Zebra billy. 14 or 16cm?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jonboy83

Forager
Nov 2, 2011
Wales
Hi folks,
I'm getting myself a new Billy can in the new year and have decided on the Zebra.
Now I already have the 10cm, but as my trips are now seldom alone I find it a bit small for me. The 12cm doesn't look to be much bigger, so it's the 14 or 16cm, But I can't decide which one! Any one have any experience or advice? It would be easier if I could go and see them on the shelf somewhere but alas, I am viewing them on a phone screen with a tape measure and guestimation!
TIA
Jon

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I have a 12 and 16, the 16 is more than enough for several people and will boil a couple of litres of water, just think it’s better to big, rather than too small!

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
The 14cm is listed as holding 2.5l and the 16 as 3.5l if that's easier to visualise? I tend to like a wider bottom on a pot when I cook so prefer a larger one if weight isn't an issue.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The bigger the better. Nothing can jump out and you can cook more whenever you need to.
Wider bottoms must be better for eggs and such?

I have a nested set of restaurant kitchen stainless steel bowls in my kitchen.
Everybody laughs at the sizes. Until I ask them to stir up something realy big and messy.
Then I hand them a 40 (cm) and the ingredients.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Have a look into the Tatonka kettles.

They call them kettles but its just a name, definitely still pots. I prefer them to zebra's since they're more shorter and wider than taller and narrow, spreads the heat better. The handle sort-of locks in place, the lid can be used as a plate or frying pan.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tatonka-St...e=UTF8&qid=1545126824&sr=8-9&keywords=Tatonka

I have the 1.6L, which would probably do 2 people. That, a good metal mug and a frying pan is all i take if i'm feeling fancy. For the frying pan look into the larger non-stick version by trangia, reasonably cheap. MSR do an Alpine frying pan thats all stainless if you prefer.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Better for trekking is the toaks 1600 ml titanium billy can.

Or if you are alone the Tomshoo 750ml titanium billy can / mug.

And the ultra light Opinel Carbone.

And so on.

Because you have to carry it all on top of your heavy and bulky hammock project!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I knew there was a value in the thick handles on my wooden spoons.
Been a tradition to toss in the crabs and lobsters live. I think they die pretty quickly.
Mussels, clams and oysters can't jump.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
14 is big enough I found the 16 far too big although
I totally agree with others get a Tatonka or a Dave Canterbury bush pot or metal mug per person and a frying pan.

I also prefer the Tatonka to the zebra's For the shorter and wider better than taller and narrow, spreading the heat

When out on my own without he kids it’s always my crusader metal mug and or a frying pan.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE