Can you prescribe nature ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
At the worst times (business not going well, house on the line for the bank loans, IR claiming we'd underpaid, marriage suffering under the stress, kids not getting enough of my time, problems with a couple of staff just not pulling their weight, paying their mortgages as well as mine …. and on and on ….) I would not have survived without a) the simple meditation techniques I had been taught, and b) the ability to walk out of the back door across the fields and into the woods.

All worth it in the end - there's always a tomorrow (well, until the last day anyway) :)

Reactions: Janne

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
We all need some form of release in these stressful times, and whatever floats your boat, stick with it, myself driving is my release, I actually enjoy traffic holdups, long queues etc,they no longer bother me, I am very lucky as it is very rare I actually feel stress, I suppose I am now to young to worry, and too old to care.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Weird, I thought I was the only one here loving cars and enjoying driving!
I never have the radio or any other distraction on. I listen to the engine sound.
Love it.

My son enjoys driving with me too, but then we put on some real music. Rammstein. Feindflug. Kraftwerk.
Slow with windows down.

Scares the reggae lovers here....
But soothes our stressed out brains!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Weird, I thought I was the only one here loving cars and enjoying driving!

Neh, there's a few closet petrol heads on here - bikes and cars.
When I was running a 300hp V6 I used to turn the radio off to listen to the engine on nice country roads where there were lots of go-through-the-gears corners.
On the sports car I have now a radio at full blast would be no use at all above the engine noise :)
But, for relaxation and destressing, I prefer the Bonny; I'm not tempted to ride fast, have to concentrate so no mind wandering to worrying things, and I have a grin on my face from the moment I leave home to when I get back :)

Sorry, all that was rather off-topic - I can destress using quite extremely opposite experiences - fast loud cars vs peaceful woodland, rock music vs bird song etc. :)

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
It is the opposites...

I love the 'silence' of nature, even if it is not a true silence. have you guys slept in a woodland of the European Larch?
The 'hiss' of the needles is the nicest sound I know. In late autumn, if you pitch a shelter in a such forest, the falling needles make also a fantastic sound.

My hearing is quite damaged from shooting but I can still hear that. Faintly.

On a psychological level, our brains are made for 'natural sounds' and not for what we are bombarded with today.
Hence the healing properties.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Yes my motorbike does it for me too. A lovely warm sunny day. A gentle ride over the moors. The smells and sounds that you miss in a car. Meet up with some pals, chat, jokes, a bit of a ribbing, a cuppa and something to eat then maybe a ride to somewhere else or a fast run down the duel carriageway. I'm a teenager again with no worries or aches and pains (untill I get off!)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
It was known already in the 70’s that they had to move it.
Fantastic opportunity to design a very well functioning town. Well functioning from every aspect such as parking to recycling.
Most buildings will be new, built to the highest energy efficiency standards.

The nature is quite boring in that part of Sweden. It becomes nicer closer to the Norwegian border. More mountanious. Going the other way, south east towards the Bothnian Bay it becomes more filled with deep woodlands.
Great bushcrafting area!

Last edited:

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Some of the space on our allotments is taken by a mental health initiative, that provides amongst other things short bushcraft courses for people experiencing depression and anxiety.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes, there is no need to trek across the Gobi to get closer to nature and breathe some fresh air!
Dirtying your hands in soil, preparing, planting and harvesting is just as beneficial for our mind.
Or even doing not much, sitting under an Apple tree one breezy Autumn.
Just think of Newton!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE