Bulletproof sleeping pad

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Yep you read that right , I'm looking for one... :)
Jokes aside what can you recommend to me maximum 50 quid is the budget, want to upgrade from my thermarest ridgerest to something that won't hurt the sides when sleeping so , I am thinking about multimat nato, what else can you recommend ? has to be durable and someone more comfortable then a closed cell foad mat

Thanks

Thorgrim

Dec 12, 2015
London
I have had a Vango trek inflatable sleep mat for 3 or 4 years now and it has proved a great bit of kit. It has foam insulation inside it for winter use and although quite thin it is nice and comfy.

Quite cheap at less than £35 so no worries about damaging it.

If you fancy something fancier then a friend of mine has a Robens sleep mat (Breath 90) that is more of a hiking mattress. Very luxurious.

Reactions: Gcckoka

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Colleague on another forum posted a bum mat made of army towel and waxed cotton. I wonder if a thornproof skin might help armour a cheap sleepmat. Its the cheap ones that tend to pop, split, leak, wear etc. I splurged on a NeoAir ... seems good so far ... touch wood.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Yep you read that right , I'm looking for one... :)
Jokes aside what can you recommend to me maximum 50 quid is the budget, want to upgrade from my thermarest ridgerest to something that won't hurt the sides when sleeping so , I am thinking about multimat nato, what else can you recommend ? has to be durable and someone more comfortable then a closed cell foad mat

Thanks

I think you're already onto the right idea. Keep hold of the Ridgerest pad as they are very robust and good at keeping you warm, but pair it with a simple self inflating mattress. The Multi-Mat Nato issue is very good so long as you don't over inflate (it's more comfortable to have them soft anyway). I have the Multi-mat Summit Expedition 38 and have been very impressed with the overall build quality.

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
I have found a 2nd use for my 'seat-pad' (£1.50 from China via Ebay)
Weight 25 grams (1 oz)
8mm - 10mm thick
Folded size: 137mm * 95 mm * 58 mm

I am a 200lb side-sleeper and find that my hip is 'always' almost grounded except with the heaviest thick foam sleeping pad (which are too heavy for carrying on a regular basis)

The answer was to use my 'seat-pad' and slide it under the sleeping pad, it gives a little more lift to the sleep-pad and a bit more 'give'.
I did try with it between my sleeping bag and sleeping-pad to spread the load (but I am a bit of a 'mover') it did not stay where I wanted it.

To quote the supplier :

"when you sit down on the ground, bottom no longer afraid of cold, dust and wet pants"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Durable-XPE-Foam-Cushion-Pad-Portable-Folding-Waterproof-Mat-For-Camping-Picnic/263145126981?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=20140122125356&meid=1ba8e7e3e25540e3b6c12f7f07b15a78&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=2&sd=123364178539&itm=263145126981&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I've got a couple of the Multimat Nato issue mats - very good, not overly heavy, and pretty robust. They are coated on both sides of the fabric, so a bit more resistant to puncture, the slightly grippy coating makes them harder to slide off, and if they get wet you can wipe them down and dry them in an instant. They are very short though being a 3/4 length mat. Using a rolled up coat as a pillow on the ground off the top of the mat, my knees to my feet still hang off the end. For that reason, i usually use a 'highlander base xl' self inflating mat in colder months- certainly not a premium mat by any description, but long and comfy, and i won't cry too hard if i puncture it and need to buy a second.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
I have had the same 3/4 length Thermorest self-inflating (with a bit of help) mat for almost 33 years now. It cost a lot when I first got it as a young 'un and parents were a bit shocked at what I'd paid (can't remember what, probably involved groats or shillings ;)) but it has lasted. As others have said (and no doubt will say), if you pay for quality, you'll get it. I displace 76kg (13 stone-ish) and have not had problems with bony bits. My mat is no more than 20mm thick. From what I've seen, the UK military issue 3/4 length ones may well be Thermorests and friends who've used them rate them.
Just my 2d worth.

Reactions: Billy-o

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I don't own it, but the klymit insulated static V seems to be good.
Heavy duty freaks do recommend them.

They are available in Camo.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
If you want comfort the the Dirtbag by alpkit is the thickest mat i've seen and the best i've used, excellent in winter;

https://www.alpkit.com/products/dirtbag

On sale for less than £50 at the moment.

The issue 3/4 length mats are fine and i'm still on my original. It doesn't fully inflate on its own anymore but i just top it up before use, i sleep with my legs off the mat, usually on or in my bag. You could get them new for £20 on ebay not that long ago.

Reactions: Crowe

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Ok, the Finnish one would appear to be resilient! A bit heavy, but clearly tougher than my Thermarest.

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
I like the Thermarest ridgerest, but the only problem I found with it was in winter. If you are not careful and get snow on it, it collects in the ridges and doesn’t brush off easily. The pockets of snow then melt under your sleeping bag during the night, making it damp.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
YES, THAT IS THE PROBLEM.

If it is cold, it snows on the mat. Condensation water in the mat becomes ice.

And if you get a hole, perhaps you awake in the morning and have to discover, that unfortunately you are dead.

Does bullet proof means spark resistant?

If you take the mat for comfort, it doesn't matter. If you rally need it, closed cell foam is the only answer, we can give.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE