Bivvy from a hammock.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Hi guys, one of my customers had a pure genius moment, a fantastic way of using your hammock as a bivvy.

Kevin called that "One tree bivvy":

All you need is one tree/sapling and a stick, which should also be perfect to support a tarp. Looks like it gives plenty of living space comapred to DD idea of hammock bivy.

What do you guys think, I'm gobsmacked how obvious this is :)

(hammock used was a diagonal lay type, with ridgeline which gives support also on the ground).

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Isn't it the same?

Both are simply wrong attached hammocks.

A bivvy bag is something else in my opinion.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
There is something funny about the photos of the hammock set up on the ground, with a forest of suitable hanging trees in the background :D

I have seen this arrangement before, as said, with Hennessy originally. When I have tried it, just to try, I have not found it comfortable. The problem I have had is that I can't lie flat, the head end tie point means that I am sitting up a bit, which in turn means that I tend to slide down to the foot of the hammock, which means that if I have a sleeping bag in there it is getting compressed by the hammok. Also, if I put a roll mat in there with me, for insulation, the width of the mat at the foot end seems to put a lot of strain on the bug net.

I guess different hammocks might handle this differently. I tried it with my original Hennessy and the foot end bottom entry was a huge faff. Tried it also with my UKH Woodsman X, which is shorter and wasn't all that great either.

Its a nice idea if you are somewhere really bug invested, but my attempts failed to achieve adequate bug net lift, room for sleeping, or a comfortable lying position.

I need to check out Shugs videos. So far I have only ever seen photos of hammocks set up like this, not seen pictures where people are using them, or read reviews where the user has tried sleeping in it.

Chris

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'm confused :)

I'm not sure I understand this at all; it looks like a solution trying to find a problem. OK, if I find myself nearing dark with no trees and there are swarms of biting insects around I can see I may want to get into my hammock with the net up and using a couple of poles to hold the line taught would achieve that. But, I normally don't sleep with the net up anyway (I just put some repellent on when I go to bed and have never been bothered; also keeps the slugs at bay BTW). You'll need to put a groundsheet under you (unless your hammock is waterproof) and you'll need a tarp over you if it's raining. The hammock under-blanket won't act as insulation because it's compressed. So, if your going into an area you know has no trees I think there are better solutions - and they work where there are trees as well!

Am I missing something?

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I think, it is ment for countries, where usually you can find only one tree in the forest or landscape.

;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE