Bear G possible fine for eating frog

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Grylls is a hyperactive, silly sod looking for attention. Give me Ray Mears any day of the week, he is a joy to see and hear. Doing things in a calm and educational way.

Reactions: Woody girl

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Horse for courses, they present different skills. Which I would hope would be fairly obvious.

BG is an entertainment show and is about survival so can be extreme as he is engineering situations to demonstrate when you would use the survival skills.

RM - based on the one show I watched - seems to be about traditional bush craft and living with nature or using old fashioned skills.

Someone further up summed it up, BG on a mountain with a broken ankle RM around a campfire drinking whisky (although it is more likely to tree sap)

For me a quote from each, I’ll let you work out who said what...

“It tastes rank, but will keep you alive”
“ mmm lovely”

I prefer BG as he is entertaining and you can pick up skills that you hope you never have to use, I found RM a bit smug and condescending, doing things I don’t want to ...

Sent using Tapatalk

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
According to 'Wikicelebinfo" Mr Grylls net worth is $20 million, and Mr.Mears, £750,000. So a fine for eating a frog is not going to hurt.

Reactions: santaman2000

greencloud

Forager
Oct 10, 2015
Newcastle
According to 'Wikicelebinfo" Mr Grylls net worth is $20 million, and Mr.Mears, £750,000. So a fine for eating a frog is not going to hurt.

£20m eh?
Hmmm. Thats about 1000x my net worth. Would I drink urine, funnel turtle guts up my bum, climb Everest and all the other weird & wonderful stuff he does for that sort of money?

Too bloody right I would!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Why compare BG & RM? If you think they're doing the same thing and it's valid to compare then you're mistaken.

One is about imparting an almost ideological approach to being in the outdoors. Empathy with the natural world and sustainably being in nature

The other is about entertainment of a greater mass if people by being in the outdoors in an entertaining way. For example he takes celebs out of their comfort zone to challenge them while lightly interviewing them for entertainment of his target audience.

IMHO I watch both for different reasons. RM to learn about traditional outdoor crafts. BG to see a celeb being pushed into silly food choices and into activities I would like to try once despite fear of heights (such as skinning across a gorge on a rope). Both entertain me for different reasons.

So I ask why do people on here criticise BG for not being RM? I'm not RM and I doubt you are neither. Does that mean what we do outdoors should be criticised too?

As someone said upthread, RM sometimes comes across as smug. Anyone see that clip of him canoeing in Canada with a person who at that time was a known British writer on canoeing while singing badly a French trapper's song they would sing when canoeing with their load of furs to keep time. IMHO that was as pointless as the things BG has done. Why not get a local crew to do it on a proper boat as a reenactment?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As someone said upthread, RM sometimes comes across as smug. Anyone see that clip of him canoeing in Canada with a person who at that time was a known British writer on canoeing while singing badly a French trapper's song they would sing when canoeing with their load of furs to keep time. IMHO that was as pointless as the things BG has done. Why not get a local crew to do it on a proper boat as a reenactment?
To be fair I expect the original French trappers probably sang badly also. After all they were trappers, not musicians. As you stated the songs were just a way to keep cadence much the same as modern military marching troops. (And we weren’t especially good singers either)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Traplines are on the ground. Or at least around the perimeter of beaver ponds. Trappers travel their trap lines.
No senese in announcing your presence by bellowing out some sick animal call song.

It was the fur traders who were in the boats, eating their way through 90 lb bison hide bags of pemmican.
They were like floating general stores with eveything from beads to blankets and flintlock rifles.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
It's about time someone came down on him for his stupid antics.

it's all calculated entertainment for a majority who never leave the comfort of their living room, and eating protected frogs gets his name in the media. (And a couple pages of discussion on a bushcraft forum). :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE