Boot Wax

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My home made dubbin recipe - it works well!

125g Lard

200g beeswax

130g neetsfoot oil

25g pure turpentine

Melt them all together.

A fairly stiff mix best warmed into leather as you work it in – or add a little more oil to the mix

Reactions: Mowmow

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I use either leder gris or g-wax.

Used to use kiwi till it ruined a pair of lowa boots (Over many years in fairness).

I remember 'back in the day' we got issued 2 pairs of combat high's. We were told to get them soaked then we laced them tight and a went a tab in them. After that back in the block and mountains of kiwi pilled on, seemed to do the trick of softening and waterproofing them.

Thank Christ things have moved on.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I used the last one, the one called Nygammal Ladersmorjning you can buy from Vildmarks hornan, for around 30 years
The boots I have been using since -79 until last year, RedWing Irish Setter boots, first I used RedWing Mink oil and RedWing Mink fat. Then after about one year I switched to that fat, after a Mink Oil, ( not RedWing brand).
I used the boots daily for three years, then every week a couple of days.

Having said that, I used a home made fat too, with more birch tar than the commercial products.

The boots were almost red when I bought them, and as I was in the Armed forces, it was not the correct colour, so the first week I used a high tar mix, to darken them.

I followed a regime the first week my dad taught me.
Sounds horrible, but here it is:

You wee inside the new boots, and make them really wet. You wear them daily until dry. Takes about a week.( Then the high tar fat outside to darken then as I wrote). Oil, wax product.

I had to replace the soles 2 times, to original Vibram soles.
The reason I had to stop wearing the boots is that my knee can not take the weight of the boots anymore.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE