It's Enormous and it's Coming Toward You!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
01-FoxSquirrelTitle.jpg

Things are a bit slow so I thought I'd post a link to an article that talks about tree squirrel alarm calls.

Tree squirrels are vigilant, always on the lookout for predators. They're also loudmouths!

If you're tuned to what squirrels are saying, you can use it to your advantage. You can detect unseen animals, and minimize your own disturbance as you walk through the woods.

This article shows you how to do it. Have you ever used squirrels to find animals while you hike?

It's Enormous and it's Coming Toward You! How to interpret Squirrel Alarm Calls (Audio)

- Woodsorrel

Reactions: Erbswurst

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I remember walking home from school through the woods and a squirrel shouted at me, making those 'kuks' calls [slowly though] and also bobbing up and down as it did so [it was maybe 16ft up a tree trunk, facing down towards me]. Having no knowledge of squirrels I could still tell it was upset with me for walking too closely to its tree :)

Reactions: woodsorrel

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
" The title gave me chilling flashbacks to the odd drunken times in seedy nightclubs."

Ah! so you've met big Helga in the Cape Horn Bar on the Reeperbahn in Hamburg too, have you Gonzo...?

Black Birds are good at Woodland alarm signals too, with their loud chattering calls when disturbed. :thumbsup:

I remember walking home from school through the woods and a squirrel shouted at me, making those 'kuks' calls [slowly though] and also bobbing up and down as it did so [it was maybe 16ft up a tree trunk, facing down towards me]. Having no knowledge of squirrels I could still tell it was upset with me for walking too closely to its tree :)

That's awesome, mousey!

It turns out that our innate language skills make it surprisingly easy to learn "bird language" or in this case "squirrel language." Other types of communication are harder for us to pick up on. For example, if you can see the squirrel you may notice it uses "tail flagging" to communicate its emotional state. This is different from the way most of us communicate. So it often passes unnoticed.

- Woodsorrel

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’ve had a tutting squirrel nigh on attack me while working in a tree. Properly freaked me out, I nearly fell out. Unfortunately the tight rope and harness prevent me legging it away quickly. It shot out on a branch when I started the saw, so I cut the branch off. :D

Reactions: MrEd

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Works both ways. You can't be a stealthy deer hunter in the forest without a squirrel announcing your every move and position.
Just a little .30-'06 x 165gr pill. I managed to shoot off the perching branch. HAHAHAHA!! 15' fall to grab another. Silence.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I think they understand us too.
They understand our .mood

I had some rats, one after the other, and I am convinced, that rat and squirrel are nearly the same.

My rats (Rattus Norwegicus Domesticus) even learned the meaning of words.

In the end I could command "comfortable!" and they immediately hanged around comfortable!

They aren't so far away from us as people want to believe.

I know an old man who has a wild deer and some wild racoons in the forest, who visit him every summer evening. They all sit around in a circle and they listen him playing the guitar. Really!

He told me he did it with wild Elephants in Africa too.

Reactions: MrEd

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Yes animals and birds like music. I have sat in my garden playing my native american flute and watched the birds line up on the fence and roof ridge. When I've stopped they fly away. It's amazing. I'm not even a good player.

Yes animals and birds like music. I have sat in my garden playing my native american flute and watched the birds line up on the fence and roof ridge. When I've stopped they fly away. It's amazing. I'm not even a good player.

Fascinating suggestion, Woody girl. I need to try that with my own Native American style flute. I'll start with A# and see if that works. I already know that my neighbors react to my flute playing. But I've become good at dodging thrown objects. :)

- Woodsorrel

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
They seem to like a mid tone not too high like a penny whistle and not bass toned. I have no idea about scales or what mine is but they seem to like it.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
mammalians prefere deeper sounds too, altus and bariton.

And they like longer tones more than short ones.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Maybe it's because I try to copy birds songs and they come to see what sort of Robin or blackbird has such a sore throat! My old dog used to howl everytime I played amazing grace on the penny whistle . I was never sure if she enjoyed it and was joining in or howling in pain!

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Thanks god your are British!

Buy the way: Germany is an ugly, smelling and totally unfriendly country.

Nothing to see there!

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've been to Germany somewhere in the black forest. (I got very lost) It was fabulous. ! Beautifu area, friendly people , and odd food!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE