Adders

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
No, I've not seen any, although I only usually see one or two a year, when I was young living in Dorset we used to go hunting for them and always found some... I got bitten at the Winter Moot by a horse fly, wasn't expecting that! Shows that times are changing fast in the environment...

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Yeah, I saw that article as well.
We get loads on the North Downs but I haven't seen any yet.
Funnily enough, I was off the first half of last week, when we had that hot weather. So I went up on the downs for a look about, wondering if the adders may have had an early rise.
Didn't see any.
But I did see several common lizards. So I could well believe the adders were up as well.

Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
Without warmth, they’re quite slow and so quiet sun-trap verges within reach of easily found cover, is where i’d expect to see adders at the mo.

“In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees”

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Ticks are active here in the sw too. My neighbors cat has several attached to his face poor mite. I got a couple off him today before he decided he'd had enough of my administrations! Got the scratches to prove it too!!!

Reactions: Darryl of Sussex
Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
One of the dogs had this on her ear. She has very furry ears and we had no idea it was there. No signs of illness or lethargy.

ba4f0a9c3c57b94ff58715fd386deb6a.jpg

“In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees”

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Bare in mind not everyone has a bullseye rash. If you feel at all flu like,that too can be a sign. If you know you've had a bite and you start to feel achy and unwell then hit that doctors for a blood test and some antibiotics. By the way. Little known fact. The antibiotics are the same kind they use for a certain sexualy transmitted disease. So perhaps visit a chemist several towns away to get the script!;)

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Wayland as long as you are getting better flu wise no need to worry. If it gets worse then a trip to doc for blood test is a good idea. Antibiotics don't help with flu so you'll probably have to wait a day or two for the results but I have a feeling you'll be just fine! Don't worry if the worst happens we'll have a jolly good wake in your memory at the moot.:beerchug::)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Looks like we will all have to invest in anti bug stuff everytime we go out. Ticks are so much more prevalent nowadays. Last year was awful for them . If they are out in force this early in the year it realy is a bit concerning not just for us but our pets and other wild animals too.

Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
I’m going to find a good pair of gaiters to help stop the buggers going up my trousers. I’ve also added a pair of those tick pullers and some tea tree oil to my kit, because the tick I pulled off Lola the other day is still alive in a jar and hates tea tree oil. Maybe i’ll market a blend as a tick repellant. :)

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I have some jack wolfskin ones in black. Great gaiters but you can't see any ticks that may have attached themselves to the gaiters. I prefer to tuck my trouser legs into my socks.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
If the ticks hate tea tree oil. I'm wondering if it might be possible to make your own tick repellant possibly using beeswax as a base and something like olive oil. I'm going to look this up. Obviously it will only be a repellent but if you can repel boarders it will lessen considerably the chances of being bitten .

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Found a couple of recipes to make a spray on repellent for dogs using citronella and rose geranium. When I have a bit more time I will write this out and post it as I don't know how to post links to other sites and I'm interested in something for humans too. I'm going to have to wait until I can get to the library computer but I'm sure those of you who have a computer can research yourselves. It seems entirely possible to use something more natural than deet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE