Small hatchet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
Hi all,
After a small camp hatchet and been looking at the GB wildlife. Owned one a few years back and it was brilliant, but I cannot see me being able to afford one again anytime soon, so I was wondering are there any cheaper makes out there that are of a similar shape and size to that of the GB wildlife?
Many thanks
Jon

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
What do you plan to use it for? Head mass might make a lot of difference.
Except for top quality wood carving adzes, I wouldn't look at any camp axe or hatchet of less than 1.2kg/2.6lbs or so.
Almost all of my horticulture stuff is Fiskars, even axes. Functional.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
At the sake of sounding like an old record, if funds are short get down to the flea markets or car boot fairs and find an old English axe head for a few quid. The old makes are every bit as good as the current fashion ones at a fraction of the cost. A wire brushing, sharpening and a new handle and it will last years - spend the money on something else.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
A Husqvarna Wooden Hatchet is about the same weight and can be had for £25ish. I have one and it's ok, the edge does seem to chip a bit on mine (probably my fault).

I prefer a smaller axe I picked up for a few pence in a local house clearance/auction place. Loads about if you look.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Some time ago now I found a Gilwell Park boy scout hatchet, not very big of course but if it was good enough for the scouts back in the day, well it it does a job, though cutting down the mighty douglas fir is probably well beyond it's capacity.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I see your location is Wales. If you're anywhere near Crickhowell there's a charity based there called Tools For Self Reliance and they usually have a decent stock of restored hatchets and axes.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
To give new life to an old, rusty axe gives a good feeling.
Even the process of restoration itself is very satisfactory!

Rubber handles are an abomination, you get nasty blisters really quickly if you have soft hands.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
At the sake of sounding like an old record, if funds are short get down to the flea markets or car boot fairs and find an old English axe head for a few quid. The old makes are every bit as good as the current fashion ones at a fraction of the cost. A wire brushing, sharpening and a new handle and it will last years - spend the money on something else.

Couldn't agree more, I do frequent the car boots and markets but not been lucky enough yet. I did pick up a lovely old morris bilhook this summer, but I don't get on with it.

Bionic

Forager
Mar 21, 2018
Bomber county
I used one of these for years. It’s not exactly traditional and I have to admit I had my doubts about the shaft but they turned out to be unfounded. The only reason I replaced it with a Gransfors wildlife hatchet was that I lost it during house renovations

Reactions: Jonboy83

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
It is Fiskars......
Finnish quality. Lasts for donkey's Years!

The handles are ultra strong. Glassfibre reinforced polymer?
It does not fray ( fibers poke through surface) even after years of abuse. ( If it contains glassfibers!)

Confession time: I have several Fiskars tools. Axe, 2 x brush hooks, a bunch of scissors. The China made ones are junk, the Finnish made ones excellent.
A foldable saw .
I do not like foldable saws, but you guys made me buy one.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I use quite a variety of Fiskars pruning tools, what with grapes, apples and so on.
A couple of really shirtty clipper designs which I repaired but the bigger things are brutally durable.
Let's just say that my uses are eiter casual or seasonal, axes included. Not 8 hrs/day.
The Fiskars things will outlive me by a long shot.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
What annoys me is that we buy 'affordable' stuff which is near useless. Either we use it and swear, or buy next affordable piece, of another brand ( - might be better !) which is just as bad.

I think I have been through a secateurs/clipper every two years, until my wife splashed out on that Swiss one.

Instead of buying a quality piece that will last for a life time, which is expensive, we just buy, buy, buy. In the long run - very expensive!

Last edited by a moderator:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
What pi$$es me off that we buy 'affordable' stuff which is near useless. Either we use it and swear, or buy next affordable piece, of another brand ( - might be better !) which is just as bad.

I think I have been through a secateurs/clipper every two years, until my wife splashed out on that Swiss one.

Instead of buying a quality piece that will last for a life time, which is expensive, we just buy, buy, buy. In the long run - very expensive!

I have a 25 year old pair of Wilkinson Sword secateurs still as good as new! 'Swiss-made' isn't the only decent tool maker!

Anyway, this has nothing to do with the OP buying an axe :)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Sorry about the swearword, and offtoppicking!

To the OP:

GB make beautiful axes. But you can get the same function and quality by buying a different brand.
The wood handle is a weak point.

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
I used one of these for years. It’s not exactly traditional and I have to admit I had my doubts about the shaft but they turned out to be unfounded. The only reason I replaced it with a Gransfors wildlife hatchet was that I lost it during house renovations
I like that ☺ definitely one to consider

Reactions: Janne

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The positive with those brightly coloured items is that they are not so easily lost.
Drop a Gränsfors on a nicely vegetable covered forest deck and you can easily forget it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE