser legs dont get wet or snag on anything and the tick trap sits in the leg of the boots nicely.
The elastic also keeps everything nice n tucked in n tidy.

The stitching is all really good quality throughout the suit, although i have ended up reinforcing all the buttons on the jacket and the cargo pockets.

The SSO/SPOSN gorka suits are meant to be much more amazing quality but they are also much more expensive.
But bars are the original manufacturer and excellent quality for excellent price.

I also wish I got the gorka 4 anorak style suit instead because it would be even more wind resistant as it doesnt have the button up front and i think the big kangaroo pocket would be a lot more practical than the small hand pockets on the gorka 3 as itd be an ideal place to keep your map.

Absolutely love my suit.
Its a very well made and practical suit but the price point means you're not afraid of using it in the field.
I also love that mine is not camo but is a two colour design, i think its great for hunting as the large patches of contrasting colour breaks up the shape even at distance

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I've just got my gorka 4 and they've made a few changes. The trousers no longer have the tick traps. They now have a foot stirrup. might be useful if you're wearing them with wellies (a lot of Russian hunters do) not so useful for me, so I'll probably cut them off. The reinforcing fabric is now a ripstop weave and looks like a polycotton. The quality still seems good. and the xl length doesn't swamp me

Reactions: Mowmow

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
I’ve been looking at these. Considering the Gorka C
The sso/sposn Gorka C is the best one to get. Mine has a better fabric and colour than the Bars one.
It’s more green than brown and the fabric has a higher thread count, making it lighter and tougher.
It also has the advantage of a Velcro fastened tunnel pocket on the lower back for storage of items when not carrying a rucksack.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I have the SSO/SPOSN Gorka C suit. I've only worn the jacket a few times (managed to get a few nicks on it, sharp tools!) but it just doesn't suit. Well made etc but not convinced it's for me.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Just to bring the thread back, what sort of pack size is the jacket, I’m looking for a light shell and they seem to fit the bill, but not if they take up a load of space in my pack when not worn.

cheers
Louis

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I have the SSO/SPOSN Gorka C suit. I've only worn the jacket a few times (managed to get a few nicks on it, sharp tools!) but it just doesn't suit. Well made etc but not convinced it's for me.
What don’t you like/suit?

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Nothing in particular, good cut, good cotton, well made just not for me. I never tried the trousers but got a few nicks in the jacket, poor knife skills on my behalf.

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Ordered a Sso/sposn Gorka S or Gorka C (same thing). Had my eyes on it for a long, long time, since before i got my gorka 3 a couple years back now.

Should be here in a few weeks. I'll probably do a comparison to my Bars Gorka 3 using ohotos and doing a write up and then write up a review after some hard use in future.

Most of the information or video reviews are poorly done or not in English and either give false or misleading information about both brands of Gorka suit.

Reactions: Nice65

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
The base fabric is a tight woven cotton fabric similar to what is used in canvas shelter halves.
The reinforcements are poly cotton. Sometimes in the form of ripstop but i think it depends what make and model you buy.

fcdefdf6464fbb5288897ce36543ed56.jpg
849c789ae65929c32c0c6893b9581a8a.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE