SASS ventile smock replacement

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 6, 2011
Staffordshire
Hello,
Having lost a lot of weight my sass ventile smock now dwarfs me unfortunately. Just wondering what people's views were on a replacement. Considered Fjallraven G1000 but not sure‍♂️

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’ve had one of these on for a couple of weeks, it’s not bad at all. I think it could do with a Fabsil as the outer does wet and creates a cold evaporation in the wind. Seems waterproof, certainly very windproof.

https://hollandscountryclothing.co.uk/products/hoggs-waterproof-smock-jacket

Ok, it’s not a SASS, but it’s quite a decent looker, hand pockets have waterproof zips, and I was caught in a heavy shower today that soaked it, but I stayed dry underneath. A bit like Ridgeline in this respect, they wet out, but are waterproof. In fact, that’s also a Ventile issue, the wetting and evaporation. I can see my Fjallraven Anorak 8 going up for sale soon, in terms of waterproof I’d stay drier wrapped in a towel with a couple of waxed cotton handkerchiefs sewn on the shoulders.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
As it happens I've only recently retired my SASS smock too, worn the heck out of it almost every weekend ( shooting, hunting you name it ) since I bought it what can't be far off neatly two decades now so you could say I've got my money's worth out of it. I say retired as I can't bring myself to bin it, silly how we get attached to inanimate things. Absolutely without doubts one of the best pieces of kit I've ever bought, as to what I replace it with I don't know.

Jun 6, 2011
Staffordshire
Thank you for the input, to throw another option into the mix, what are views on the 'Nomad' smock, a waterproof membrane sandwiched between fleece, seem to have a good following with Scottish stalkers, I realise not a direct equivalent to ventile. And if there was an interest Welchyd1, I would sell the sass smock

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
Have you considered having one commissioned by a maker so that you get exactly what you want?
With an Arktis Smock and a fashion brand Fishtail parka I went to the tailor of my wife. I had the Ventile cloth (from an old Ventile-Overall-project which I gave up), bought all zippers, buttons, laces - even my favourite end caps for the laces etc. I wanted her to take the outer cut (and the position of some pouches) from the long fishtail parka, and to make all the details (hood, closure system, velcro etc.) like the Arktis Smock (+ some minor things changed). It was expensive but she did a great job, every single detail is just perfect. It is now a long double layer Ventile fishtail parka, charcoal, accessories all black, with many extra features. And it's a real dream.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE