Staniforths severquick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hbc

Nov 1, 2018
North Wales
Have a rough condition hatchet I bought at a car boot sale for a couple of quid a few years ago that I'd like to know a bit more about. It's branded Staniforths severquick does anyone know anything about them? Especially the quality of the steel? I'll restore it and put a proper handle on of its any good.
I don't know how to post pictures or I would :(:banghead:
Tia

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London

Hbc

Nov 1, 2018
North Wales
They were a well respected company that sold tools across europe, untill they were taken over by Spearwell in the 60's, which then became Spear and Jackson.
Most axes from back then were made of quality steel, so I would say you have something worth restoring.

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Thomas_Staniforth_and_Co
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Staniforth_&_Co
Thanks I assumed it would be a decent quality axe but I'd never heard of them before. Some idiot has put a run of weld across it on one side over the severquick writing but it doesn't look to be a very deep weld and doesn't go near the edge so I hope it hasn't damaged it too much. I have nothing to lose by trying anyway :)

Hbc

Nov 1, 2018
North Wales
Had a bit of a go at the axe this afternoon. Took of the very poorly made handle and grinded off the run weld that had been out on it and sanded all the nasty black paint off the head with a flappy disc on the grinder. It's been abused badly at some point the paint was hiding a lot of dings, dents and pitting in the metal work...
But it looks great! It has real character to it and even better it sharpened up surprisingly well with just a very quick go over on a bench grinder. I have a plan for this axe. I'll keep you posted with how I get on with it. Just wish I know how to put pictures up.

Reactions: crosslandkelly

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Are you both full members? it maybe a full member facility.
Alternatively you can upload your pics to an image hosting site such as Ingmur Dropbx and Flickr. Then you can use the image url to upload an image here.
Using this button.
IMG_20181117_191208.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Not a full member. That probably explains it.
I cannot log in to pay up, anyway. Every few months I try 5X and quit.
Maybe I use the wrong color of electronic money?

I just tried again.
There is a leafy button which says "Not a Full Member? Click Here."
So I do. Get a messy log-in command which has never worked, +/- profanity.
I guess BCUK is SOL.

Hbc

Nov 1, 2018
North Wales
I'm not a full member. I did have Dropbox on an old phone but I haven't had this one very long I will have to see if this one came with it. If it does I'll see if I can get pictures up that way or download something that can do it. I'm enjoying this forum so a way of getting pictures up would make it even better :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE