Leather Splitter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trail Snail

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2009
Wales
I dabble a bit in leather work and all the tools that i have purchased have been budget options but are perfectly adequate for the jobs that I put them to.

I have wanted a splitter for a while and have downloaded plans for homemade ones but never gotten round to making one.

A****n now have cheap Chinese ones for a price that makes constructing one not worth the effort: https://www.amazon.co.uk/JUNERAIN-A...d=1540548172&sr=1-8&keywords=leather+splitter

For just over 20 quid delivered I am thinking of giving it a punt.

Anyone used one or have any observations?

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
It looks to be ok, but until you get it and try it out....

They are pretty foolproof as lonf as the blade angle is adjustable so you can get it paralel to the rollers. The fact that it takes razor blades is good as long as you can clamp close to the edge to avoid flex. For the price i would say worth a go ☺

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I bought a leather splitter made out of aluminium profile bar. This one also takes razor blades, and although the overall design and the rigidity of the bar is really quite good, the idea of using a flimsy razor blade is just so gobsmackingly stupid that I wonder what was going on in the head of the person who dreamed it up.

I tried using it a few times, thinking at first that I must be doing something wrong to wreck the blade so quickly. But no matter what I did, it just did not work.

At about the same time, I bought a different kind of splitter. This one looks a little bit like a parcel-tape dispenser, like you'd use in a warehouse for closing boxes. With this one, you attach one end of a leather strap cut to width to a wall or bench, and pull this tool along the leather. I've not yet used it, but the blades are much more sturdy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE