Hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Can recommend dd hammock and tarp as best value for money. It's a favorite with most bushcrafters I know. Snugpak comes in second.. if you have a bit more cash a hennessy. I have dd and hennessy . Prefer dd.

Reactions: Darryl of Sussex

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
"Easy Hammock" would be my first choice, cheaper option would be the "DD". Have used both and both have very good points to recommend them. The DD is a tried and tested solution which has a good history and has had a few nice extra touches over the years giving a hammock by which, I would suggest, other are ranked against. My daughter and I have owned 4 over the years and no complaint The EasyHammock while that bit dearer is a much better solution. Having a built in under quilt makes life that bit easier. For me, however, it is the huge amount of space in the Easy Hammock which sets it above the others. The DD is that bit tighter, not so tight as to rule it out by any means. I used to use a sleeping bag as a quilt and the fact I could then snuggly tuck the edges of the bag around me and they would stay in place worked great for a good few years. On the other hand the cut of the cloth the Easy means it hangs that bit different, plus the extra material, allowing for a so much wider hammock therefore no side squeeze. If you are coming for the whole of the Moot, I would say the extra for the Easy is very much worth it.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
A good bag is a must in a hammock as you are not fully enclosed. If it's warmer you can use it like a duvet. In the cooler months nicely zipped up. I would say an underquilt is a godsend, but then I'm getting old and rheumaticky. Since swopping to the dd with underquilt from the hennessy without one, comfort levels have improved dramatically and I can use a hammock later into the season than I would with the hennessy. Get the biggest tarp you can as it gives a larger dry area to keep your kit dry and work under. That was the drawback for me in the wet with the hennessy. I have a 3x3 but am considering a 4x4 for next season. The 3x3 gave me plenty of room realy but being greedy I'd like a bit more.

Jan 13, 2019
Gallifrey
I have a 3x3 tarp that I have yet to practice tarp kwon do with but I reckon hanging out in a hammock might suit me well.

If there’s a bustle in your hedgerow, don’t be alarmed now, it’s just a sprinkling for the May Queen.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
A while age I got a DD 4x4 tarp. I had been happy with the 3x3 but thought the extra space would be nice. Having got it the extra space is FANTASTIC. I understand 3x3 equals 9 and 4x4 gives me 16 but in fact that is 7sqm more usable space. Yes it can be hard to pitch in some spots but it is soooooo worth it.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
A good bag is a must in a hammock as you are not fully enclosed. If it's warmer you can use it like a duvet. In the cooler months nicely zipped up. I would say an underquilt is a godsend, but then I'm getting old and rheumaticky. Since swopping to the dd with underquilt from the hennessy without one, comfort levels have improved dramatically and I can use a hammock later into the season than I would with the hennessy. Get the biggest tarp you can as it gives a larger dry area to keep your kit dry and work under. That was the drawback for me in the wet with the hennessy. I have a 3x3 but am considering a 4x4 for next season. The 3x3 gave me plenty of room realy but being greedy I'd like a bit more.

I just got both, 4x4 dd tarp and a dd frontline xl hammock. Got both over the last week or so, therefore unable to comment. But agree 100% on the need for more space and warmth as I'M 65 TOMORROW :eek::eek:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I have to say that I enjoyed my Easy Hammock when I sleep in it for the week of the Autumn Moot and I'm planning on sleeping in it for the Winter Moot as well, the convenience and warmth of having the insulation built in are great. In the Autumn I just had a really thin down blanket so I'll upgrade that for the winter and I'm sure it will be fine.
For the Summer Moot when it's obviously going to be warmer there's a version with less insulation than my summer one, it packs down to a reasonable size.
Not having to carry a separate sleeping mat or the cost of a separate mat is a good offset against the easy hammock.

I've used (and have)DD, Hennessy and others, ultimately they all do the job, but I'll be sleeping in the Easy Hammock next month! I'm also looking forward to seeing Waynes Amock 3 hammock...

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
TW and DD are staples over here without breaking the bank. If you are after an inexpensive multifunctional bit of kit I can recommend the poncho/hammock/tarp from TW. I can hand on heart say it is the most comfy hammock I own I also use the hennessy and the hornet. The pht is heavier and a bit bulkier but it's bomb proof and long for a uk hammock. About £20 and you can get a separate bugnet on flea bay for a tenner. Not the norm but just a thought

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE