Quorn?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I have always loved Quorn. I like the texture, the versatility.

I usually bought the "neutral" flavoured pieces, and added to currys and other casseroles, but last week I bought one that comes as a thick sausage, in a plastic 'sausage skin", called Meatless Roast

Even better product than the bits!
The evening I cooked it we had panfried Boudin Noir sausages ( a French blood sausage) which is quite fatty, and it is nice to have something lean also.
I let it defrost, cut it in 1.5 cm slices, and gently fried on locally produced raw coconut oil mixed with olive oil.

It was awesome!
Taste, consistency, all.
I find the main negative with Quorn is the cost, it is ridiculously expensive.....
I always buy the neutral, as I find both the Beef and Chicken flavour having an heavily artificial tang to them.

Anybody else enjoys Quorn?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Me :)

I like the texture and the natural/vague mushroom taste. I don't like the fake meat taste stuffs.
The roast is very handy. It slices up and it does brown with frying or roasting, gives depth to the taste, and it can be sliced up thinly and marinaded to make sandwich fillings, or pieces for curry, etc., in place of tofu.
It's handy, it fills the space in recipes that use meat. Like lasagne, or tortillas, and their sausage patties are happily eaten by carnivores too/

It's not very expensive here, and we can usually find it on sale in the supermarket. Big bag of mince is £1.39 just now in the local Tesco.

I do wish they made it without egg, but that's my only 'beef' with it.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The egg content stumps me a bit too. There must be an alternative. Alginate is one. I guess it is the cost?

I do not understand why stuff needs to have a (any) meat flavor.
I like my veg taste like veg. As Quorn has a natural funghiesque flavor - fine!

Mr Ed, have you tried the coarse Tofu? Much, much firmer than the 'silken Tofu". More bite in it.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
If they made it more chewy I'd eat quorn, Oh and changed the name the word quorn has the mouthfeel of vomit.....or maybe that's just me lol

Reactions: Fadcode

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
I hate that bland, featureless mushy rubbish that acquires the taste of whatever it's cooked in/with.
I sometimes wonder how they actually manufacture it.
And yes, please get rid of that artificial brand name if you want it to appeal to ppl like me. Perhaps getting somebody other than Mo Farah to push it? My darling veggie partner likes it though. I reckon it's for ppl who don't use spices anyway
Rant over!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
It gets a good ‘chew’ if you fry it sliced.
Not muchy at all. And you can season it as much as you like.
Unseasoned meat, specially chicken and the beef you buy in supermarkets, is very tasteless and bland!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I just kind of think of it as solid mushroom.
Folk season meat all the time, Quorn takes on seasoning fairly easily.

I admit that I do like Tofu too though. Not terribly keen on TVP (husband calls that stuff 'tortured vegetable protein' ) or seitan.

It's name comes from the Leicestershire village of Quorn,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quorn

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The name is stupid.
How it is made? They grow a fungi cell culture, concentrate, micx with eggwhite, some salt, extrude and cook.

Yes, sounds disgusting! Colour it green, Soylent Green!

Since I stopped smoking and drinking neat vodka/rum I enjoy Tofu more. Even Silken Tofu, as long as it is Extra Firm.
TVP I never had. Seitan? Sounds like a Japanese WW2 era machine of some sort.
Never tried.
Tempeh is weird imo.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tonight I had cauliflower roulade with kale (with celery, mustard seeds, onions, good olive oil and salt) and lentils made with mirepoix, bayleaves, rosemary salt and pepper.
It was very good :)

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
The name is stupid.
How it is made? They grow a fungi cell culture, concentrate, micx with eggwhite, some salt, extrude and cook.

Yes, sounds disgusting! Colour it green, Soylent Green!.

Yup, it has that processed "quality" of soylent green. And if i want mushrooms, I go and pick some!
Janne, do you think they'll show me a 3d film of how the planet used to be if I ate that stuff? :):):)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I thought Soylent Green was actually made from dead bodies ? and how on earth do you know what the quality of it is? :D

Quorn isn't made from humans, thankfully.

Hear ? do you know what happened to the vast majority of mummies dug up from medieval period onwards ?
They were ground up and sold as Natron, which was a remedy right up there with the tiger bones and monkey feet :rolleyes:

Still not quorn though :D

Thing is that mushrooms go mushy if fresh, and dried isn't quite the same thing. Quorn provides both a protein and a texture that's palatable to most, and without any hassle.
It's not to everyone's taste, but then, neither is meat or even textured vegetable protein.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not a lot of taste to tvp, Janne.
It's the stuff most used for meat style veggie burgers and mince though. It's really cheap to produce, it does take on flavour and keeps texture, but it's pretty blah really.
I think you'd have more fun with seitan, which is basically gluten.
Tvp is dry though, and it keeps very well indeed for years and years if kept dry.
I do keep it in the pantry, and I do use it, just it's not terribly inspiring.

There's a reason there was space in the market for Quorn :)

Clayze

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2018
West Sussex
I suppose it's a little bit like comparing chicory to coffee. I've tried Quorn in it's various forms, sausage mix,chunks and mince. It won't be finding a place in my slow cooker with a generous measure of ruby ale and other delectable goodies.

Reactions: MrEd

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I thought Soylent Green was actually made from dead bodies ? and how on earth do you know what the quality of it is? :D

Quorn isn't made from humans, thankfully.

Hear ? do you know what happened to the vast majority of mummies dug up from medieval period onwards ?
They were ground up and sold as Natron, which was a remedy right up there with the tiger bones and monkey feet :rolleyes:

Still not quorn though :D

Thing is that mushrooms go mushy if fresh, and dried isn't quite the same thing. Quorn provides both a protein and a texture that's palatable to most, and without any hassle.
It's not to everyone's taste, but then, neither is meat or even textured vegetable protein.

M

Soylent green is people!!!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well it was 'supposed' to be soya and lentils :rolleyes: but it proved to be something else entirely.

Pretty gross concept really, though a dish of stewed lentils is rather good....recipe available if required :D I'm having some with dinner tonight. It makes a very good side dish, and Son1's Italian girlfriend assures me that little Italians are exhorted to, "Eat your lentils! they'll make you strong and healthy!". Sounds like our Grands and porridge, doesn't it ?
Right enough, my Grandpa liked singed sheep's heid, and he lived to his late nineties with all his marbles intact, so apparently eating sheep brains doesn't make you a zombie.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I suppose it's a little bit like comparing chicory to coffee. I've tried Quorn in it's various forms, sausage mix,chunks and mince. It won't be finding a place in my slow cooker with a generous measure of ruby ale and other delectable goodies.

Well no, but then it doesn't need slow cooking to make it edible, iimmc ?

Humanity is the Cooking Ape. We can make almost anything edible by cooking it. Somethings need a lot of cooking, and some is just not worth the bother.

Each to their own :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE