Ray Mears - tarp criticism

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BushDaddy

Jan 5, 2014
Felixstowe
Haha I have given up on rolling mine, I just stuff it now and it’s the same tarp. Served me
Well over the last decade :)

But does it pack as small? Thats the only reason i do it. I stuff my sleeping bag as all the air can escape and so it makes no difference

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
Yup, I stuff tarps into stuff sacks every time now. There's little difference in overall size. If you use an oversized bag it is easy to squash it down into any irregular, empty space in your bergan, a rigid bundle can be harder to pack efficiently. That's my current thinking and practice anyway.

I first posted in this thread years ago, I've changed the way I do a lot of things since then . . .

Geek

Dec 20, 2018
North West
In my very limited experience, I thought it was best to stuff the trap into a dry bag. This method is also recommended on the MCQ Bushcraft YouTube video.

Reactions: MrEd

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I lasted posted in this thread 8 years ago and I am still using the same tarp lol changed my cordage slightly to thin dyneema (longer lengths and thinner so packs better)

My tarp is lasting just fine, I also use it as a load cover for the landrover from time to time aswell.

Brit army sheet shelter GS. Cost me a tenner, good value for money I reckon!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE