Bites causing blisters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
Sat night at the Moot after clearing up etc I got nailed a few times, not sure what it was but they seem like horse fly bites, two on my right calf, one on my right shin and a few on my inner ankle, they're all weeping a bit and incredibly itchy, my ankle ones have all blistered, it's about 2x3" of blisters, a couple have opened up/come off which is an inconvenience....

I'm just wondering if any of you guys and galls get the same thing? I've not had it like this before, Horse flies do effect me more than most but i'm not used to blisters, I can only think they're in a place doesn't cope with being bitten!

Anyone else get/had this?
so you got bit too Tony? you saw my blisters... they left scars and i'd really like to know what insect did it... the only horsefly bite i ever saw left a long gash, which is why i didnt think it was horsefly... my hammock and tarp were tied to a tree that had big ants ascending, so i wondered if it was them getting all territorial :/ i'll google Eurax cream...

I also wondered if it was because i had a higher amount of sugar in my blood, making me a tasty option... I also wondered if it was because of the dip i was camping in with lots of leaves (don't remember the correct term for that)...

This next moot, i shall have less sugar in my blood and will keep my eyes peeled... will probably hang my hammock on firm ground too, see if all that makes a difference.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The blood sugar, the bugs cannot detect from a distance.
Instead, I'll bet on the volatile terpenes and aldehydes in your exhaled breath.
You stood out like a smoke signal. Fruits, oh banana-breath.
Even peeling an orange leaves orange oil spurts all over your hands and clothing.

Reactions: Toddy and MrEd

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
The blood sugar, the bugs cannot detect from a distance.
Instead, I'll bet on the volatile terpenes and aldehydes in your exhaled breath.
You stood out like a smoke signal. Fruits, oh banana-breath.
Even peeling an orange leaves orange oil spurts all over your hands and clothing.
i dont remember if i had any fruit... i my have had a bag of apples in a bag, but i dont think i had an citrus.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My point is that your exhaled breath is a fog of attraction, drifting away from you like a flag in the breeze.
I was guessing at the substances. The kinds of things that you can smell so easily in any kitchen.
Mosquitoes have things called Johnson organs on their heads which can "see" your warm carbon dioxide.
What caused the blistering reaction, you have to find them!

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
My point is that your exhaled breath is a fog of attraction, drifting away from you like a flag in the breeze.
I was guessing at the substances. The kinds of things that you can smell so easily in any kitchen.
Mosquitoes have things called Johnson organs on their heads which can "see" your warm carbon dioxide.
What caused the blistering reaction, you have to find them!
Sorry? I have to find what? confused :/

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
i was trying to find them... may have been ants... am thinking i will camp on harder ground next time and wear two layers of clothes and tuck trousers inside socks and wear boots instead of open sandals... will also avoid trees that have ant convoys... see what happens then... was even wondering if it was a spider... anyway, will be much more observant next time. thanks for your input :)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Have googled bites causing blisters and it says skeeters midges and gnat bites can cause itchy blisters in certain people. Cure? Be less certain and wonder about things a bit. Hee hee . Seriously though, these afore mentioned critters are probably to blame.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If your skin is dirty, a bite, even a tiny weeny one, can get infected and you can get small pus filled blisters.

To prevent that, the easiest is to use a quality bug repellant.

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
Have googled bites causing blisters and it says skeeters midges and gnat bites can cause itchy blisters in certain people. Cure? Be less certain and wonder about things a bit. Hee hee . Seriously though, these afore mentioned critters are probably to blame.
maybe my chemistry has changed then... i never used to get these kinds of blisters but it would seem lots of peeps having similar. i was using a midge repellant but will take some citronella candles with me next time and more spray... and even more spray :woot:

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
If your skin is dirty, a bite, even a tiny weeny one, can get infected and you can get small pus filled blisters.

To prevent that, the easiest is to use a quality bug repellant.
i was showering every day so i doubt it was dirt... prob just a new reaction to normal bites...

Reactions: Janne

Turnstone

Apr 9, 2013
Germany
I have the same problem with some bites. Itching like crazy, and with blisters on top. Nothing helps once it's swollen and blistered.

But for me it helps a lot when I rub fresh plantain leaves (Plantago lanceolate) on the bite as soon as possible. The fresh sap of the leaves prevent the swelling and blistering and the terrible itching, the bites end up like harmless midge bites, just a small red dot which itches but not terribly. Around here I usually can find some leaves, but I made a tincture to carry with me. Fresh leaves are better, but the tincture is better than anything else I tried.

Reactions: Toddy

juliojordio1983

Forager
Oct 15, 2015
Blackpool
I'm amazed that no one has mentioned 'Smidge' :eek:

I've been on four, five day trips out to Galloway Forest, from early May to now. The first trip I had some Jungle Formula DEET stuff. I got absolutely nailed.

Before my second trip, I was in Tamarack Outdoors, and Mike suggested I try some Smidge as he knew I was heading back up North. Honestly, its amazing stuff. Over the next 15 days I spent up there, I had no mozzie bites, no horsefly or deer fly bites, just the odd midge nibbling my ear where i had missed a spot of skin when i applied it. The best thing about this stuff, is its DEET free, smells great, and actually moisturizes your skin. Cost about 8 quid for a can of it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE