Venison sausage/burger recipes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Hi all, would appreciate if you'd share your favourite venison/burger recipes with me! Got 2 freezers full of venison and ordered an old fashioned meat minced yesterday. Especially interested in what ppl use for fat content and what ratio? Trust me, all replies will be appreciated :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I get them made for HWMBLT by a friend. The friend's father-in-law is a butcher, and he saves the fat from Popeseye steak for the venison burgers. He uses the shoulder of the venison for the burgers/ square sliced sausage (he's got a tin to make Lorne sausage) and he adds rusk and the seasoning mixture from this fellow,
https://www.tongmaster.co.uk
Tongmaster is only about four or five miles away from us, so a bit local. He does sell by mail though, and his stuff is good. Even his vegetarian mix is good :)

M

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Hi all, would appreciate if you'd share your favourite venison/burger recipes with me! Got 2 freezers full of venison and ordered an old fashioned meat minced yesterday. Especially interested in what ppl use for fat content and what ratio? Trust me, all replies will be appreciated :)

No, total waste of time, I think you should pack it up and dispose of it.

I'll PM you the address to send it to for disposal :)

(sorry, can't help with the recipes, I never have enough venison to turn into burgers or sausage).

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
When I do food using minced wild meat, I mix it with finely minced fatty bacon or pancetta.

Another way I do ( makes it cheaper too as wild meat is crazy expensive here) is to mix the ground ‘wild’ with ground fatty pork. About 1/3 pork.

For sausages I use pork fat I have cut off and saved ( freezer) from when I buy pork when making casseroles with pork meat.

Reactions: Sundowner

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
No, total waste of time, I think you should pack it up and dispose of it.

I'll PM you the address to send it to for disposal :)

(sorry, can't help with the recipes, I never have enough venison to turn into burgers or sausage).

I do appreciate your kind offer, however, postage to the Welsh countryside is.prohibitive. HOW about i let you know when i get deer of my pal ( (35 -.40 quid.per carcass) and you meet me in Cumbria and I just let you have one of them? I.always get a minimum of two???
Would that be something of interest to you? I will endeavour this coming year to do my firearms license and supply should get better then!

Reactions: Toddy

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
I get them made for HWMBLT by a friend. The friend's father-in-law is a butcher, and he saves the fat from Popeseye steak for the venison burgers. He uses the shoulder of the venison for the burgers/ square sliced sausage (he's got a tin to make Lorne sausage) and he adds rusk and the seasoning mixture from this fellow,
https://www.tongmaster.co.uk
Tongmaster is only about four or five miles away from us, so a bit local. He does sell by mail though, and his stuff is good. Even his vegetarian mix is good :)

M

HWMBLT??? He who must belied.to??? Or

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's just ammonium carbonate, and it works well in biscuits and small cakes.

If you roast it, the ground up antler, then it used to be used to settle diarrhoea.
If you soak the hartshorn in water to make a liquor, then it's a fairly decent detergent too.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
It is an important raising agent in traditional Scandinavian cooking. Still used widely today.

Sprcially now during the Lucia and Christmas celebrations!

I would not put it is any Venison meat based food though!
:)

I guess it is the Ammonia that cleans?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
San Francisco sourdough yeast is a modern recognized species of Saccharomyces.
My great grandfather used it during the Klondike gold rush days in the Yukon Territory.
We still have many of the gold nuggets. No sign ever of cooked antlers. Thin soup.
Nobody allowed up the Chilcoot Trail without enough staple food for a YEAR on their backs.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The ammonia (NH3+) raises the pH into alkaline conditions.
This makes a lot of very stubborn molecules water-soluble so that they can be flushed away.

Reactions: Janne

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
The most complete coverage of venison prep, from skinning and butchering to casseroles and sausages, look up Scott Rea on you tubr, lor his web site. All sorts of game covered.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I do appreciate your kind offer, however, postage to the Welsh countryside is.prohibitive. HOW about i let you know when i get deer of my pal ( (35 -.40 quid.per carcass) and you meet me in Cumbria and I just let you have one of them? I.always get a minimum of two???
Would that be something of interest to you? I will endeavour this coming year to do my firearms license and supply should get better then!

That's a very kind offer :)

I am travelling up the Northumberland coast next year though if that would be more convenient :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
For all the hundreds of thousands (yes) of deer harvested across North America every year, nobody mentions Cabela's.
Window-shop their catalog for every possible piece of butcher's equipment that you could ever need.
I buy the Hi Mountain cures and seasonings plus there are a thousand recipes on the 'net.

Buy a pound of beef mince with a measured fat content.
Mix up a little seasoning. Try it. Try another.
I found one Hi Mountain spice mix that is absolutely terrible. Up to you this winter.

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
For all the hundreds of thousands (yes) of deer harvested across North America every year, nobody mentions Cabela's.
Window-shop their catalog for every possible piece of butcher's equipment that you could ever need.
I buy the Hi Mountain cures and seasonings plus there are a thousand recipes on the 'net.

Do they ship outside of Continental America?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes they do.
Remember though that all electrics are for 120V, but you can just get a transformer in worst case.
Lots of useful outdoor stuff they have, plus useful clothes too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE