Bowl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Very nice work Mark goodjob

Knots seem to feature a lot in your carving, it that by choice or chance?

Cheers Steve.

Bit of both on the knots, sometimes by choice as i think they add nice character if you can incorporate them, other times they just appear and its been a lot of work to get to that point so i carry on.

People seem to be afraid of knots in wood, they are fine as long as you take your time with them, follow the grain and if for food use, make sure they are nowhere near a place that is going to get covered in food and therefore dont harbour bacteria

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
That's a lovely bowl. I love wooden bowls and have some lovely charity shop buys. I've not tried to make one. Maybe this year I should try, though if it's anything like my spoons it will be wonky!

Reactions: Kepis

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Brave heart to work in willow. Some of it is so boney when dried.
What did you do to prevent cracking?
I do like that shape. Did you undercut the ends for hand-holds?

For the watchers, can you please add a short list of gouge sweeps
that are effective for bowls ( besides crooked knifes and adzes for rough-outs.)

Nativewood

Forager
Feb 9, 2015
Caledonia
This, i find, is a rather good gouge for bowl making: https://woodsmithexperience.co.uk/shop/product/ashley-iles-curved-carving-gouge-2-x-18/

db_file_img_1464_1000x1000.jpg

I have no affiliation to the company making or selling them, merely a satisfied customer who is pleased with the performance of his gouge.

I must also add the my Nic Westermann large Twca Cam is also great for bowl carving especially with the long handle I put on it which gives extra leverage using it two-handed. Not made any bowls for a while as I need to make a new bowl horse.

https://nicwestermann.co.uk/shop/greenwood-carving-blades/65mm-twca-cam/

65mm-TC-1212.jpg

Again, no affiliation, etc. Just a huge admirer of Nic's tools and abilities.

One of the Hans Karlsson dog leg gouges for finishing the bottom would be good as is my Dave Budd one.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE